Thread: MAK-90 Sporter, 922 compliant?

MAK-90 Sporter, 922 compliant?

I picked up a MAK-90 Sporter at a gunshow last Saturday. I love the gun, but I stumbled across the lovely waste of paper and ink called 922

Gun Details: 94' Norinco MAK-90 Sporter, stamped, thumbhole, no threading or muzzle attachment.

My question is: With a Thumbhole stock and a 10 rd mag, doesn't the MAK-90 fall outside of the 922 restriction? ("suitable for sporting purposes".)

If this is the case, I'll keep it as is plus a scope and mount till the end of hunting season.
    If not, is the tapco G2 double FCG as good as advertized? The original trigger is so smooth I don't want to downgrade. Here's the options I'm looking at for 922 compliance.

-ATI Strikeforce , Gas piston, mag floorplate = 5pts -- old FCG, modernized look
    -G2 FCG, ATI Strikeforce Pkg Tan = 6pts -- modernized look and function
    -G2 FCG, Gas piston, mag floorplate = 5pts --keep wood furniture
    -G2 FCG, Folding or Collapsing stock, piston grip = 5pts -- old forestock new stock&PG

Any and all comments and suggestion are appreciated.
    Last edited by Phacious; 08-30-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: details details

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phacious View Post
    I picked up a MAK-90 Sporter at a gunshow last Saturday. I love the gun, but I stumbled across the lovely waste of paper and ink called 922

Gun Details: 94' Norinco MAK-90 Sporter, stamped, thumbhole, no threading or muzzle attachment.

My question is: With a Thumbhole stock and a 10 rd mag, doesn't the MAK-90 fall outside of the 922 restriction? ("suitable for sporting purposes".)

If this is the case, I'll keep it as is plus a scope and mount till the end of hunting season.
    If not, is the tapco G2 double FCG as good as advertized? The original trigger is so smooth I don't want to downgrade. Here's the options I'm looking at for 922 compliance.

-ATI Strikeforce , Gas piston, mag floorplate = 5pts -- old FCG, modernized look
    -G2 FCG, ATI Strikeforce Pkg Tan = 6pts -- modernized look and function
    -G2 FCG, Gas piston, mag floorplate = 5pts --keep wood furniture
    -G2 FCG, Folding or Collapsing stock, piston grip = 5pts -- old forestock new stock&PG

Any and all comments and suggestion are appreciated.
    Welcome to the site and the Norinco owners club.
    Now allow me to save you from yourself.
    Been where you are and i know what's on your mind.

Run like hell from the ATI Strikeforce buttstock and foregrips. The pistol grip is very comfortable and i use one on mine, i highly reccomend that, but i made the mistake of buying the other parts. The buttstocks length of pull is so long the rifle felt like i was holding it at full arms length with it at it's shortest setting. Extended fully i can't even my hand on the foregrip. It's junk unless you're 7 feet tall. The foregrips are just plain cheap and i don't like the way they feel. The rails and tube are plastic unless you pay extra for aluminum parts. Spiffy looking garbage.

If the point of the ati foregrips is to add the rails get either Midwest Industries Universal AK47/74 Hand Guard or Krebs Custom Quad Picatinny Rail Fore-End

If you want a collapsing stock get a VLTOR AK-47 COLLAPSIBLE STOCK ADAPTER
    It's rock solid,922 compliant if you also get a 922 compliant buttstock and will take any mil spec diameter collapsable buttstock on it.

The receiver on your rifle is made from metal slightly thicker (1.5mm vs 1.0mm on others)than other ak's but it will accept any ak buttstock if you shave a little bit from the sides that insert into the receiver so it's not too tight.

Otherwise just get any us made foregrips and buttstock you want. Ironwood designs make some quality stuff.

If you absolutely must have a folding stock look into ace modstocks.

I chose to go with the tapco G2 trigger group because that's 3 parts by itself. Yours is probably a doublehook the same as mine is so make sure you get the right one if you go that route. Chinese triggers are extremely smooth but they can also start slapping so be aware of that. Some do and some don't. If you've never experienced it, it REALLY stings and was the reason i was willing to accept the new trigger option. That's a nice perk to using the tapco trigers.

This should help you out with figuring if the rifle is compliant 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds

Putting a scope on that rifle is not as easy as you think either. 99% of the mounts that you can put on it suck and will NOT hold zero.
    The only one that actually works that that i like and will fit a Norinco is Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Scope Rail / Gen-2

The Krebs receiver scope rail system will NOT fit on your rifle so don't buy it. The rear tang on the chicom rifle is a little longer than all other ak's and the doll pin for the rail won't fit it properly. Krebs needs a chinese rifle sent to him so that he can pattern it to be able to make one that fits. Talked to him myself about it.

I recommend against using magazine parts for compliance too. All it takes is for someone to stick in a random mag that you have'nt yet converted and your local bored busybody ATF sympathizer can make your life very unpleasant over technicality nitpicking bullshit. Just safer to not depend on that.

My US parts are trigger(3) pistol grip(1) buttstock(1) foregrip(1) for an imported parts count count of 9 and i can use any magazine i please.

See this thread if you want to feel my pain and see what i've had to deal with doing mine.
    I came sooooo close to scrapping the whole project and writing off the loss for the stuff i bought.
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...about-my-bwk92
    Last edited by stinker; 08-30-2011 at 06:20 AM.

My question is: With a Thumbhole stock and a 10 rd mag, doesn't the MAK-90 fall outside of the 922 restriction? ("suitable for sporting purposes".) Would still like to know.

