Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My newest MV acquisition

I'd love to have one of those.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    What's the word on being able to get your newest rig legal for the road? I read that they now come with paperwork that equates to a title.
    Unfortunately I hear the SF97 or the Fl. title whichever you choose is stamped offroad use only. You also can get a bill of sale, don't know if that's stamped or not, but probably is to cover their butt. For some reason the military doesn't want these on the road, while they don't care about the bigger vehicles. Don't know why. I'm hoping there's a way around it like plating it farm vehicle or something. Otherwise it's time to lobby my state legislators to force the dmv to title and register them for the road.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Wow, nice score! I too am jealous. Maybe some day when I get my finances in order (debts gone) I can snag something like that.

You know, when the SHTF, nobody's gonna care about stinking tags
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Wow, nice score! I too am jealous. Maybe some day when I get my finances in order (debts gone) I can snag something like that.

You know, when the SHTF, nobody's gonna care about stinking tags
    Yeah then I'll be figuring out how to defend all those vehicles from theft! I drive a 1995 Mercury Mystique with 221,000 miles on it. We haven't bought a new vehicle since 2001, that's the ticket. I bought The M35A3, M1009, M931A2, M923A2, M923 and M936A2 for about 20K total. Add in this vehicle for 11K and it still is less than a new pickup truck nowadays! Priorities for me anyway. It was nice buying 4 brand new trucks in my younger days, but those payments sure woke me up. We bought a 2000 Dodge Ram2500 with a plow and a 2001 Supercrew when they first came out. Two $500 a month payments were alright with our income but it doesn't leave room to appreciate financial freedom. I'm in my lower 50's and it's sure nice to devote most of my check to paying off the house at the end of the year. That will free up a lot more money. Frankly I was stupid for buying this now, shoulda waited till we're debt free. Good luck my friend. I don't practice Dave Ramsey to that extreme, but his method is certainly sound and a good place to start.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 09-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Very Cool! Even has the same tires as my truck!
    Mine are mounted on the old style H1 rims (with 8 bolt rings) that have been recentered.
    Does your's have two piece magnesium run-flat rings or the one piece rubber?

Two piece are older but you can get them out with a pair of 9/16 wrenchs, a little sweat and some patience.
    Done plenty of those and found a few shortcuts to make it easier.

Removing and installing the one piece rubber ring requires a special tool that looks like the winch for pulling a boat onto the trailer. Have some pics from the service manual saved to a jump drive, will post them if I can figure out what I did with it.

EDIT:
    Here's a pic of the tool w. part #.

Here's a pic of one is a 17" civilian H1 tire.

There are notches 180º apart around the circumference of the bead retainer / inner ring of the this type of run flat, you can see one at the 3:00 o'clock position inside the tire. I think that's where the compression strap goes around it and the notch keeps it from slipping. Been awhile so I don't remember for sure.
    There's a good reason military mechanics nicknamed these 'arm-breakers'.
    Last edited by Nobeard; 10-10-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Oh Man....More fun for me. I thought tearing apart deuce and a half rims was hard enough. What do you have them on?

Mine are on a '76 Ford F-250 4X4 XLT that's been in the family since it was new.
    Originally bought by my Grandpa in the fall of 1977 when the new models came out and they cut the price.
    Needless to say, it's had 'extensive mods'

I honestly like the way these rims are set up.
    Having the runflats is a big plus out here and being able to replace a tire without breaking the lugnut loose? That's a whole 'nuther level of awesome.

BTW - Showed the pictures of your HMMWV to Uncle Johnny (Redbeard).
    He was pretty sure you were the Gunsnet member that found a manufacturer who could fabricate trunion rivets and put together a big order for the board about 10 years back.
    If so, BIG thank you.

Got some things to take care of today, will get back on here sometime this weekend.
    Have a source for 'O' rings and good / used tires that you might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobeard View Post
    Mine are on a '76 Ford F-250 4X4 XLT that's been in the family since it was new.
    Originally bought by my Grandpa in the fall of 1977 when the new models came out and they cut the price.
    Needless to say, it's had 'extensive mods'

I honestly like the way these rims are set up.
    Having the runflats is a big plus out here and being able to replace a tire without breaking the lugnut loose? That's a whole 'nuther level of awesome.

BTW - Showed the pictures of your HMMWV to Uncle Johnny (Redbeard).
    He was pretty sure you were the Gunsnet member that found a manufacturer who could fabricate trunion rivets and put together a big order for the board about 10 years back.
    If so, BIG thank you.

Got some things to take care of today, will get back on here sometime this weekend.
    Have a source for 'O' rings and good / used tires that you might be interested in.
    Yes sir. I remember him and yeah I put together a couple of mass rivet buys in bulk back in the days of building Ak's with original barrels and cheap kits!. Long time. We had a fantastic BIY forum with all kinds of great guys building all kinds of awesome kits and mods! Certainly welcome my friend. It was a blast back then. Always can use another source for tires and orings. My problem is being lazy and not wanting to take the time to fix all my leakers! I've got about 4 tires on my 5 tons with slow leaks, deuce and half has a fast leak on one and slow leak on another. That's what CTIS is for LOL.....Just can't leave them sitting completely flat they get cracked sidewalls.

Really appreciate all your work putting together the rivet buy. Truth is, that kept me busy (which means 'out of trouble') for many a weekend in my younger days.

Yea, I get a little nostalgic thinking about the old board. Especially all the build information and pics that were lost.
    Could have been worse though, at least Gunsnet is up and running again.

Sending you a PM with some info.
    Friend has several pics of a trick we came up with for installing the two piece run-flat. Sometimes the tires have been stacked off the rim and it's a fight to the death trying to spread the beads enough to get the ring halves inside He's out of town at a wedding and will e-mail them when he gets home. I'll upload and post here asap.

Stay safe and enjoy the cools rides.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Congrats.
    I guess we won't see you in the military convoy that's running the Bankhead Highway when it comes thru here this week.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Congrats.
    I guess we won't see you in the military convoy that's running the Bankhead Highway when it comes thru here this week.
    No is it the MVPA convoy? I'm a member and I know they have a lot of different runs.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    No is it the MVPA convoy? I'A member and I know they have a lot of different runs.
    I don't have the article in front of me, so I can't say for sure. They will spend tomorrow night here, and I will take pics and try to post them.

ETA....yes, is the MVPA 2015 convoy on retracing the original 1920 Bankhead Convoy route.
    Last edited by N/A; 10-06-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Well hell, they came thru today and didn't stay long. I guess they will lager up in Abilene tonight. Maybe Nobeard can get over to see them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12