Thread: Beretta Bobcat

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Beretta Bobcat

I have a chance to purchase a Beretta Bobcat, .22 cal pocket pistol for $200. It has been in our work paper twice now. I had not really thought about using a .22 for a carry weapon, but this is small and easy to conceal. $200 seems good based on what I see on Gunbroker. What do you all think? Should I go for it. Could I get it just to turn and sell it for a profit?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

7 round mag + 1 in the pipe and should have slick trigger feel. They are usually excellent quality, reliable and tiny little things. New they retail around here for $279, I picked up a cherry condition bobcat .25 a few years ago for $229. The last range day we shot all sorts of loads thru a variety of Beretta bobcat and tomcat pistols. I had all sorts of older fmj, hp and jhp that we randomly loaded in mags, they fed everything and had no failures. You'll probably end up keeping it if you do buy, $200 is a fair deal especially if in excellent condition. Go for it but don't complain about the grip, please... Its inherently extra small.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

I'd say no on this one. I don't think a .22 pocket pistol makes any sense. There are plenty of viable pocket pistols in .32, .380, and 9mm, and I'd feel better carrying a .380 or 9mm over a .22 any day. I suspect terminal performance would be dismal since the .22 is probably loaded with a powder meant for a 16" barrel. You can get premium quality defense ammo in .380 and 9mm, but I don't think I've ever seen self defense .22 ammo.

I also have my doubts about being able to resell it. If it were a good deal at 200 it probably would have been gone by now. I believe you can get a keltec 9mm pocket pistol for another 50-100 and I consider that a much better carry option. Not saying you won't be able to resell, but you might have to sit on it for some time.

This gun doesn't seem to serve any purpose well, and because of that I'd expect it to be hard to sell. I'd say pass on this impulse buy and save your money for something you really want later on.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dafapa View Post
    I'd say no on this one. I don't think a .22 pocket pistol makes any sense. There are plenty of viable pocket pistols in .32, .380, and 9mm, and I'd feel better carrying a .380 or 9mm over a .22 any day. I suspect terminal performance would be dismal since the .22 is probably loaded with a powder meant for a 16" barrel. You can get premium quality defense ammo in .380 and 9mm, but I don't think I've ever seen self defense .22 ammo.

I also have my doubts about being able to resell it. If it were a good deal at 200 it probably would have been gone by now. I believe you can get a keltec 9mm pocket pistol for another 50-100 and I consider that a much better carry option. Not saying you won't be able to resell, but you might have to sit on it for some time.

This gun doesn't seem to serve any purpose well, and because of that I'd expect it to be hard to sell. I'd say pass on this impulse buy and save your money for something you really want later on.
    This is sort of what I was thinking. On the side of why it hasn't sold, the paper it is advertized in is the local shipyard news letter that comes out every 3 weeks or so and has a distrobution of maybe 2000 people on average. So I figure the small advertizing base has something to do with this, but most other guns sell rather quickly through this paper. I do think I will pass on this.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I bought a Beretta 21A Bobcat a bunch of years ago and even though it is a fun pistol to play with, I would not recommend it for carry as they like to be immaculately clean. It doesn't take much dirt for mine to become a single shot pistol. Also you really can't trust .22LR rounds themselves to be 100% reliable.

If the Bobcat was a .25 centerfire I would say that as a last ditch pocket pistol it would be ok as the centerfire is more reliable. Not even arguing the worth of a .25ACP except a a caliber of last resort in an otherwise nice pistol.