Thread: Shooting Groundhogs With Shotgun

Shooting Groundhogs With Shotgun

What type of shot shell would be best for shooting groundhogs at about 40 yards using a Trap gun?

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    What type of shot shell would be best for shooting groundhogs at about 40 yards using a Trap gun?
    What gauge are you talking? At 40 yards the groundhog is going to have a lot of time to move after the gun report so with a shotgun it seems you would be pushing it. With a 12 gauge I would try a load that is known for distance! Something that duck and goose hunters use. Think about it they are shooting way up in the air to knock down a moving target with thick feathers.

This is a high velocity 3 inch shell shooting #2 shot at 1500 FPS. I figure on groundhogs in might do the trick if your pushing 40 yards. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/esta...e-p-73196.html

What kind of shotgun are you using? Gauge? Barrel length? Also what kind of choke do you have on it?

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    What gauge are you talking? At 40 yards the groundhog is going to have a lot of time to move after the gun report so with a shotgun it seems you would be pushing it. With a 12 gauge I would try a load that is known for distance! Something that duck and goose hunters use. Think about it they are shooting way up in the air to knock down a moving target with thick feathers.

This is a high velocity 3 inch shell shooting #2 shot at 1500 FPS. I figure on groundhogs in might do the trick if your pushing 40 yards. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/esta...e-p-73196.html

What kind of shotgun are you using? Gauge? Barrel length? Also what kind of choke do you have on it?
    I have two shotguns - a Saiga-12 (not sure what the choke is) and a Beretta Silver Pigeon (which I believe has 28 inch barrels which have screw in chokes - I have an Improved choke in one barrel, modified in the other. I probably have a Full choke for this gun somewhere around the house.

was_peacemaker
    I have two shotguns - a Saiga-12 (not sure what the choke is) and a Beretta Silver Pigeon (which I believe has 28 inch barrels which have screw in chokes - I have an Improved choke in one barrel, modified in the other. I probably have a Full choke for this gun somewhere around the house.
    If you can use the Beretta Silver Pigeon with a full choke for that kind of job. Less spread but better distance. With some 3 inch # 2 shot shells. I am pretty sure that Beretta will fire 3 inch shells.
    Last edited by was_peacemaker; 04-24-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

A rifled, slug barrel shooting sabot rounds and using a 3-power scope.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I never hunted woodchucks w/ a shotgun. I prefered to use my Inland .30 GI Carbine loaded with soft-point rounds. It did a pretty good job on them and didn't make a mess to boot.

Number 4 or 3in nitro steel BB
    I like .22lr

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I always used my Savage .243 w/ soft points for groundhogs... I'm curious as to why you'd even bother with a shotgun.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I always used my Savage .243 w/ soft points for groundhogs... I'm curious as to why you'd even bother with a shotgun.
    Kind of hard to explain without a drawing, but one of my neighbors has dragged a Camper into the woods right on my property line that is about 250 yards from my house. I normally shoot groundhogs from a window with a .22 mag. Now the camper is in a direct alignment with the shot I would be taking. I have a way I can walk up on a hog getting between them and their hole which would result in a shot at a moving target (they would be running for the hole) so this is why I am thinking of using a shotgun.