Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing a CZ-82

OK, after a couple days of researching, I've decided to park the CZ.
    I've been reading up on the process, and I have everything needed except the park solution.
    I believe I'll order the kit from the link jojo gave above.

Jojo, if you don't mind and have the time, can you post a step by step turtorial on parking?
    It would be much appreciated.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Since I decided which finish to to use, I tore down the CZ and separated the parts into different sections depending on their place.
    Next step is cleaning.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I ordered the home parkerzing kit from Allegheny Arsenal this morning. $37.95 shipping included.
    I've collected all the stainless steel pots, SS mesh strainers, and SS tongs, and thermometer.
    I'm using the side burner on the gas grill to heat the solution, so looks all my ducks are in a row when the kit arrives.

I'm going to media blast the parts today or tomorrow. I dislike this phase of refinishing, but it's necessary. Someday soon, I plan to build a blasting cabinet. That will make blasting easier and cleaner.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Bronze 07/2011 whos2kno's Avatar

i had 2 bran new ones but sold them a few years. i got a ex+ one i carry now. one of my favorite C&R weapons ive ever own.

Quote Originally Posted by whos2kno View Post
    i had 2 brand new ones but sold them a few years. i got a ex+ one i carry now. one of my favorite C&R weapons ive ever own.
    I agree. Sweet carry guns.

I'm in the process of refinishing this one.
    Parkerizing kit is headed my way. Got the kit from Allegheny Arsenal.
    The pistol is apart and waiting to get a new dress.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 05-07-2011 at 02:01 PM.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Media blasting, specifically sand blasting is what I am doing Wednesday after the parkerizing chemicals arrive.
    I've read that the surface needs to be micro pitted for the solution to go into, thus providing the parking to retain more lube.
    Sounds reasonable to me, so that's what I'm doing.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

The park kit came in yesterday. I took the parts today and degreased them and will sand blast them tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I sand blasted all the CZ-82 parts yesterday and as soon as the rain stops, I degrease again and Park everything.
    Here's a pic of the frame blasted.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I mixed 8 oz. park solution with 1-1/2 gallons of distilled water then heated it on the side burner of the grill.
    Heated it to 180 degrees as recommended by Allegheny Aresenal's instructions.

I dropped the small parts in a SS strainer in first. Boiling from the reaction with the steel started right away.

The recommended time in the solution is 15 minutes, but I left them in for 25, thinking this would be better.

After removing the parts from the Park solution, I rinsed them well with hot water, then soaked them in the Park neutralizer.

The mag body, slide and frame went in next.
    The pics look like the parts came out rough looking, (scared me until I wiped excess oil off a part) but this is because they are covered in the Park neutralizing oil.

I am really pleased with the results. I'm going to let the neutralizer soak into the steel for a few hours before reassembly.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 05-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Park is nice, but it isn't Gun Kote. With your newly parked pistol there it is ready for Gun Kote. Park is 78 times more resistant to rust than bluing but Gun Kote, 600 hours of salt water spray with no rust through. Park can't do that no matter how well oiled. Gunk Kote loves to stick to a degreased new Park job.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Park is nice, but it isn't Gun Kote. With your newly parked pistol there it is ready for Gun Kote. Park is 78 times more resistant to rust than bluing but Gun Kote, 600 hours of salt water spray with no rust through. Park can't do that no matter how well oiled. Gunk Kote loves to stick to a degreased new Park job.
    I'm aware of this, but I don't have an airbrush or other equipment to GunKote it.
    On a small gun as this one, the rattle can GunKote doesn't give the spray control I need.
    It works fine on an AK or other larger weapons.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

It's DONE!!

What a friggin nightmare.

I started reassembling it @ 8PM last night, and was almost finished @ 2 AM when I discovered the hammer strut would not go into the frame with the trigger installed.

Disgusted, (not the word I would use to describe my feelings in private), I disassembled everything and started again this morning. All went together very fast the second time around.

The refinish came out perfectly. I managed to reassemble without one scratch on the new finish. An amazing accomplishment considering how many parts there were and how they had to be installed.

Here's the pics. Complete with 120 gr. Silver Bear HPs.

Last edited by slamfire51; 05-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Looks good!

I didn't realize that the CZ-82 was so complex. I guess I need to strip mine down and check it out.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Looks good!

I didn't realize that the CZ-82 was so complex. I guess I need to strip mine down and check it out.
    Thanks.
    It's not bad after you do it a couple of times.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Thanks.
    It's not bad after you do it a couple of times.
    Is this the one your using in the postal match?

I'll be using my CZ-82. My classic Hi-power isn't old enough. Well, I guess its about the same age as my CZ-82 but its not on the C&R list.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Is this the one your using in the postal match?

I'll be using my CZ-82. My classic Hi-power isn't old enough. Well, I guess its about the same age as my CZ-82 but its not on the C&R list.
    Yep.
    I had to dress her up for the big event.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Bronze 07/2011 whos2kno's Avatar

wow that look good!!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm aware of this, but I don't have an airbrush or other equipment to GunKote it.
    On a small gun as this one, the rattle can GunKote doesn't give the spray control I need.
    It works fine on an AK or other larger weapons.
    Unfortunate that is. If you were closer I'd say bring it over and we'll spray it up. An airbrush, at least a single stage airbrush suitable for Gun Kote painting isn't a major fortune. But, if you don't have a compressor you will be facing some big coin to get set up.

Yep.
    I had to dress her up for the big event.
    Sorry I didn't check back on this thread. You did a great job. I couldn't believe that you "completely" disassembled it. I just took the slide off, plugged the barrel and boiled it. Of course it was degreased and cleaned already. Once I took it out I flushed it out with hot water and cycled the action under the hot water with dawn dish washing soap. Set it aside to dry and then oiled it down. Carried it out and started shooting it within 45 minutes of parking it. I'm gonna say that all together with the paint stripping, cleaning/degreasing and then parking it took maybe 2.5 hours at the most.

At least you are intimately familiar with your CZ now. Hehe. Looks great. Keep up the good work. Hope you saved the solution. It's good until you contaminate the solution with oil.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Hey Schuetz! Why would the OP want to strip off the original enamel finish just to put another one on? I'd think aesthetics would have something to do with the decision.

I can say that both parked as well as blued guns do not stand up well AT ALL to removing and replacing a pistol in a holster day after day after day. The original CZ82 finish on the other hand is amazingly durable. Two years of daily removal and replacement, and it's still holding up like it was the day I got it. It does not look as good as that parked gun though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast