Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant What do you think of them?

Mosin Nagant What do you think of them?

I might buy 1 or 2. If I like what I hear. For 75 bucks how bad can they shoot. Ammo is really cheap. Anyone have any they like or not? Groups shot? I see they make a ATI makes a stock for them. Are these some good shooters?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They're great for blowin up milk jugs at 100 yds.

If you like guns, and your cheap, then you'll probably like mosins.

I like the Hex receivers better. They seem to be a little nicer, and the extra weight can't hurt recoil.

I'm not really cheap. I just figure for 75 bucks it might be worth having some to play with.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 04/2010 / Super Moderator

Go for it. You will love them. A great bang (literally) for the buck. And if you go with an M-44 or a M-38 or an M-59 you will get a really nice size fire ball in every shot
    I love mine...full size and a carbine, they are fun to shoot and accurate enough...plus, they have a very distinct sound
    and...for me it has a very sentimental value, my uncle and my grand dad and grand uncles all served with one....
    Last edited by Vorkutinetz; 12-18-2010 at 01:28 AM.

They are definately worth the money.

The only downside is that ammo is hard to find in person, except at maybe a gun show. Surplus ammo is cheap but corrosive. You'll have to clean it with Hoppes, or pour boiling hot water down the barrel. I've read that ammonia works to deactivate the corrosive salts.

I have a M44 and I love it. Ammos cheap and theyre a hoot to shoot.

They are good rifles, battle proven and reasonably accurate. They are so cheap you have to be careful and not let them grow in your safe to the point of taking it over

My favorites are the 1935-1941 91/30 years, many collect the Finnish models which are quite a bit more expensive. At one point I owned well over 140 mosins, now I'm down to probably less then 25, they are fun to collect and shoot.

I love mine. They are cheap, accurate, simple, powerful, and damn near impossible to destroy. I have known guys that put cheap scopes and bent bolts on them and take em hunting. With very little capital invested you could have a fairly good hunting rifle, and if you drop it in the lake and never see it again, its better to be out 100 bucks for a Mosin then 750 for a Remington.
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    I love mosins. But if your a hunter and you "still hunt", that gods dang 50 lb. safety may cost you a deer. Ask me how I know.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneok View Post
    I might buy 1 or 2. If I like what I hear. For 75 bucks how bad can they shoot. Ammo is really cheap. Anyone have any they like or not? Groups shot? I see they make a ATI makes a stock for them. Are these some good shooters?
    They are equal in power to a .30-06 cartridge. With proper hunting bullets they would be the equal to any .30-06 round in hunting abilities. What's nice about them, their low cost. You think ammo is cheap, it's 2X what it use to be. Before 2005 a case of two 440 round cans would cost me 75 bucks. Accuracy is variable, widely variable. Some are really excellent shooters and others shoot washtub sized groups. I have owned and shot many types of Mosin Nagant rifle from Finnish to Russian models. They are as a general rule fussy about what ammo they like. There are "better" / more accurate brands of surplus ammo. Czech ammo made before 1960 sucks major league, it will have many duds due to the primers. Yugoslav 170 gr. copper jacketed brass cased ammo is one of the best for accuracy. Hungarian silver tipped light ball with the gray lacquer case is another round that has proved it is accurate in a wide variety of Mosin rifle. I have also had good accuracy from Russian steel cased ammo from 1985 to 1987 years of manufacture. It has been available the least of all the surplus ammo for the Mosin rifles. I had some Russian ammo from the 1950's and it too was horrible, lots of duds. All surplus is corrosive so be prepared to clean the salts out of the bore, receiver and even the bolt group. The bolt takes down / disassembles easily with zero tools. I recommend that one does take it apart and clean all parts if you don't want it rusting up.

You can't beat them for the money. I've accumulated 900+ rds from various countries, mostly brass case/copper Yugo ammo.
    I bought one at a gun shop (91/30) for about $90 OTD.
    It was a round receiver action.
    I made into my larger bore hunting rifle. I've gotten 5" groups @ 200 yds using Brown Bear 203 gr. n/c ammo.

My other is from Aim Surplus. It's a Hex receiver (I prefer a hex).
    Right at $100 delivered. This one is dated 1925 (under tang as well) and is in excellent +++ condition. Bore looks brand new, no frosting or pits. Stock has no dings or gouges, but a bunch of inspector marks.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    I love mosins. But if your a hunter and you "still hunt", that gods dang 50 lb. safety may cost you a deer. Ask me how I know.
    How do you know?
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Ron Paul - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    How do you know?
    Har har... Thick woods, running deer and my cold hands trying to undo a safety. Deer was out of sight before I could shoot. Should of brought the Mdl 99e.

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    My other is from Aim Surplus. It's a Hex receiver (I prefer a hex).
    Right at $100 delivered. This one is dated 1925 (under tang as well) and is in excellent +++ condition. Bore looks brand new, no frosting or pits. Stock has no dings or gouges, but a bunch of inspector marks.

Did this one come with the turned bolt handle, or did you add it?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Usually when you buy a surplus one they will have a straight bolt. The bolt like that was on the sniper version.

Ron Paul - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I made the turned down bolts for both Mosins. 8-10 week waiting on Boltman to get to mine was just too long a wait. Very, very easy to do yourself.
    I can't stand that straight bolt.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Har har... Thick woods, running deer and my cold hands trying to undo a safety. Deer was out of sight before I could shoot. Should of brought the Mdl 99e.
    Mosins have safeties?????

Just kidding.
    I NEVER use mine.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Can't have just one!

Can't have just one!

NICE!!!

Like Lays potato chips.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Every firearms enthusiast should have at least one Mosin Nagant rifle and a few tins of ammo for it.

I currently have one 91-30 and a M44 - both Russian. I've had many more in the past.

The M44 shoots Wolf 200 grain ammo scary good - like 2", 100 yard groups with the open sights.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast