Thread: Removed S&W internal lock and replaced firing pin.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Removed S&W internal lock and replaced firing pin.

I removed the internal lock on my S&W 386 and replaced it with a plug made by a guy on the S&W forums. While I had it open, I also replaced the firing pin with a Cylinder & Slide oversize pin. This corrects two potential problems people have had with newer Smiths, light primer strike due to overzealousness in meeting the CA drop test and heavy recoil activating the internal lock on some of the lightweight models.

Now I'm waiting on a set of maple Ahrends grips.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Got a link for that? Sounds like something I might want to do to my 2 Smiths.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Link and costs if you don't mind

The guy who makes these posts as Bullseye Smith. This is a thread about his product:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...w-j-frame.html

I think they were $26. Took about three weeks. Very happy with the results.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Cool, thanks for the link. I'll have to do that with my 57 and 310.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

More adjustments. Swapped stock mainspring for Wolff reduced power mainspring. Swapped rebound spring for Wolff 13lb rebound spring. Trigger pull is way lighter. I'm hoping the oversized firing pin will offset any potential problems with light primer strikes. Will test fire next weekend.

Now just waiting for the new stocks and this revolver will be complete.

Next time I'm in TN, I'm removing the lock and adding the plug to the 340PD that I leave back home.
    Last edited by nfa1934; 05-14-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Test fired today since replacing the mainspring and rebound spring. No light primer strikes, it reliably ignited the primers on a full box of .38, half a box of .38+P, and half a box of .357.

.357 has a little kick in this one, but not nearly as bad as my 340PD. Very happy with this revolver.