Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum effective range of 9mm from a rifle?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Maximum effective range of 9mm from a rifle?

I was giving consideration to a 9mm carbine as an "end of the world" type gun and it got me wondering how far out it would be effective? You could try adjusting the powder type to optimize the burn rate for 16" (I'd assume more 9mm is made with 4" barrels in mind), and also choose a more optimal bullet weight. Do you think it would be reasonably effective at 100 yrds? If not 9mm, what about .40, .45 ACP, or something else (maybe .357 sig or 10mm)?

My thoughts are that if you could reach out that far effectively with a 9mm carbine that would negate most of the capability lost by not having something like a .223 rifle. This is assuming you were working in a suburbia type area where you generally don't have very long uninterrupted areas of terrain. Then of course you can use the same ammo in your handgun as well, and its cheaper than .223.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

A few years back some +P+ 9mm military surplus rounds were imported, they were for sub-machine guns only. I used to use them in my UZI and Marlin Camp 9, they were hard hitting and made the Marlin kick ass! Not for pistol use though. I wish I could find some more of those rounds, they were perfect for a 9mm carbine. They made excellent 100 yard shots a breeze!
    Last edited by insider; 02-08-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I used the L7A1 in my UZI, as well. Great stuff. Haven't seen it advertised in several years.

I'm interested to know what the tactical range is, as well.

I think 100-150yd is possible, that's one thing the 9mm has over the 45acp, I found my camp45 pretty much was done at 75...

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

i developed a carbine only 9mm load for my hi point 995 carbine that shot 4" at 150 yards and was running about 1500 FPS at the muzzle. im not sure the speed at that distance but with a FMJ bullet it would completely destroy a gallon milk jug full of water.

if youre interested let me know and ill dig out my developmental notes and post them.

SW

With a pistol Id say 150yds tops and with that its like lobbing a football.... more or less trying to drop a round on target with the amount of arch you need is like hold over two-three feet to hit something out there ...IDK about a 16'

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Figuring a 16" barrel and a good +P or +P+ 115gr round I'd say anything out to 100 yards would be fair game.

Let's put it this way. Would you be guaranteed a one shot stop at 100yd? Probably not. Would I stand at 100 yards and let you shoot at me? Hell no!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I can hit a 5 gallon bucket at 200 yards with a Ruger P94 pistol so I would think out of a rifle or carbine you should be good to go that far at least with most any factory load.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    I can hit a 5 gallon bucket at 200 yards with a Ruger P94 pistol so I would think out of a rifle or carbine you should be good to go that far at least with most any factory load.
    That is an epic shot. I can't even see a 5 gallon bucket at 200 yards.

effective??

what type of round?

From my Uzi suppressed with a 8" barrel 200yds with 147gr subsonics is easy. 300 is achieveable but the effects are alot less.
    If you are expecting anything from such garbage as WWB or wolf just stay home , load your own or buy hotter/heavier ammo.

we benched my thompson a few weeks ago and out of a 10" barrel my 220gr loads were still tearing shit up at 300yds using the lyman rear sight.

There was a TV show on in the 80's that had guys shooting handguns at silhouettes at 100-500 yards.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    That is an epic shot. I can't even see a 5 gallon bucket at 200 yards.
    Not only is it not an epic shot it isn't that hard to do. The 1 gallon milk jugs, bowling pins and 2 liter bottles are hard to do and hit percentage falls to 30%. You put the bucket on the berm, aim up 2' take your shot, find where the bullet splashed make your correction and just keep shooting. It really is a big target and you can make it go clank clank clank all day long. Now clay targets are an epic shot and I have only done it with my 22 pistol and .357 revolver. Once each. I ain't telling you how many shots it took but I didn't go home with much ammo. .

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

shooting long distances with a pistol is just about practice and careful attention to form. i shoot 200 yard steel ram silhouettes with my G20 10mm

SW

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post
    shooting long distances with a pistol is just about practice and careful attention to form. i shoot 200 yard steel ram silhouettes with my G20 10mm

SW
    That makes sense. With a 10mm, if you were shooting them at 100yds you'd have to throw them away after each hit!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I lightened the trigger on my glock 19 to 3.5 lbs and put a lone wolf match threaded barrel in there and hit head sized steel targets at 250yrds on a good day, and clay pigeons at 100yrds on great days. That glock is truly a good friend, I know it well. BTW ammo used is 115gr WWB. And 124gr handloads. I'd think a carbine and scope 350-400yds may be doable if its not really windy. Patience and form like stated before is key but most pistols can do 150+yds, if your eyes permit.

put a lone wolf match threaded barrel in there
    I put the same in one of my G19's ,chase empty milk jugs around at 100yds all day long.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    I'd think a carbine and scope 350-400yds may be doable if its not really windy.
    That would be like dropping artillery rounds. Even if you can get the velocities up in the 1500 range, do you have any idea how much drop you'll have at 400 yards?

GOd how I love the interwebz lol

I'm thinkin' on paper the range is whatever your eyes and skill can bring.

But for combat against people, I'd say no more than 150 yards. Probably plenty of range for most cities and suburban neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    That would be like dropping artillery rounds. Even if you can get the velocities up in the 1500 range, do you have any idea how much drop you'll have at 400 yards?
    Don't have no data for 400 yards but with a 100 yard zero I get 22" at 200 yards and 57" at 300 yards. Velocity at 100 yards comes out at 963' fps with a 124 gr bullet. I can't do any better than that without one of those whiz bang ballistic computer programs and that is way out of my budget. Data was for Speer ammo out of a test barrel vented to simulate a pistol. I'm guessing the bullet would drop to the ground and walk the last 50 yards to reach a 400 yard target but I may be wrong. I often am.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    GOd how I love the interwebz lol

Get out and shoot more.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast