Thread: need FAL parts help?!?!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

need FAL parts help?!?!

my bolt catch for my metric fal is all wobbly and shit and in as much, refuses to ride smoothly in its assigned hole.

where can i get one??

i tried apex, they had an l1a1 catch in stock, but nothing under metric fal.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

just ordered the one from dsa. what bothers me is that is says "also fits l1a1". which, if they are interchangeable, i could have gotten much cheaper. and the gunthings site had no internet ordering, and im sure no ones going to be answering phones on a holiday weekend, so dsa it is. thanks for the info!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You're welcome. On fit, yes an English L1A1 type should fit and work. Mostly it is about maintaining the style of part that is correct for your particular version of the FAL. I'm sure the DSA part will be a good part.

The L1A1 part won't have the last shot bolt hold open another thing to consider.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    my bolt catch for my metric fal is all wobbly and shit and in as much, refuses to ride smoothly in its assigned hole.

where can i get one??

i tried apex, they had an l1a1 catch in stock, but nothing under metric fal.
    DSA is your best bet for FAL parts inch or metric.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You're welcome. On fit, yes an English L1A1 type should fit and work. Mostly it is about maintaining the style of part that is correct for your particular version of the FAL. I'm sure the DSA part will be a good part.
    lol, there is nothing "correct" about this one. ive got a 24" heavy barrel going from about 1 1/4" under to handguards to 1" out at the end. made my own gas block, bought a custom made target grip from someone on mfa (sorry cant remember who, its been years since i started this build) and going to have a magpul prs stock, with my own free float tube. i just needed something to work. mine the end was loose, so when you pressed on it to release the bolt, it jammed itself in the hole.

The latches are pretty much interchangeable, the screws holding the latches in place??? not so much. I typically put L1A1 Latches on all my FAL pattern rifles because it is a much bigger latch - much easier to use. I've never seen a latch that did not have the hole drilled for the hold open pin. It's just a mater of driving in the appropriate size solid pin to re-activate the bolt hold open.

As for DSA. . . used to be top notch. Parts are still good, but service is not. I'll try other sources that stock DSA parts first. The scope mount DSA makes is top notch - but buy it from Brownells.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Hmmmm. I tried to build up an Imbel Metric FAL years ago with 'some parts' from a surplus L1A1 Kit and the L1A1 charging handles did NOT Fit. Being that the kit was a beater from India, I just shaved down the charging handles to work, so in the future I could upgrade to a real metric handle.

right now im just a custom made muzzle device and a scope and rings away from completion.