Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oly Arms 10mm AR

Oly Arms 10mm AR

Looks like Olympic Arms has solved the magazine issue with their pistol caliber AR's. Don't know why it has taken this long. Yes they are proprietary, but 19 rounds of 10mm sounds good to me.

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37

I would consider a 9mm upper, because you can still find 9mm for between 10 and 15 cents per round from time to time, and its a fun blaster round at that price. At 10mm prices, I'd stick to 556. It would be nice if they could have solved the magazine issue without doubling the length and cutting to capacity by 1/3.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, but its Olympic Arms....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I would consider a 9mm upper, because you can still find 9mm for between 10 and 15 cents per round from time to time, and its a fun blaster round at that price. At 10mm prices, I'd stick to 556. It would be nice if they could have solved the magazine issue without doubling the length and cutting to capacity by 1/3.
    Plus with a 16" barrel full power 9mm sounds like a .22lr.

Every time I take out my SUB 2000 I get comments about how quiet it is.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yeah, but its Olympic Arms....
    +1 from me

It does seem as though they could have improved on the capacity. Obviously its a single stack by the length of the mag.

What's wrong with Olympic Arms? Just wondering.

Those mags look like they were done in "MS Paint".

alota people hate on oly arms for making the pistol that got steelcorwe ammo banned from import .........or something like that .with that said oly arms amkes a vast amount of different config. for the ar platform

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    with that said oly arms amkes a vast amount of different config. for the ar platform
    Thats true. I don't see anyone else trying to make AR's for any pistol cal other than 9mm. I'm amazed at how the gun community trashes gun makers. We are our own worst enemy. I'm thankful that there are still companies willing to step out and offer new things.

Wow! I looked at that page...funky looking magazine indeed. But I see they've brought back the Whitney Wolverine pistol. I might have to find one of those.
    If you don't like the way I do things you can tell me, just don't expect me to change.

Fuck Oly Arms..........they should have went out of business years ago
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

That mag adds a whole new dimension to the word, "ugly."

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Olympic arms stabbed the gun community in the back with their AK pistol that resulted in the steel core ammo ban. I've yet to see them to properly demonstrate repentance for it, so I refuse to buy anything they make. I also remember a post on the old AK-47.net where a user posted pictures of an olympic arms cast upper that literally fell apart while their daughter was shooting it. I don't know if they're still using cast uppers or if they fixed it, but that a lone would be reason to stay away from them with so many other makers out there.

Look what happened to S&W. They sold us out in the early 90s and got their reputation trashed. They finally did an about face and started making quality products that people wanted, not just the ones slick willy was alright with. If we stick it to back stabbing companies they'll be faced with the decision of disappearing or serving the market place.

Yeah the only catastrophic failures I've seen in AR's not due to ammo or some such thing have all been oly arms, they also started messing around with spec's tightening up mag wells and such to the degree I've also seen military mags not fitting. Then you have the sellout to the BATF for which they just can't admit and you got a company I'd rather not deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by uncas1 View Post
    It does seem as though they could have improved on the capacity. Obviously its a single stack by the length of the mag.

What's wrong with Olympic Arms? Just wondering.
    Nothing. I've got two of their rifles, an M4 and a 20 incher, and they run flawlessly. The fit and finish is just as good as any other AR out there.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

I'm sure Oly has improved over the years. And it seems they're becoming more innovative. But after seeing imanaknut's pics of his daughter's rifle falling apart like a crumbling cracker, it's hard for enthusiasts to trust them...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oly makes an AR lower receiver that uses Glock mags in 9mm or 40... the mag well will only accept the Glock mags, no inserts/adapters needed, I can't imagine how much the lower receiver weighs as you have a ton of aluminum thickness around it, but none the less you can use those 30+ hicap glock mags in in it, an if you're lucky enough to have one of the original Stony Creek Armory drums that holds 72, there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I would consider a 9mm upper, because you can still find 9mm for between 10 and 15 cents per round from time to time, and its a fun blaster round at that price.
    Ditto when it is a fun blaster; I want the ammunition to be cheap.

How does making an AK pistol cause steel core ammo to be banned? Was it their intent? Shouldn't the blame be placed on the ATF?

Anyway, I don't see how a company like Olympic Arms going out of business would benefit the shooting community. Again, I don't know of any company other than Oly making AR's chambered in .45, .40, and 10mm. Thats enough for me to see them hang around.

Yes, the mags are butt ugly ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by uncas1 View Post
    How does making an AK pistol cause steel core ammo to be banned? Was it their intent? Shouldn't the blame be placed on the ATF?

Anyway, I don't see how a company like Olympic Arms going out of business would benefit the shooting community. Again, I don't know of any company other than Oly making AR's chambered in .45, .40, and 10mm. Thats enough for me to see them hang around.

Yes, the mags are butt ugly ;-)
    They were told what would happen before they did it and continued on, they took the opinion that they didn't care if cheap steel core ammo was available or not. And I know for a fact they were told before hand because I was one (of many) who contacted them. After the fact their story has gone from screw AK owners, they are an AR company, screw the Chinese, they didn't know, they did know, they don't care.

But that's only half of it, they are a second tier AR maker at best with plenty of QC complaints. I'd be wary of them regardless of the steel core mess from the issues I've seen people have with their weapons. As to whether it would benefit the gun community if they went away I wouldn't go so far to say that but considering the number of AR makers I doubt it would be much of a loss either. My opinion is there are plenty of good gun makers with great reps to worry about those on the 2nd tier with spotty records.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast