Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glocks fires by tee shirt...

Glocks fires by tee shirt...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...afety-add.html

It was in an action match, he shot the handgun and reholstered into a Serpa clone type holster and got some T-Shirt into the holster, he transitioned to his M-16 and when he took the first step, the shirt pulled taught and pulled the trigger. The gun cycled and reloaded another round in the holster, had it been the Glock 18 on full auto it would have ate his leg, or a duty round rather than FMJ.
    I think the story offered is hard to believe, what do you think?

On the down side I wonder if now the BATF will rule a tee shirt a MG since it can be used to fire a firearm remotely

The picture is real enough.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I'm sure he shot himself, I'm just not sure of the teeshirt doing it.

Not the first time a Serpa, or Serpa clone, has been involved in an ND. Not the last, either, I'd imagine.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I just took a look at a picture I have of a Glock 19. I have a hard time believing a t-shirt wrapped around the trigger and then pulled it. That is a tight curve for the t-shirt to make to get around the trigger. If I were on Myth Busters, I would probably say, after testing and blowing something up, that it was probable, but unlikely.

More evidence that Glocks are "too eager" to fire...
    Face your fear, accept your war.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Three holes from one bullet. All I can say to this is OUCH! I wonder what caliber his pistol is, as the bullet entered into the upper thigh and traveled about a foot before exiting at the lower thigh and re-entering through the upper part of the calf, still traveling another inch or two before stopping. 10mm? .357 Sig?
    Last edited by skorpion; 07-18-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I just took a look at a picture I have of a Glock 19. I have a hard time believing a t-shirt wrapped around the trigger and then pulled it. That is a tight curve for the t-shirt to make to get around the trigger. If I were on Myth Busters, I would probably say, after testing and blowing something up, that it was probable, but unlikely.
    I'm with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Three holes from one bullet. All I can say to this is OUCH! I wonder what caliber his pistol is, as the bullet entered into the upper thigh and traveled about a foot before exiting at the lower thigh and re-entering through the upper part of the calf, still traveling another inch or two before stopping. 10mm? .357 Sig?
    9mm by the story...

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Unless the T-shirt got bunched up when he jammed it into the holster and caught there. Then when he stepped forwad there was just enough pull to finish pulling the trigger. My guess it got half way pulled back when he holstered the gun. Weird stuff happens and is exactly why if I carry a gun in my pocket nothing but nothin but nothing goes in that pocket but that gun. Almost shot myself with my keys in my pocket. I am a slow learner but I learn. It's also why I don't like loose hanging clothes on the range, Old navy safety habit, always tucked in to keep bad stuff out.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Prometheus168's Avatar

Rusty
    GIG'EM AGGIES!
    Lieutenant of Correctional Officers- Texas Dept. Of Criminal Justice.
    Firefighter- Calvert Fire Department

Formerly know as Prometheus606

It can happen.
    But only if the shirt is wrapped around your finger when pulling the trigger.

Sounds like B.S. but freak shit happens. It would be a 1 in a million chance for a t-shirt to wrap around the trigger safety in the holster and fire that weapon.

Do you think the shirt would still be wrapped around the trigger after the ND? I got to wonder how they know the story is what happened or if they went looking for something after they figured out he couldn't of holstered it with his finger in the trigger (wink-wink).

I don't know but I'd like to see this Serpa "clone", too.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

I'm running a S&W M&P9 for IDPA competition and use a SERPA holster. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the t-shirt could have activated the trigger! I am using an Apex sear that has reduced the trigger pull to about 4lbs, so it's pretty light and would easily pull it if possible.

I have gotten a shirt in the way before, but still can't figure out how it would have made it's way into the trigger well. It's a pretty snug fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus168 View Post

Rusty
    Seconded
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    When I was in high school one of my friends was out rabbit hunting with a .22 pistol. He shot himself in almost the same place when he was holstering his pistol. He was a stout, muscular kid and the bullet made 3 holes. In, out and in again. He didn't try to blame his t-shirt though. Came right out and said he was stupid and shot himself by not using the gun as he had been taught.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

The more I think about this whole thing, the more I don't believe it was due to the t-shirt at all...

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    The more I think about this whole thing, the more I don't believe it was due to the t-shirt at all...
    Yep. I agree.
    I think his socks did it!

When I worked at the gun store there was a guy that claimed his brother shot himself in the leg with a glock. The best part was that it was with a galco summer comfort holster. Some people like lying, shoot yourself in the leg you just gotta lie. I call bullshit as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast