Thread: Range report: Hi-point .45 with modded 1911 mags

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

Range report: Hi-point .45 with modded 1911 mags

After a weekend of vechicle repairs I finally got to test out da hIGH pOINT .45 with 2 modified crappy 1911 mags. The results were good, only had 2 stopages out of 90+ rounds of reloads (200 grn. RNL and a couple 200 grn semi-wadcutters) both were failures to feed and both cleared just by dropping the mag and racking the slide. did both rapid and slow fire and didn't have any problems with either. I had one mag that dropped out during a string of fire, which may have been because I bumped the release. I wouldn't want to use the 1911 mags for serious use, but they are crappy ($7 gunshow variety) and I didn't to the prettiest job converting them, but would feel confident if they were quality mags done by someone with some skill.

they maybe ugly and have the ergonomics of a power drill, but hi-point .45's have got my reccomendation.

get a pro-mag 1911 drum and we'll see if we can get that bitch to melt
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I was hoping these would take Glock mags.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    get a pro-mag 1911 drum and we'll see if we can get that bitch to melt
    you supply the ammo and I'll see what I can do.

What is the advantage of using 1911 mags in the pistol?

Okay Rax, where's the photos?
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

the advantage of 1911 mags is that they're cheap, hi-point mags are $18 a pop (which I guess isn't too bad for factory 9 round .45 mags) and 1911 mags fit flush with the bottom of the grip which I think improves the look and feel of the pistol, the stock mag sticks 3/4 of an inch out of the bottom of an already big grip.

no pics, as it really isn't that interesting of a mod, all you do is grind 2 small spots above the mag catch slot of the mag and create a small ridge, there is a vid on youtube if you're interested in seeing how it's done.

I finally took the pistol apart on monday and noticed some easy improvements that could be done by someone inclined to improve some of the deficiencies their hi-point .45

1. slide stop, the stop slide stop is similar to the cz-52 in that you can only release it by pulling back the slide. however it would be very easy to spot weld on an additional piece of metal and turn it into a proper thumb operated variety, this would most likely require a small alteration to the grip (not the frame)

2. magazine catch, as an option rather than mag modding if would be easy to add material to the mag catch so as to permit the function of standard 1911 mags, with the possible advantage of still being able to use the stock hi-point mag (though this is a maybe)

3. safety, the stock safety does not permit the slide to be pulled back when it is engaged, this would probably be the most difficult mod but it should be possible to alter it so that it works like a normal pistol.

I noticed a better way to mount the factory hi-point laser sight as well, but decided it adds too much bulk to an already bulky gun.

BTW any one know when the much anticipated 45 carbine from hi point will be out?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    BTW any one know when the much anticipated 45 carbine from hi point will be out?
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...ighlight=raxar