Thread: ESPN Apologizes For Racist Lin Headline

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

ESPN Apologizes For Racist Lin Headline

Somebody's gonna get their ass in a sling over this................

ESPN used a shockingly racist headline "Chink in the Armor" for the Knicks' loss Friday night, along with a picture of Jeremy Lin, who is an Asian-American. The headline was eventually removed, and ESPN issued an apology late this morning.

"Last night, ESPN.com’s mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 am ET. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

Its a common metaphor... that's sad

Could you imagine the hoopla should a sports organization refer to an NFL defense as niggardly?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

I like most Asians, but it is kinda funny. No I'm not racist, just Politically Incorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
    I like most Asians, but it is kinda funny. No I'm not racist, just Politically Incorrect!
    Yep, it's a common phrase and I have no problem with it, but they really SHOULD have not run it. IF ONLY to be balanced in that they would never RUN any kind of headline that may even REMOTELY be offensive to blacks. Anything remotely anti-Semitic or Anti-black gets a FIRESTORM of criticism. I also think they should never criticize Christians or white males, but that will never happen

Quote Originally Posted by greeenie View Post
    Its a common metaphor... that's sad

Yeah, but after thinking about it, those four words were the ONLY words in the Headline, showing a Chinese Athlete. In context of a sentence or paragraph, it makes sense. But as a headline with no other context? That sounds like a juvenile joke to me........To have the phrase out there as a headline with NO context, was probably some douchebag's idea of a 'hidden joke'.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-47 View Post
    i know i may be a bit juvenile saying this..but i found it to be clever and quite funny.
    i like asians alot..i like most people..everyone has got to lighten up..humor is the best elixir.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dishman View Post
    i know i may be a bit juvenile saying this..but i found it to be clever and quite funny.
    i like asians alot..i like most people..everyone has got to lighten up..humor is the best elixir.

Yeah I'll bet the guy who wrote the headline did too.

Something tells me Lin and a lot of other "chinks" didn't appreciate the humor nearly as much.

I tend to doubt you'd be as amused if a headline used the word honkey, cracker, or peckerwood,.though I'm sure a lot of non-whites would find it clever and amusing.

Come on, in this day and age racial and ethnic slurs are not considered humorous for a headline for any kind of news story. I can just imagine if he had used the word nigger, spic, kike, wop, mick, redneck, or camel jockey.

Why would anyone consider "chink" to be any more acceptable than those ugly, demeaning, words??

How about a headline about Michael Jordan "Niggardly with the ball".....

Just because it makes sense grammatically, doesn't mean you're not a douchebag for typing it LOL

It's ironic how it's funny to the people a racial slur isn't directed towards.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Yeah I'll bet the guy who wrote the headline did too.

Something tells me Lin and a lot of other "chinks" didn't appreciate the humor nearly as much.

I tend to doubt you'd be as amused if a headline used the word honkey, cracker, or peckerwood,.though I'm sure a lot of non-whites would find it clever and amusing.

Come on, in this day and age racial and ethnic slurs are not considered humorous for a headline for any kind of news story. I can just imagine if he had used the word nigger, spic, kike, wop, mick, redneck, or camel jockey.

Why would anyone consider "chink" to be any more acceptable than those ugly, demeaning, words??
    honestly..i dont give a wit what someone calls me..hell black comedians and shows often humoursly refer to whites as crackers or whitebread..whatever..maybe i am different...doesnt bother me at all..it's a joke or at worst a slur..and if your going to direct a slur at me,well i dont really care what you say/think to begin with..jmho
    i am half irish(mic)..my favorite irish joke is..:know what an irish 7 coarse meal is? a sixpack and a potato.. :-)
    the other half of me is italian,my fave italian(wop) joke is..hell to many to list :-)
    if for example mcdonalds made a meatball sandwhich and called it a Mcwop ..i would laugh my ass off an prolly by one(even though i dont eat there)
    Last edited by dishman; 02-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

honestly..i dont give a wit what someone calls me..hell black comedians and shows often humoursly refer to whites as crackers or whitebread..whatever..maybe i am different...doesnt bother me at all..it's a joke or at worst a slur..and if your going to direct a slur at me,well i dont really care what you say/think to begin with..jmho
    i am half irish(mic)..my favorite irish joke is..:know what an irish 7 coarse meal is? a sixpack and a potato.. :-)
    the other half of me is italian,my fave italian(wop) joke is..hell to many to list :-)
    if for example mcdonalds made a meatball sandwhich and called it a Mcwop ..i would laugh my ass off an prolly by one(even though i dont eat there)

Well if someone is using those terms I tend wonder if their motive is purely humor, or something a bit darker and meaner.

Are they laughing with you or at you?

Holy shit that is funny!
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

It all comes down to who you will allow to manipulate and control your emotions. After all, they are "YOUR" emotions. If you allow someone else to control them, to get a rise out of you by their words or actions...you've already lost the battle, and "they", in effect, have you by the balls.

Personally, I (to the best of my ability...work in progress) don't allow others to control what I feel, or how I express it. That is the triumph of reason over emotion.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    http://home.suddenlink.net/news/read...org%3E&ps=1018

Couple of people fired over it now.

did anybody see the SNL skit about ESPN this weekend.............very funny stufff. almost the entire show was worth watching this week

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    did anybody see the SNL skit about ESPN this weekend.............very funny stufff. almost the entire show was worth watching this week
    I LOVED the part where they showed the black sportscasters making all these jokes at the expense of Asians when when the white anchor makes a funny comment about black athletes, the blacks go crazy, screaming racism. I wonder if a lot of blacks who scream racism at everything even noticed that IRONY of that skit. It was a clever slam at hypocrisy. Very clever...