Thread: Bood Pressure (Hypertension)

Bood Pressure (Hypertension)

Although most of my postings here have been political, this post is about health. For the past couple of years my blood pressure has been out of control which is a concern for many reasons including a family history of heart attacks. My doctor has over the last year put me on 4 medications to lower my blood pressure, but it has stayed at 170/110 or thereabouts. A couple of months ago I started taking a supplement called "Got Arginine" and my blood pressure has dropped to 130/80. If I stop taking this supplement my blood pressure goes back to being extremely high - if I resume taking it my blood pressure drops. Just thought I would pass this along.

http://www.amazon.com/Morningstar-Mi...s=got+arginine

It is good it works but i would discuss the supplement with your DR. I have been on meds for BP for about 3 yrs now, under control most of the time. I have read that about 5% pf patients have a lot of trouble with the current meds on the market and nothing seems to work for them. Mine always go's up 10 to 15 pts just going into the Dr's office, white coat syndrome so to speak. Hate Dr,s office with a passion. But then again i worked in a hospital for 38 yrs., now retired. Anything to do with a medical bldg drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by rshaneck2002 View Post
    Mine always go's up 10 to 15 pts just going into the Dr's office, white coat syndrome so to speak. Hate Dr,s office with a passion. But then again i worked in a hospital for 38 yrs., now retired. Anything to do with a medical bldg drives me nuts.
    Same here. They have to take mine at the end of the visit when I'm about to leave.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Yeah, my BP reads high in the Dr's office. Plus, I usually do a hard workout at the gym the previous day and am sore which drives it up too. I take my BP every morning along with blood sugar. I am in the normal range usually....chris3

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I've been on HBP meds for about the past 30 years, or so. Had it in high school, but the doctor I saw then said that all red-headed people have high blood pressure (he had red hair, too) and not to worry about it. So, for quite a while I didn't. Then, at another doctor's office, he told me it was far too high and put me on meds for it. Hasn't been a problem since. It averages about 130/70 every time they take it.

I read somewhere that most heart attacks occur in the early morning hours, right after the person gets out of bed, so I switched from taking them in the morning to taking them before I go to bed at night. So far, I haven't had a heart attack early in the morning...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14 miketx's Avatar

I ordered some of it to see what it does to my poor circulation in my legs and my bp. Since the gov has decreed that people in my bp range (140/90) are now normal. I haven't found anything that stops my leg pain and have been to different drs to no avail.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Alismith you're hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by miketx View Post
    I ordered some of it to see what it does to my poor circulation in my legs and my bp. Since the gov has decreed that people in my bp range (140/90) are now normal. I haven't found anything that stops my leg pain and have been to different drs to no avail.
    what kind of leg pain?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by miketx View Post
    Have you had your blood sugar checked lately? chris3

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I've been on HBP meds for about the past 30 years, or so. Had it in high school, but the doctor I saw then said that all red-headed people have high blood pressure (he had red hair, too) and not to worry about it. So, for quite a while I didn't. Then, at another doctor's office, he told me it was far too high and put me on meds for it. Hasn't been a problem since. It averages about 130/70 every time they take it.

I read somewhere that most heart attacks occur in the early morning hours, right after the person gets out of bed, so I switched from taking them in the morning to taking them before I go to bed at night. So far, I haven't had a heart attack early in the morning...
    All those morning heart attacks are probably caused by the early morning deep sleep dreams about all those nekkid hot wimmin. Old farts just can't handle that....chris3

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sleep Apnea can give you high blood pressure. First sign is heavy snoring while asleep. Other signs, waking up and feeling like you've been up all night. Every time you sit down you start to nod off. I've been on BP meds since 2001. Once I got a diagnosis and got a CPAP my blood pressure became so low they almost couldn't get a reading at the Dr.'s office. I had to cut my dose in half and still my BP is about 110 over 74 most of the time now. Don't ignore heavy snoring like I did, it almost killed me due to sleep deprivation.

The leg pain is numbness and and having to pick up one leg to get in the car after I've been on them for a long time, cause it hurts to bend one leg too far. Actually hurts like a bitch. Yes I have checked my blood sugar and I'm not diabetic. For two years, I walked 3 to 6 miles a day at work or more, but know I can't because my legs hurt! The best I can do now as the seg boss is clock about two miles a day. If I could could just turn the pain down some. And no, I won't take narcotic pain killers(hydrocodone) unless it gets much much worse.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw

Have you tried an anti inflammatory? Etodolac works great for me. It is perscription though.....chris3

Anti inflames dont help me.