Thread: Amazing miniature work! Photo gallery from the first 3 Star Wars Movie Effects Shops

Amazing miniature work! Photo gallery from the first 3 Star Wars Movie Effects Shops

How many of you guys built models when you were a kid? How many of you guys were pretty or really good at it?

This is a dying art.

I doubt ANY kids today could do what many of us could to back in the day. It takes patience, eye/hand coordination that is not VideoGame related, and attention to detail.

Check it out:

http://imgur.com/a/Zt9Y4?gallery

was_peacemaker
    That is awesome!! If I am not mistaken I think .308 our friendly admin is a model builder and pretty good at it.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Not exactly your basic Revell kit. The guys that build those models are probably engineers and architects.

I built dozens of model cars, ships and planes as a kid,but i wasn't allowed to watch much television.

Revell or Monogram came out with the Classic movie monster series when i was about 10, wolfman,dracula, frankenstien, the mummy, i had em all. I would lay in bed at night and stare at them on my bookshelf and fall asleep having the worst nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Not exactly your basic Revell kit. The guys that build those models are probably engineers and architects.
    Uh, no. I know a lot of those old timers who worked on Star Wars. They were model builders just like me when they were kids. Then they moved into "practical effects" in the movie industry. You don't have to be an engineer to build models for movies. Though an interesting point. the political makeup was split. Usually half were raving liberals and the other half were gun owning conservatives or libertarians. Interesting

I worked on the re-roof for an architects office a few years ago ( cut-up, multi-level nightmare of a job) they specialized in high end multi-million dollar homes. There was an older gentleman who built exact scale replicas of the houses they built and gave to the customer who commissioned them to design/build their home. The models were as spectacular as the real thing, and it probably took him as long to build the model as it did the real house.

And just think - these people didn't use kits! They built them from scratch!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I worked on the re-roof for an architects office a few years ago ( cut-up, multi-level nightmare of a job) they specialized in high end multi-million dollar homes. There was an older gentleman who built exact scale replicas of the houses they built and gave to the customer who commissioned them to design/build their home. The models were as spectacular as the real thing, and it probably took him as long to build the model as it did the real house.
    MAN! I wish I could have SEEN THOSE!!!!!!!!!

We were on the job for almost 4 months and i was the boss so i had a lot of contact with the people inside. The modeler worked off a set of full size prints,and he scaled it down to fit a roughly 3'x3' platform, the guys attention to detail was museum quality.

I'm a pretty talented builder, but guys like the starwars modelers and the old architect make me feel like a kid gluing Popsicle sticks together