Thread: Form 1 approved! Around 5 months.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Form 1 approved! Around 5 months.

Got my approved Form 1 to SBR the Bushmaster. Ordered parts.

I was originally going to buy an upper, but another thread convinced me to look into building my own. I can build two uppers for $300 less than the Noveske complete upper was going to cost. My two builds:

DPMS flattop upper (no forward assist, no dust cover - never used or liked either), YHM lightweight railed handguards (mini), and Noveske 8" .300 BLK barrel and gas tube. Will have a YHM quick-disconnect flash-hider for my Phantom suppressor and a Trijicon RX30-23.

DPMS flattop upper (no forward assist, no dust cover - never used or liked either), YHM lightweight railed handguards (carbine), and Noveske 10.5" 5.56 barrel and gas tube. Will have a YHM quick-disconnect flash-hider for my Phantom suppressor. Moving my Eotech and 3x magnifier from my SIG556 to this upper (haven't decided what is going on the SIG yet, maybe an ACOG).

Both uppers will use the bolt/bolt carrier from my Bushmaster and a gas buster charging handle with extended latch. The lower is getting a Timney trigger.

All parts have shipped except the .300 BLK barrel (backordered, supposedly due back in stock at Midway next week).
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    That is some cool toys. Jealous!
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Anybody leave an A2 stock on an AR SBR? I'm not planning on changing to a telescoping stock for my Bushmaster. I've never really liked AR telescoping stocks (my current issue rifle is an M4 and I'd rather have a fixed stock).
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Anybody leave an A2 stock on an AR SBR? I'm not planning on changing to a telescoping stock for my Bushmaster. I've never really liked AR telescoping stocks (my current issue rifle is an M4 and I'd rather have a fixed stock).
    I'd say it comes down to are you building a range toy or a real world use weapon. Same thing goes for the no dust covers or forward assist uppers. Fixed A2, fine for shirt sleeves at the range. Put on heavy clothes for winter or body armor and the A2 stock is not going to be your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'd say it comes down to are you building a range toy or a real world use weapon. Same thing goes for the no dust covers or forward assist uppers. Fixed A2, fine for shirt sleeves at the range. Put on heavy clothes for winter or body armor and the A2 stock is not going to be your friend.
    Never had an issue with the A2 stock in winter clothing or body armor in the Army. Even now, rolling out in body armor in a cramped armored SUV, I don't particularly like the telescoping stock on my M4 (since I leave it extended, I don't see an advantage). I just don't really see many SBR ARs with a full stock and was wondering if mine is going to seem a little odd.

I understand going without the dust cover isn't the best idea for real world use, but I've never found a forward assist to be useful. Even when I was in the Army and my rifle was malfunctioning at a range during nasty conditions, it didn't seem like the forward assist helped. It usually seemed more like I needed a rearward assist (with more leverage than the charging handle) to get the damn action cleared. If a round didn't seat, it usually seemed like hitting the forward assist just made things worse (round still isn't seated, and now the action is stuck).

At one particular range at CRC Benning, the firing positions were basically sandboxes and it rained on us all day. It didn't matter if you kept your rifle out of the sand, because within an hour you were covered in wet sticky sand and turning the rifle into a "sugar cookie" was unavoidable. Worst conditions I've ever been shooting; dust cover didn't help and the forward assist was useless.

My DPMS LR-308T seems a lot more forgiving of bad conditions (and neglect) than a 5.56 AR. Does anybody know if the same is true for .300 BLK?
    Last edited by nfa1934; 12-18-2011 at 06:36 AM.

why not one of those tactical snubby stocks???

i should have my F1 here soon..

it got kicked back over something tiny and I had to send it back last week.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Ordered another receiver (the one I originally wanted, but couldn't find in stock anywhere). LAR OPS-4 right-hand charging (forged version). It's going to be the .300 BLK receiver.

If their build quality is even close to the discontinued Grizzly pistols, this is going to be nice!

Looks like I'm going to have a spare DPMS upper lying around. Will probably eventually become either a 6.8 or a really short 5.56.
    Last edited by nfa1934; 12-19-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Ordered another receiver (the one I originally wanted, but couldn't find in stock anywhere). LAR OPS-4 right-hand charging (forged version). It's going to be the .300 BLK receiver.

If their build quality is even close to the discontinued Grizzly pistols, this is going to be nice!

Looks like I'm going to have a spare DPMS upper lying around. Will probably eventually become either a 6.8 or a really short 5.56.
    So that's going to have a reciprocating charging handle, right? I wonder if it's also going to act as a brass deflecter?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So that's going to have a reciprocating charging handle, right? I wonder if it's also going to act as a brass deflecter?
    Yep, reciprocating charging handle. Don't know if it will double as a brass deflector, looks to be in about the right spot.

I first started looking at these for the 5.56, since you have to manually cycle the action for every shot using subsonic 5.56. The side mounted charging handle would make this much more convenient. Now I'm thinking I'm just not going to screw around with subsonic 5.56, even with the suppressor. The ammo is weak and doesn't stabilize well.

I'm using the LAR receiver for the .300 BLK because I could only find one and I want the nicer receiver on the .300 BLK. The .300 BLK is going to be my main upper, so the receiver for the 5.56 doesn't matter so much.

Decided on build for the extra upper. Ordered CMMG .22 parts to build a 6" upper.