Thread: Food For a Year - Remember CostCo's "Thrive" for $999? Now Sam's Club for $887!

Food For a Year - Remember CostCo's "Thrive" for $999? Now Sam's Club for $887!

Lots of talk about "Food For a Year" regarding storage, taste, backing your intestines up, etc... a lot of you just say to buy double your canned goods at the grocery store every week of the food you already eat.

I'm looking for biggest bang for my buck for "long term" storage....

I've been teetering on buying the CostCo "Food For a Year" for one person for $999 + shipping + tax + $50 bucks non-member surcharge...

Guess what I found at Sam's Club?

"Augason Farm's Food Storage" - Most likely the same exact stuff at CostCo, just a different label... THEN, I remembered my wife had a Sam's Card/Membership from before when we were married (just found the card in her wallet)... no shipping charges, no non-member surcharges... just $20 some dollars in taxers...

85 #10 cans for $913 bucks delivered as a "Sam's Club Member"... this beats Mountai House #10 cans!

As I said before, although this is labeled as "Food For a Year" for 1 adult... with rationing, and some supplemental hunting of small game (we also have plenty of water)... I bet this year's supply could actually sustain two adults...

Right now, my wife and I really only eat one meal a day as is... My 4 and 7 year old growing kids are a different story though...

But with this one last purchase, I'd be willing to bet that with rationing for OUR family of 4 along with some supplemental hunting/fishing/gardening/scavenging AND the already canned goods/Rice/Beans we stock... I just got enough food for the 4 of us for 2 years now

I thank God I've got more than enough room to stash this stuff in my vault in the basement...

6-8 months later... IF prices remain the same or reasonable with 2012 approaching (CosCo's had the same prices for a year now), I'm going to buy one more "Food For a Year" 1 adult supply...

FWIW, I have tried a lot of this dehydrated and freeze dried food... YES, it will be an adjustment and initially I do expect us to have some bowel problems for a couple if not a few weeks... but do believe that if hungry enough, it will taste good and our bodies/constitution will adjust.

------------------

You guys might be wincing at the though of eating this stuff... but for the $$$, 85 cans for $913 delivered is a pretty darn good deal at $10.74 a #10 can! That is roughly HALF the cost of Mountain House #10 cans on average!

Oh... and here's what you get:

Granted, they're NOT "entrees" like Beef Stroganoff and Chicken Parmesian... I already have a lot of #10 MH cans of that stuff... All I'm after is calories and bulk to fill your belly here.... for the price, this menu fits the bill for me.

---------------

The kit includes a quality Wheat Grinder and a total of 85 #10 (institutional size) cans, which are:
    # Grains, Oats & Rice 3 Long Grain White Rice (47 servings per can)
    # 9 Hard White Wheat (54 servings per can)
    # 2 Quick Rolled Oats (25 servings per can)
    # 3 Elbow Macaroni (23 servings per can)

Vegetables
    # 6 Dehydrated Potato Dices (22 servings per can)
    # 3 Freeze Dried Sweet Corn (15 servings per can)
    # 3 Dehydrated Sweet Peas (13 servings per can)
    # 2 Dehydrated Chopped Onions (653 servings per can)
    # 1 Freeze Dried Broccoli Florets & Stems (20 servings per can)
    # 3 Pinto Beans (47 servings per can)
    # 3 Lentils (49 servings per can)
    # 1 Dehydrated Diced Red & Green Bell Peppers (141 servings per can)
    # 1 Dehydrated Cross Cut Celery (42 servings per can)
    # 1 Dehydrated Carrot Dices (27 servings per can)

Fruits
    # 3 Freeze Dried Apple Dices (11 servings per can)
    # 3 Freeze Dried Whole Strawberries (22 servings per can)
    # 1 Freeze Dried Whole Raspberries (20 servings per can)
    # 3 Honey Coated Banana Slices (21 servings per can)

Dairy
    # 3 100% Country Fresh Instant Milk (39 servings per can)
    # 3 Chocolate Morning Moo’sŪ Low Fat Milk Alternative (61 servings per can)
    # 3 Cheese Blend Powder (45 servings per can)

Proteins
    # 6 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Bacon (flavored) (188 servings per can)
    # 3 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Beef (flavored) (40 servings per can)
    # 3 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Chicken (flavored) (45 servings per can)
    # 3 Vegetarian Meat Substitute Taco (flavored) (33 servings per can)
    # 6 Dried Whole Eggs (56 servings per can)

Desserts
    # 1 Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix (52 servings per can)
    # 1 Blueberry Muffin Mix (48 servings per can)
    # 2 Buttermilk Pancake Mix (24 servings per can)

Misc Item
    # Wheat Grinder

A total of 85 sealed #10 cans containing oxygen absorbers are the most effective long-term method of controlling the deteriorating effects of light, moisture and oxygen.

-----------------------

And a "Wheat Grinder"? I wonder if it can grind rice and corn too? Other grains? Yeah, probably made in China and will only last a few weeks/months... I'll give a report on what it looks and functions like when I get it.
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 03-11-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Hummm. Very interesting. . .
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Very interesting indeed, I wish I had the money to get one myself. I have the space to store it in my basement, just not the funds.

Im expecting a full review Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post

And a "Wheat Grinder"? I wonder if it can grind rice and corn too? Other grains? Yeah, probably made in China and will only last a few weeks/months... I'll give a report on what it looks and functions like when I get it.
    Yes, it can, but you best look into how to crack kernels with potash or lye water first.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Yes, it can, but you best look into how to crack kernels with potash or lye water first.
    Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis? Moonshine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis? Moonshine?
    I'm very grateful for the fact that my grandfather was a farmer and my grandmother knew how important educating me both in the kitchen and out was going to be later on.

Ok, the outer husk of corn is rather hard. In fact, odds are pretty good that you'll destroy the kernel trying to bust it out, and the husk remains will make everything very bitter. There are two ways around this;

1) Soak the corn kernels in potash for 2-3 days until the husk has fallen off and the kernel has swelled. Then rinse the kernels well with fresh water. I mean really well as in 2-3 times with a fresh batch of water every time. You then let the kernels dry. At that point, you can grind them up and use them to make hominy grits, cornmeal, etc.

2) Soak the corn kernels in store bought lye/limewater (Ca(OH)2) for 2-3 days, rinse and repeat the above steps.

That's how you "crack" corn.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Also known as hominy...

Quote Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
    Also known as hominy...
    You're making me crave grits.

Brutus was a prophet.

Tag for later
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!