Thread: Box O Truth: Romanian Tok and various rounds (incl 7.62x25) against a nato helmut

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Smile Box O Truth: Romanian Tok and various rounds (incl 7.62x25) against a nato helmut

Couple good "Box O Truth" offerings for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu59.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

Not much fanfair over the 7.62x25 being the only pistol round tried that penetrated the kevlar nato-spec helmut... but it shows that the round does penetrate better than most any other standard pistol round. It is purported to penetrate even classIII body armour as well - don't know if that's fact.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Damn. It might not be a bad idea to get one of them kevlar helmets.

Also, I'm surprised the 7.62 TOK penetrated where .357 couldn't.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Yeah, the helmuts do more than they were designed to do.

And I think the "magic" of the 7.62x25 is that it has good kinetic energy (475-500 ft/lbs.) and a small caliber which means less resistance to penetration.

The Russians either knew what they were doing or got lucky when they developed that round - which is basically a hopped up 7.62 Mauser.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I think they got lucky. They only wanted to have to mold a single caliber, from what I understand, so they stuck with .30

They stuck to the mauser case probably because it was already available. They probably made it "hotter" simply because they knew that their current manufacturing technology would allow for stronger guns than was possible with the C-93. Just my opinion though.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Probably - they also used John Browning's design for the tok pistol... they were'nt shy about steeling designs that's for sure.