Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A photo of TWO BEAUTIES :)

A photo of TWO BEAUTIES :)

Well, at least I think they're beauties. Found these in the back of one of the safes. Totally forgot I had them. Saw a little bit of surface rust and panicked and started cleaning them.....

Picked them up decades ago and never fired them myself, but they were floor samples that apparently got scratched a little when one of the store racks was moved. The front sights have some slight scratches all over them. The store owner was a buddy so he sold them both to me for $800 (for the pair). At the time I was thinking "Hmm, that's a lot of money" but he wanted to sell them and he did offer them to me first. Not Polytech, but marked Norinco. What's weird is that the bolt carriers are not silver but they are blued. I haven't seen that on other (non PolyTech) Chinese AK variants.

Original Pre Ban Chinese. Placed on a sheet of corrugated plastic sheeting. Photographed on the same back patio deck with the nice setting sunlight that I like to use. (and yes, I got to keep them because I got them before the CA deadline so they're registered and legal, though I can only SELL them to folks outside of California when and if I decide to liquidate some day). .
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 02-03-2016 at 04:05 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Oooooooooooooooo, they're beauties.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Looks great.
    The bottom one looks just like mine, same blued bolt. As a kid (18) I wanted it to be silver just like all the others. Almost scrubbed the bluing off at one time. Even in the catalogs they showed silver bolts.

I love the wood on the top gun. Never seen a factory Norinco in that color wood.

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Very nice pair. Registered huh, meaning at risk of confiscation if and WHEN Cali decides they can't trust you anymore.

Yeah it seems you didn't forget about them long enough.

They are very nice and hell some people get paid to take the finish off
    of AK's. The BFPU look. 400 a piece is a good price I imagine you could
    sell them pretty quick at that price!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

No toes showing at the bottom of the frame, well done
    Those are nice
    hey I live outside Ca just so ya know
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

too much risk of the dims taking those right now in this political climate. You should send them here for safe keeping.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Two beautiful examples of very early Norincos! Guessing they are not marked "56S-1" but marked "AKS-47-1" or "AK-47S-1".

The early imports had the blued carriers. They were later left "in the white" as the Chinese tried to figure out how to sell "those commie rifles" in the land of shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    too much risk of the dims taking those right now in this political climate. You should send them here for safe keeping.
    He would have to stamp "Valmet" on the reciever first...... I know that game.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I love the wood on the top gun. Never seen a factory Norinco in that color wood.
    Thanks! Another weird thing is that the darker wood set is slot cut for a pig sticker bayonet. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Yeah it seems you didn't forget about them long enough
    If I had forgotten about them any longer, they would be rusting from top to bottom. Good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    No toes showing at the bottom of the frame, well done
    Those are nice
    Thanks! Yessiree. No stupid feet or socks in my pics…. hahahaha. I hate those gunbroker pics (or Ebay pics for misc items) that are out of focus, Way over or under exposed, or just shitty in quality so that you can’t see the damned item. Hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    The early imports had the blued carriers. They were later left "in the white" as the Chinese tried to figure out how to sell "those commie rifles" in the land of shall not be infringed.
    THANKS! I did now know that.

Sadly, though, I suspect that these were still in import when all the political bullshit started happening in the late 1980s/1990. They are marked AKS with a crappy dremel tool "SPORTER" scrawled right afterwards.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice pair!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    THANKS! I did now know that.

Sadly, though, I suspect that these were still in import when all the political bullshit started happening in the late 1980s/1990. They are marked AKS with a crappy dremel tool "SPORTER" scrawled right afterwards.
    I don't know when commiefornia began their ban against AK looking rifles, but would guess the sporter was added by an owner that was afraid of confiscation. The reason I say this is it looks like the bayo lug ears are still intact. This was the first thing that ATF had the importers do, remove the bayo lug ears but the rifles were marked 56S so to further the safety of the rifle, a "1" was stamped in front of the "56S-1" thereby changing the name to "156S-1" thinking it would satisfy the Bush1 mandate.

Also guessing a previous owner added the wood with the bayo cutout from a Poly Tech. Looks nice but wrong.

I don't know when commiefornia began their ban against AK looking rifles, but would guess the sporter was added by an owner that was afraid of confiscation.
    It would be kinda stupid for an owner to alter the markings of his own gun. No one in Law Enforcement or the Dept of Justice would buy that excuse. This was done by the Importer.

If ATF told me that all I had to do to make a rifle legal was to etch "XYZ" on it and they would leave me alone, you better believe I would etch "XYZ" on it. And then I would tell them I bought it that way and since it meets "the letter of the law" they would leave and all would be happy in the universe.

Of course, an importer with ATF standing next to them telling them to etch Sporter on the rifle and they would leave would no doubt hurry to etch it and watch them leave.

If ATF told me that all I had to do to make a rifle legal was to etch "XYZ" on it and they would leave me alone, you better believe I would etch "XYZ" on it. And then I would tell them I bought it that way and since it meets "the letter of the law" they would leave and all would be happy in the universe.

Of course, an importer with ATF standing next to them telling them to etch Sporter on the rifle and they would leave would no doubt hurry to etch it and watch them leave.
    True, but USER made markings on guns doesn't render them legal LOL. No governmental authority will accept that as 'proof'. The only marks they accept are ones done by the importer or the manufacturer. Case in point, when the HK-91 was banned by name in CA in 1989, there were a bunch of mismarked HK-91 guns with an extra "1" stamped on them, thus the HK-911 was born. And yes, California said that the HK-911 was LEGAL since it had that extra one, but I know for a fact that they would not accept someone stamping their own "1". Would the authorities catch EVERY instance of owner tampering? Probably not, but if they really decide to check ALL records, including import or manufacturer records, then that person is screwed

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Beautiful rifles, TM. I especially dig your AK in the top photo w/ the dark furniture.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Very nice. Reminds me that I need to get my camera out.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Very nice. Reminds me that I need to get my camera out.
    Yes - would love to see your new baby that you got for a steal!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Two MORE BEAUTIES (though they are not as pristine as the underfolders, these have been used ... a lot!)

TOP: Norinco marked AKS-47 with pig sticker bayonet. Back in the day (I was a youngster at the time) I tried to home 'blue' the bolt carrier. Should have kept it in original condition, but who knew? At that time no one knew that the fucktards would ban them. Replace the original bland wood with replacement wood from Kengs at the time. I really liked that sprayed on dark brown stain/lacquer. Sure it's not like really nice high end wood that's been fully stained (and not sprayed) but it looked a lot better than the original wood IMHO.

BOTTOM: Maadi ARM rifle with bakelite magazine - stocks are beat to hell IMHO. Thinking of trying to restore them to look a little nicer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast