Thread: Trying to trade my 1927 Ithaca double barrel shotgun.

was_peacemaker

Trying to trade my 1927 Ithaca double barrel shotgun.

I inherited this shotgun and its in good shape. Not great but good. I have heard these old Ithaca shotty's are loved by the hunting crowd. It seems they can bring in a pretty penny. I would be happy trading it for a Glock or a decent revolver. What should I do? How can I get the old gun appraised?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I always comp the price with gunbroker.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    I inherited this shotgun and its in good shape. Not great but good. I have heard these old Ithaca shotty's are loved by the hunting crowd. It seems they can bring in a pretty penny. I would be happy trading it for a Glock or a decent revolver. What should I do? How can I get the old gun appraised?
    PM me a photo of it.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

or I'll give you $150 for it... lol
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    PM me a photo of it.
    Gotta find a decent camera.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Gotta find a decent camera.
    Tell me what condition it's in and how much you want for it.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Tell me what condition it's in and how much you want for it.
    I would say good condition. Right now I don't know what to ask because I am seeing the prices for these things all over. Its a NID model and the serial number best I can tell makes in a 27'. But I am seeing prices go anywhere from $300-$700 online. Pricing old guns is so much harder than pricing guitars. LOL
    Last edited by was_peacemaker; 04-21-2014 at 01:54 PM.

was_peacemaker
    Here is an idea of what it looks like. Mine is not quite as nice as this...and honestly I don't think its worth no $1250! LOL But this is about what I have. I will borrow my sisters camera and take some pics.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/ITH...n_id=100395354

NRA MODERN GUN CONDITION STANDARDS:

NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.

PERFECT: In New condition in every respect. (Jim's note - in my experience, many collectors & dealers use "As New" to describe this condition).

EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).

VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.

GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.

FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

NRA ANTIQUE FIREARM CONDITIONS STANDARDS:

FACTORY NEW: All original parts; 100% original finish; in perfect condition in every respect, inside and out.

EXCELLENT: All original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.

FINE: All original parts; over 30% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood; good bore.

VERY GOOD: All original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised; bore disregarded for collectors firearms.

GOOD: Some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned or re-blued; principal letters, numerals and design on metal legible; wood refinished, scratched bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.

FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or re-blued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.

POOR: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated, wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.

Other rating systems:

PERCENTAGE OF ORIGINAL FINISH SYSTEM - This system is widely used by collectors and dealers, and has been popularized by Fjestad's excellent price guide, Blue Book of Gun Values. It's important to note that this system usually refers to the PERCENTAGE OF ORIGINAL FINISH REMAINING ON THE METAL SURFACES. Note that if a gun has no original finish remaining this system does not really apply. Also, if a gun has been refinished, it would not be ratable under the Blue Book system, altho a percentage description may be used such as "90% of factory refinish remains". This is an accurate description, but if using the Blue Book as a price guide, remember that it applies only to ORIGINAL factory finish.

STANDARD CATALOG OF FIREARMS SYSTEM - The Standard Catalog of Firearms by Ned Schwing is an excellent price guide, especially useful since it's photo illustrated. It uses condition rating terms that use the same words as the NRA system such as "Excellent" "Very Good", etc. However:

WARNING!!! - Std. Cat. of Firearms Definitions are very different than the widely accepted NRA standards. Their definitions are roughly similar for Modern guns, but their Antique gun standards are radically different. For example, an antique firearm that rated "Excellent" under NRA Antique Standards might only rate "Very Good" under the Std. Cat. of Firearms definitions.

OTHER PRICE GUIDE SYSTEMS - Any time you refer to a price guide, the first thing to do is to check the definition of firearm condition standards, to see if it's the same as the standard NRA system, or has different definitions.

more: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Media...px?mediaid=509