Thread: Oly Arms 10mm AR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oly Arms 10mm AR

Looks like Olympic Arms has solved the magazine issue with their pistol caliber AR's. Don't know why it has taken this long. Yes they are proprietary, but 19 rounds of 10mm sounds good to me.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37

I would consider a 9mm upper, because you can still find 9mm for between 10 and 15 cents per round from time to time, and its a fun blaster round at that price. At 10mm prices, I'd stick to 556. It would be nice if they could have solved the magazine issue without doubling the length and cutting to capacity by 1/3.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, but its Olympic Arms....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yeah, but its Olympic Arms....
    +1 from me

It does seem as though they could have improved on the capacity. Obviously its a single stack by the length of the mag.

What's wrong with Olympic Arms? Just wondering.

Those mags look like they were done in "MS Paint".

Quote Originally Posted by uncas1 View Post
    It does seem as though they could have improved on the capacity. Obviously its a single stack by the length of the mag.

What's wrong with Olympic Arms? Just wondering.
    Nothing. I've got two of their rifles, an M4 and a 20 incher, and they run flawlessly. The fit and finish is just as good as any other AR out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I would consider a 9mm upper, because you can still find 9mm for between 10 and 15 cents per round from time to time, and its a fun blaster round at that price. At 10mm prices, I'd stick to 556. It would be nice if they could have solved the magazine issue without doubling the length and cutting to capacity by 1/3.
    Plus with a 16" barrel full power 9mm sounds like a .22lr.

Every time I take out my SUB 2000 I get comments about how quiet it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I would consider a 9mm upper, because you can still find 9mm for between 10 and 15 cents per round from time to time, and its a fun blaster round at that price.
    Ditto when it is a fun blaster; I want the ammunition to be cheap.

How does making an AK pistol cause steel core ammo to be banned? Was it their intent? Shouldn't the blame be placed on the ATF?

Anyway, I don't see how a company like Olympic Arms going out of business would benefit the shooting community. Again, I don't know of any company other than Oly making AR's chambered in .45, .40, and 10mm. Thats enough for me to see them hang around.

Yes, the mags are butt ugly ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by uncas1 View Post
    How does making an AK pistol cause steel core ammo to be banned? Was it their intent? Shouldn't the blame be placed on the ATF?

Anyway, I don't see how a company like Olympic Arms going out of business would benefit the shooting community. Again, I don't know of any company other than Oly making AR's chambered in .45, .40, and 10mm. Thats enough for me to see them hang around.

Yes, the mags are butt ugly ;-)
    They were told what would happen before they did it and continued on, they took the opinion that they didn't care if cheap steel core ammo was available or not. And I know for a fact they were told before hand because I was one (of many) who contacted them. After the fact their story has gone from screw AK owners, they are an AR company, screw the Chinese, they didn't know, they did know, they don't care.

But that's only half of it, they are a second tier AR maker at best with plenty of QC complaints. I'd be wary of them regardless of the steel core mess from the issues I've seen people have with their weapons. As to whether it would benefit the gun community if they went away I wouldn't go so far to say that but considering the number of AR makers I doubt it would be much of a loss either. My opinion is there are plenty of good gun makers with great reps to worry about those on the 2nd tier with spotty records.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    They were told what would happen before they did it and continued on, they took the opinion that they didn't care if cheap steel core ammo was available or not. And I know for a fact they were told before hand because I was one (of many) who contacted them. After the fact their story has gone from screw AK owners, they are an AR company, screw the Chinese, they didn't know, they did know, they don't care.

But that's only half of it, they are a second tier AR maker at best with plenty of QC complaints. I'd be wary of them regardless of the steel core mess from the issues I've seen people have with their weapons. As to whether it would benefit the gun community if they went away I wouldn't go so far to say that but considering the number of AR makers I doubt it would be much of a loss either. My opinion is there are plenty of good gun makers with great reps to worry about those on the 2nd tier with spotty records.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post

When did all this take place? Obviously I'm not up on it. How does an AK pistol cause steel core ammo to be banned? (I know, that could be a whole other thread). I can understand why that would tick some people off. I guess I'm just a little hesitant in this day an age to complain about any firearms manufacturers. It's like everyone bashing Bushmaster for changing the Masada and not giving it away. I'm thankful that there was a company willing to put forth the capital and take on the liability, not an easy thing to do with an economy in the ditch and every government bureaucrat trying to destroy the 2nd Amendment.

If I get one I'll still post pics and give a range report.

I like Oly, I've shot/held/molested plenty of them and find them to be in lone with any of their contemporaries. I prefer DPMS myself, but I wouldn't sneeze at a good deal on an Oly.

As far as a 10mm AR, it's a neat novelty, and if you had a 10mm pistol.. it might make for a good pistol/carbine combo.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton