Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oath Keepers

Oath Keepers

Anybody have any interaction with the Oath Keepers. Was interested in finding out more about them. Looking for some opinions on them.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil125 View Post
    Anybody have any interaction with the Oath Keepers. Was interested in finding out more about them. Looking for some opinions on them.
    I probably don't know anything that you don't, but I've always considered them to be good folks.
    Returns June 3rd.

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Their postings on Facebook have all been extremely Patriotic and pro gun. Probably totally in line with what most of us believe around here.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I'm a bit back and forth on this one.

On the one hand it's nice that they are giving thought to how they will (or should) react in some situations.

But on the other, it seems like an oath that waters down a different oath. They already took an oath, and now they are saying "except if this happens". The oaths they took already, well most of them I assume, included a part about taking the oath "freely and without mental reservation or purpose of evasion". And some of the oaths the oath keepers take are obvious mental reservations.

For instance, one of the oaths is "4.We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state." Well, I don't like the idea of Martial law or a "state of Emergency" any more than anyone else. But that doesn't mean those are automatically "unlawful orders".

It is in fact constitutional to suspend Habeas Corpus.

Quote Originally Posted by Article I, Section 9, Clause 2
    The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it
    And of course many state Constitutions give governors the power to declare something akin to a state of emergency.

This could in fact be a time when the citizens need help from these people the most, such as in natural disasters. If the Oath Keepers intend to sit those out....well that's not exactly keeping the original oath they took.

Overall, of course, I'm sure they are fine people. People who serve the people and are concerned that the government might attempt to use them as tools against the people. Obviously this is a real concern, and having the organization exist at least allows others know that they may not be alone if they choose to disobey certain orders they may believe to be unlawful.

Probably the most important aspect is that is lets the government know its Military and LEO's, or at least a good size segment of them, feel this way and are willing to publicly say so now, which hopefully will make the government think very carefully before attempting to "try anything shady".

That's nice and all Kad but the rebels are in dc, violating the constitution you're taking that line from. And using that same excuse they themselves created for doing so.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    That's nice and all Kad but the rebels are in dc, violating the constitution you're taking that line from. And using that same excuse they themselves created for doing so.
    And one assumes our founding fathers put it in there because they thought it might be necessary...

They are full of shit. I'm not saying there bad people but if they really were upholding there oaths they would already have done something about it. Talk is cheap. The questin you have to ask yourself is what would our founders be doing right now.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    They are full of shit. I'm not saying there bad people but if they really were upholding there oaths they would already have done something about it. Talk is cheap. The questin you have to ask yourself is what would our founders be doing right now.
    Running for office and getting elected and saving the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I think you may be expecting too much. They aren't swearing to hunt down and execute leaders they think might be giving unlawful orders, they are only saying they don't plan to follow unlawful orders

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    And one assumes our founding fathers put it in there because they thought it might be necessary...

.... to one day save the nation from oath breakers in office violating the same constitution.

.... to one day save the nation from oath breakers in office violating the same constitution.
    More of a function of the 2nd amendment

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    I'm recently an annual member. I want to support it (for now). They have decided to become operational, such as rotating a watch at the Bundy Ranch. I'm interested to see how they evolve.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Yea how's that working out for us...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    I think you may be expecting too much. They aren't swearing to hunt down and execute leaders they think might be giving unlawful orders, they are only saying they don't plan to follow unlawful orders
    Well they should be doing exactly that "to protect and DEFEND the Constitution of the United States of America". Does anyone understand and comprehend English anymore.

"Yea how's that working out for us..."

The regime wants nothing more than for someone patrioticaly aligned to go off the deep end and try to start a civil war. A true founder would beat the regime at its own game without destroying anything, by running for office. Have you considered running for office?

"Oath Keeper" seems like an oxymoron to me. Isn't the whole point of an oath? To, um...keep it?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    "Oath Keeper" seems like an oxymoron to me. Isn't the whole point of an oath? To, um...keep it?
    That "I was just following orders" worked out well for those at Nuremberg.

To be successfully elected into office no matter what your political party means you had to sell your ideals out to get in.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

That "I was just following orders" worked out well for those at Nuremberg.
    Maybe the feds should start up an alternative group called "Order Followers".
    Face your fear, accept your war.

"Yea how's that working out for us..."

The regime wants nothing more than for someone patrioticaly aligned to go off the deep end and try to start a civil war. A true founder would beat the regime at its own game without destroying anything, by running for office. Have you considered running for office?
    Sure if you are rich enough to buy your way in, then stir the pot too much you will be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Phil125 View Post
    To be successfully elected into office no matter what your political party means you had to sell your ideals out to get in.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast