Thread: Question about the 9mm High Point pistol

Question about the 9mm High Point pistol

Hello all i recently acquired a High Point made 9mm handgun,i traded a 1945 Mosin Nagant m-44 for it,(the local gun store only gave me $60.00 for it.)The question is are these 9mm guns very reliable?I watched a bunch of video's on you-tube about the 9mm but i figured i'd ask the most knowledgeable people in the ak-47.net community.The reason i bought it is because i start a security job soon and i have to provide my own handgun,and they laughed at me when i showed them my 1895 Nagant revolver.well any info and comments are welcome thanks everybody.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, at least you're used to being laughed at.

You should do your research before you buy your weapon.

Having said that, the Hi-Point 9mm has a reputation as a serviceable weapon of service grade accuracy.

Regardless, the Hi-Point 9mm is the scurge of the semi-automatic handgun world. It's cheap, bulky, and uglier than sin. No other modern 9mm owner gets the abuse of a Hi-Point owner.

So, be prepared to be laughed at again.

Most guys on this board will say you should have kept the Moison rifle, and a few would have said "fuck'em, I'm using my Nagant revolver b/c that's what I've got." And I'm sure most would have somewhat admonished you for not doing your research first.

The good news is that the Hi-Point, fugly and cheap as it may be, does have a reputation for reliability and combat grade accuracy (defined as being able to put a round somewhere in a man's upper torso at 25 yards).

For the future, I'd look toward high quality, used 9mms. There are a ton of them out there. I think you can get either a new Ruger SR9 or a used Glock 17 for around $400.
    CDNN was/is running a great deal on used Smith and Wesson 5906 and 6906 3rd generation 9mms. These are the last of the all metal 9mms from Smith. As such, many consider them to be some of the finest 9mms ever. Depending on the model and condition, one can be bought for as little as $300 and as high as $370 with a box. CDNN also has used Beretta 92s for as little as $330. And I've seen used CZ 75s on Gunbroker for the same price.

You can get a brand new, Ruger KP95 (stainless steel) for as little as $370, or a blued version for $330, again brand new. A used P95 shouldn't set you back more than $275.
    And last week gunbroker had a fugly but still funcioning 6904 for a buy it now price of a mere $220.

Here's a pair of links to two at that price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276708221

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276708355

In the end, there were better choices out there.

But the most important thing is that you got a job. Keep the job, save your money, and buy a better 9mm next time. Then you can keep the Hi-Point as either a backup or if you prefer... a small boat anchor.
    Last edited by American Rage; 03-10-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive got a few hi-point pistols ive acquired, and ive noticed that they are as unreliable as shit, unless you use hot loads. normal/target loads do not reliably cycle them.

i would not use one if i was staking my life on it. refer to the above post ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    ive got a few hi-point pistols ive acquired, and ive noticed that they are as unreliable as shit, unless you use hot loads. normal/target loads do not reliably cycle them.

i would not use one if i was staking my life on it. refer to the above post ^^^

call and get new springs for them. hell, hi-point will probly give you new guns or fix whatevers wrong.

I had their .45 model and was impressed that it ate everything I stuck in the mag. DO like the big ghost/homeboy rear sight they toss in.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

As pistols go they do suck but for the money they can be serviceable. I think the hi point isn't going to be received any better then the nagant but in time you can always move up.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I wouldn't recommend the 9mm, there are better 9mm's out there for not much more money, But it should be serviceable. My experience with my .45 hi-point has been very positive, it's eaten everything I've fed it (it is infinitely more trustworthy than my xd45). The 9 should do OK for you, but keep an eye out for something better.

my .45

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...ighlight=point

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Oh man. Please for your own good, before you do any selling/buying of guns in the future, discuss it here first.

We can share our experience and help you out.

First thing is that the M44 mosins are going for up to $300 on gunbroker. You could have easily have sold it here for at least $200. They are getting hard to fine.

Secondly, the high point, while perfectly servicable and by all accounts really a quality gun is a heavy assed side arm and will definately not get you any respect whatsoever from your compatriots at the security firm.

You would have been miles ahead to get an LEO trade-in Smith & Wesson M10 from Buds or one of the other places selling them. They are $269 shipped - you would have had the extra cash from the sale of the M44....

I still recommend this - sell the high point and get the Smith - or if you want some other options, we can provide some good ones....

You might go back to the shop that took the M44 and see what he's selling it for - might be $150.... if he is ignorant of the M44 situation and prices it like a standard 91-30... then, you could put it on gunbroker... and pick up the difference. We can provide guidance on that too if needed...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

aside from low cost i dont understand why hi points are bashed so hard. they are a 100% american product, made with american materials and american labor that carry a no nonsense 100% lifetime gaurantee. are they ugly as sin? hell yes. But so is a new camaro and they sell like hotcakes. and speaking of sales, if you do the math, by the published BATFE production nunmbers, hi point is the 3rd largest handgun maker in the US, behind only glock and ruger. theyre popular to talk down on as junk but would any of you stand on front of one and let me shoot at you? If theyre that bad you should have nothing to worry about.

and to teh guy above who said they only run on hot ammo, learn how to not limp wrist it. I run light 40 and 9mm cast loads through my hp's without a problem. HPs have to be handled like you mean it.

SW

I think it's most of us expect more out of a firearm then just going boom We want good handling, better ergonomics, decent and easy to use safeties, fast mag changes, etc... It's really not that they will fire if a target is standing stationary in front of the barrel, it's how easy they are to carry, draw, aim and fire at a moving target bent on doing you bodily harm that counts.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    call and get new springs for them. hell, hi-point will probly give you new guns or fix whatevers wrong.

I had their .45 model and was impressed that it ate everything I stuck in the mag. DO like the big ghost/homeboy rear sight they toss in.
    i ought to try that, its worth a shot. i have a "set" of 9, 40, and 45 i got off a friend because they needed money. the 40 seems to run ok, but the 9 and 45 wont go through 1 mag without jamming if im using wwb or the cheap federal fmj's

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Wolverine View Post

and to teh guy above who said they only run on hot ammo, learn how to not limp wrist it. I run light 40 and 9mm cast loads through my hp's without a problem. HPs have to be handled like you mean it.

SW
    good one.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The high points are just fine for the range, for a car gun, home protection, etc. Ugly as shit yes but they are dependable and that's the key.

As a side arm for a security job? Fail. That is my point. For that you need a "respectible" side arm. An LEO trade-in G17 would be ideal. Any LEO trade-in Glock or S&W 59XX or similar would be very good for that. Along with a decent holster - kydex would be fine along with a mag holder.

I sure wish I could have seen the "scene" when he showed up with the 1895 Nagant That would have been classic. Again, I really like those pistols but not for that...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I bought a used Hi-Point C9 recently. Took it to Knob Creek a few days ago and fired 300 rounds of Federal 115 grain FMJ through it, didn't have a single malfunction with it. It was hitting low left at first but after adjusting the rear sight I was hitting small groupings at 30 yards. I have a slip-on hogue grip on mine which makes it way more comfortable to shoot. There's better things out there of course, but for the price, you get more than what you pay for.