Thread: Termite Protection

Termite Protection

I just got an estimate from Terminix to install bait stations around my house and detached garage, i.e., baited with Sentracon or whatever it is that they the call the Dow produced termite bait/poison. The estimate was $2600. This seems like a lot of money to me.

I can get and use a do-it-yourself product per the link below for probably one tenth the price. Does $2600 sound reasonable? It seems like a lot of money to me. Of course with the $2600 and a $350 fee per year thereafter they claim to cover any future termite damages to your house. I do see some web postings claiming instances were some people claim Terminix did not honor their protection agreement. What do the rest of you do (if anything) for termite protection? I should note my house currently does not have termites.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-Te...te+bait+system

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I just got an estimate from Terminix to install bait stations around my house and detached garage, i.e., baited with Sentracon or whatever it is that they the call the Dow produced termite bait/poison. The estimate was $2600. This seems like a lot of money to me.

I can get and use a do-it-yourself product per the link below for probably one tenth the price. Does $2600 sound reasonable? It seems like a lot of money to me. Of course with the $2600 and a $350 fee per year thereafter they claim to cover any future termite damages to your house. I do see some web postings claiming instances were some people claim Terminix did not honor their protection agreement. What do the rest of you do (if anything) for termite protection? I should note my house currently does not have termites.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-Te...te+bait+system
    Jet, I live in a stone house so don't have much need. But, $2,600 does sound steep.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

The pest control business is a ripoff. Unless you have a croc eating your pets.
    I had a friend that worked for a national chain tell me what his chemical cost and what he charged people to inspect and apply that chemical. It is OUTRAGEOUS. Charges $150 every 3 months to do a parameter spray around the foundation, windows, misc. openings and to spot treating the front and back yard. Another $80 to do a inside spray using $20 worth of chemical that you can buy. ( Depending on which state you live ) Buy your own and apply it. Don't know how or where? Look online. Read the label.

I think your link is probably just consumer grade crap by the fancy colorful box. I prefer the good stuff that burns your skin

I buy my chemicals from this place below.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ww...on_2_-_2013-22

That is a link to there termite control products. I don't have termites. I spray my house with Demon WP, and have no bug problems at all.

One reason I was interested in bait rather than some kind of spray treatment is concern over getting something in the ground water since I have a well.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    I think your link is probably just consumer grade crap by the fancy colorful box. I prefer the good stuff that burns your skin

That is a link to there termite control products. I don't have termites. I spray my house with Demon WP, and have no bug problems at all.
    Thanks for the link. I will check out the bait system at this site. I was interested in a bait system because I have a well and want to limit chemicals leaching into the ground water.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I buy mine from the same place. My poison of choice is Demand CS. Awesome shit if you can have in your state.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

LOL, I posted the same link... Borocare will kill anything that eats wood...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

+1 on the Demon WP. Last time I checked there is now a generic version at about 1/3rd the price. I'm still using the 1 pound can from 5 years ago though.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    +1 on the Demon WP. Last time I checked there is now a generic version at about 1/3rd the price. I'm still using the 1 pound can from 5 years ago though.
    They have Demon also: http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...wp-insecticide

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I will haveto look next time I buy. I am also still on my 1 lb can from a couplke years ago. I give alot away as well. It is about time to spray this year again if I can get a couple nice days in a row.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2011

I do this stuff every day. That price does sound high. How many linear feet is your home? Ours average 900 to 1200 with a 150 annual fee. A liquid treatment with Termador would be the best option. Label states if the well is within 75 feet treat the soil on plastic sheeting, let dry and refill trench. Once it bonds with the soil it is not going anywhere. Demon WP is an option but for termites the chemicals needs applied in trenches, a surface spray will not work. Think about it. You never see termites just crawling around except swarmer's and those will die quickly if they don't get into the soil. Edited to add that Borocare is usually sprayed to bare wood as a surface treatment.
    Last edited by boyd29; 04-27-2014 at 06:36 PM.