Thanks for the response, I was afraid the ATI SF looked to good to be true.

My question is: With a Thumbhole stock and a 10 rd mag, doesn't the MAK-90 fall outside of the 922 restriction? ("suitable for sporting purposes".) Would still like to know.
    Meaning is it legal as is with no modifications using the thumbhole and a 10 round mag?
    Yes. In that configuration it's fine. The rifle was imported before 922 was ever thought of so it's basically "grandfathered" from the imported parts count requirement. 922 kicks in as you start adding "evil" features like a pistol grip, muzzle device, high capacity mag, bayonet lug that take it out of "sporting" configuration.

The actual text of the law is here if you want to read it yourself.
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...0.1.2.3.3.1.22
    922 is actually not the relevant law anymore. It's 478.39.
    Atf decided to "rewrite" it by doing a copy and paste to another regulation number...stupid. Everyone still refers to it as 922 though for simplicity.

The only caveat i can think of being states like CA and NJ (that all of them?) that require the bullet key mag catch, and that's a state law not federal, but i'm not sure if that would apply to that rifle or not. I think it would because the rifle is'nt "grandfathered" because it was'nt owned before the state law went into effect. If you don't live in one of those states that's irrellevant to you though.
    Thanks for the response, I was afraid the ATI SF looked to good to be true.
    The pistol grip is sweet though. They at least got that right.
    Last edited by stinker; 08-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.

THANK GOD! At least I have a cheaper option for now. Now to look for a stock & pg combo the suits me. Thanks a lot stinker.

If I blocked a 30rd mag so that it would only accept 10 or less, would that be considered compliant?

If I blocked a 30rd mag so that it would only accept 10 or less, would that be considered compliant?
    Probably not i would think. I could see someone trying to pull the "readily convertable" thing out of their arse if they wanted to make a stink about it even though that is intended to apply to a weapon that can be made full auto easily, which yours can not, but i never underestimate the governments ability to try to abuse it's power. I'm in doubt about if it would even matter on that rifle or if it could be considered grandfathered considering some were sold new in that configuration with 30's and 75 round drums included in the box. I know newer rifles like the saigas for sure yes a 30 is supposed to be a nono unless it's 922 compliant. I bought mine back in 94 with only a 30. My 10's i bought after the fact for bench shooting.

Someone wanna help me out here?

Nut....nut.....help

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You wouldn't be in commiefornia would you???

That is the only pseudo-state that bans real AK mags.

As long as you live in a state that sort of believes in the Constitution of the United States of America then having a 30 round mag is no problem. Most 10 round have the same number of those evil imported parts as the full size AK mag, so the count is a non-issue unless you change the configuration of your MAK-90 by intalling that Bush the First declared evil pistol grip and separate stock.

Oh, WELCOME to the group !!!

And welcome to the stupid world of the constitution that isn't.

I live in a state that's polar opposite...Alabama

I'm glad to hear the 30rd mags aren't a hot button. I'll wait to make all the changes till I find some furniture I really like, instead of being pressured to get something now.

Any suggestions on good collapsible stocks? What's good for a red dot/ cqb sight? Is there anything that adds a rail to the hand guard and lets you keep the wood furniture?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I am the wrong one to ask about a collapsible stock because I am an AK purist, but there are many that I have seen that look and work just like the M4 stock. As for a rail on the handguard, I only know of replacement upper guards that have rails but they are plastic. Quality plastic, but not wood.

As for a red dot, there are many that would work, anywhere from fairly inexpensive ones to high dollar ones that will cost more than the rifle, but not make it any more accurate.

Hang around, I am sure someone that has used the parts you are looking for will post eventually. (Printerman, are you there???) I mention Printerman because he is pretty much a legend when it comes to turning his AK into a pure tactical M4 wannabe, and to be honest, there is nothing wrong with that, but I will deny I ever printed it!

Any suggestions on good collapsible stocks?
    Magpul mil spec sized fits rock solid on that VLTOR stock adapter i linked above.
    You can't use a UBR stock though so don't get one. Something not stated in the product description, all the others work.
    It directly replaces the buffer tube of an m4 so it won't work on an ak.
    It's a personal preference really. There's lots of options to choose from but i recommend that adapter tube above all others.
    What's good for a red dot/ cqb sight?
    Purely personal preference. Buy what you like.
    In some cases you get what you pay for though. Buy cheap buy twice in some cases.
    Stay away from the super cheap eotech clones. They're junk intended for airsoft guns.
    Is there anything that adds a rail to the hand guard and lets you keep the wood furniture?
    You can get unattached rails and could install them on wood yourself if you have tools and skill.
    It would be unique if you did. I have'nt seen an AK with that done to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I mention Printerman because he is pretty much a legend when it comes to turning his AK into a pure tactical M4 wannabe
    Not for long. I'm gonna dethrone him and make him cry every time he looks at his rifle once i find someone to do some cerakote for me in houston

I won't do the quarterly posting thing where i show new and better techniques for humping my rifle like he does though, feel free to shoot me if i do

Thanks for the mag answer too. I've never really had to deal with that stupid restriction and did'nt want to just say it's ok without knowing for sure. Nobody cares in Texas but we're not the rest of the country.
    Last edited by stinker; 08-31-2011 at 06:37 AM.

The Krebs receiver scope rail system will NOT fit on your rifle so don't buy it. The rear tang on the chicom rifle is a little longer than all other ak's and the doll pin for the rail won't fit it properly. Krebs needs a chinese rifle sent to him so that he can pattern it to be able to make one that fits. Talked to him myself about it.