Thread: Any home remedies for an infected eye?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Any home remedies for an infected eye?

So i had a pretty frustrating morning. I dropped off my fathers two sets of snow tires to "Star Tire" (Tire shop) today so he could get them put on his two vehicles. He was there waiting for me. My problem started when i backed into the service bay to get the 8 tires out of the back of my truck. I accidentally locked my door with my arm when i got out. So now i have the truck locked up tight and still running and i am blocking the service bay of this shop. So i remember i had a key zap strapped inside the frame. I slide under the truck and start looking for it. I am feeling around with my hands looking or it and i inadvertently knock a clump of road dirt and rust directly into my eyeball. I wiped it out and thought nothing of it. couldn't find the key none the less so i had to call my wife to bring me the spare. took about an hour start to finish. So embarrassing and frustrating, Fast forward a couple hours. I was dropping off the trump hats i ordered to my friends and I noticed my eye fogging over. So i started rubbing it and it just felt weird. So i looked in my rear view mirror and i had creamy shit and a flake of rust on my cheek. Couple hours more has gone by and i can hardly keep it open. It is like i am looking through a smoke filled room and my eyelid is really sore. Anyone got any ideas of what to do? I am military and don't have a family doctor. I need to go to the doctor on base in the morning if i decide to. If it is an emergency i need to go to the regular civilian hospital. Which will destroy a better part of the night in the waiting room. Usually average 5 hours for non life threatening things. (Canadian socialized medical) I am hoping someone has an old time remedy that i could do with the help of my wife. This really bugging me.

Thanks
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

first thing is.. dont rub it.

rinse it out and get some visine. if that dont help get some eye ointment.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

first thing is.. dont rub it.

rinse it out and get some visine. if that dont help get some eye ointment.

I did put some visine in about two hours ago. I held my eyelid back and my wife put about 5 drops in. was running down my face. felt good at the time but i am back to the infected problem. I will probably go to the pharmacist in a half hour or so to see what they have for ointment.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

5 drops of visine isnt going to cut it. first flush your eye with a generous amount of water, get up under the eye lids, you could have dirt or rust trapped which is scratching your eye and causing it to produce mucus to protect itself. After that, contact lens cleaning solution might sting a tiny little bit but it stopped pink eye cold a few times for me. It is eye safe and has a disinfecting property.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

You need to do an eye wash. A few drops isn't going to do it. You need a light running hose of saline into your held open eyes.

BISHOP

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

You will probably need an antibiotic Dude. Your eye is nothing to mess with. I have had similar issues. If it doesn't clear up soon, get help.

So i went in the shower and let the water run through my eye for a while. I lifted the lids a bit and i can guarantee it is now rinse. I also just finished holding a new clean bar mop towel wet with warm water to my eye for the last 10 minutes or so. Feels good. If it is worse in the morning then i will go to the base hospital. Nothing i can do till then. Pharmacist suggested the hot towel and eye drops.. . and of course doctor.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    So i went in the shower and let the water run through my eye for a while. I lifted the lids a bit and i can guarantee it is now rinse. I also just finished holding a new clean bar mop towel wet with warm water to my eye for the last 10 minutes or so. Feels good. If it is worse in the morning then i will go to the base hospital. Nothing i can do till then. Pharmacist suggested the hot towel and eye drops.. . and of course doctor.
    I second the doctor recommendation. Eye problems are nothing to play with. Professional help is the best route.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I second the doctor recommendation. Eye problems are nothing to play with. Professional help is the best route.
    Yea. if it isn't better in the morning i will go for the walk in at base hospital. You are right. Thankfully it is not my shooting eye.

In the old days people used to use a dilute solution of boric acid and an eye cup for eye infections.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Yea. if it isn't better in the morning i will go for the walk in at base hospital. You are right. Thankfully it is not my shooting eye.
    You probably will need an antibiotic cream to squirt in your eye. That road grime was probably full of God knows what kind of bacteria.

Well woke up this morning and had a shower felt good. Almost back to normal. The Visine and hotbrag paid off. Now being almost time for me to go to bed again and it is almost like it never happened. Thanks for the help. I thought it was going to get a lot worse. The human body is an amazing thing.