Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had fun at the gun show this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Nice scores all around. Ya done good!

I love the Mini-30's. Here's mine.

I think the 10 rnd. mag looks the best.

No offense, but I don't like Ruger's design change in 2005. What do you think of the design changes that Ruger did to the Mini-14/30 in 2005? I always pick up 'classic Rugers' (pre-2005) but early style Stainless Mini-30s are hard to find.

i do like the new barrels.. and i do agree on the old school looks....
    "God didn't make all men equal -- Colonel Colt did."

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    No offense, but I don't like Ruger's design change in 2005. What do you think of the design changes that Ruger did to the Mini-14/30 in 2005? I always pick up 'classic Rugers' (pre-2005) but early style Stainless Mini-30s are hard to find.

Dunno... I really like mine ;-).
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    Dunno... I really like mine ;-).
    COOL GUN! And no, I wasn't talking about the TACTICAL RIFLE. Doh! I was referring to them EMASCULATING the standard Ranch rifle so that it doesn't take ANY of the aftermarket EBR stuff (flash hiders, etc) that the old style Mini 14 used to be able to do. BTW, Ruger FINALLY going tactical was a welcome change but YEARS TOO LATE. Bill R is still a putz!

COOL GUN! And no, I wasn't talking about the TACTICAL RIFLE. Doh! I was referring to them EMASCULATING the standard Ranch rifle so that it doesn't take ANY of the aftermarket EBR stuff (flash hiders, etc) that the old style Mini 14 used to be able to do. BTW, Ruger FINALLY going tactical was a welcome change but YEARS TOO LATE. Bill R is still a putz!
    yeah, but the old man is dead now man... so I forgive him... and the company is doing some neat stuff. Now I have a Micro Red, Aluminum rail package with a full length bottom rail, and a sling on it. It really is a great rifle.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

heres a pic of my 4 rugers together 2 being mini's
    I really like the wood stocks on these... most my rifles are black or ODG but these 3 and a 30 carbine..

lol looks like this turned into a thread on mini's..
    gatta love them

Quote Originally Posted by Klawndyke View Post
    heres a pic of my 4 rugers together 2 being mini's
    I really like the wood stocks on these... most my rifles are black or ODG but these 3 and a 30 carbine..

lol looks like this turned into a thread on mini's..
    gatta love them
    Weird. I never noticed the different stocks. Looks like a BIG change. Those factory? (looking at the buttpads)

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    yeah, but the old man is dead now man... so I forgive him... and the company is doing some neat stuff. Now I have a Micro Red, Aluminum rail package with a full length bottom rail, and a sling on it. It really is a great rifle.
    Yes, but you never addressed my assertion that the NEW style Mini 14 ranch rifle is inferior in asthetics to the old style. I don't like the placement of the front site. it makes it look like a 10/22 on steroids.

Weird. I never noticed the different stocks. Looks like a BIG change. Those factory? (looking at the buttpads)
    The top one mini14 is the new style and the second one mini30 is the old style..

Yes, but you never addressed my assertion that the NEW style Mini 14 ranch rifle is inferior in asthetics to the old style. I don't like the placement of the front site. it makes it look like a 10/22 on steroids.
    I do like my 10/22s.. even if there on steroids

the kool thing is everyones taste is diffrent.. I like the new barrels, rear sights and flash hider.. the one thing is you cant change the sights but there fine for me..
    i can still hit that target if need be..
    Last edited by Klawndyke; 05-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I really like that Mannlicher stock 10/22.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I really like that Mannlicher stock 10/22.
    Reminds me of some of the old 303 rifles
    Last edited by Klawndyke; 05-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Congrats on the vz, I have one and think its very accurate, maybe just a hair under the vepr in accuracy. Have you fired it yet? I found mine likes the following

Golden Tiger
    Wolf Military Classic
    Silver Bear
    Barnaul
    and finally Wolf black box grey case

I found it easy to keep rounds in the black sandbagged from the bench on a NRA sr1 100 yard target
    Last edited by Skarmajunga; 06-06-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Well sure, but what a person thinks "looks" cool is impossible to argue, it's all comes down to the eye of the beholder. Being a Itsy Bitsy Garand makes all Minis looks pretty sweet IMHO.

I really don't think My rifle looks anything like a 10/22... I also prefer the protective ears and beefy rear sight on the 580. The taperd Barrels are a nice touch, as are the lack of casting marks on the reciever. The tolerences are better, but not so tight that the weapon will get gummed up; at least not easly.

I like my Mini-14 more then my 16" AR (Or any other AR in the same config that I have shot [i.e. Collapsable, 16" bbl, tacti-railed] for that matter), not that it's a "better" gun, but from a users standpoint I happen to like how it shoulders, points, feels and prefer the action and Garand style safety.

The old style, with it's huge front blade sight, just brings back memories of a gun the A-Team had trouble hitting Mullet Clad baddies with.

YMMV.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Skarmajunga View Post
    Congrats on the vz, I have one and think its very accurate, maybe just a hair under the verp in accuracy. Have you fired it yet? I found mine likes the following

Golden Tiger
    Wolf Military Classic
    Silver Bear
    Barnaul
    and finally Wolf black box grey case

I found it easy to keep rounds in the black sandbagged from the bench on a NRA sr1 100 yard target
    not yet..
    I have been going through my garage while the weathers good.. Spring cleaning

I cant wait to take a day and take the girls out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12