Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military vehicle fans: HMMWVs now being auctioned off!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

All HMMWVs beig sold will now come with an SF97-1 form (almost like a title) so that folks can actually attempt to register these vehicles in certain states.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...ntcmp=features

Their popularity has been stronger than expected despite the fact that the trucks were approved for off-road use only, making it exceedingly difficult to legalize them for street use. But now that’s changed.

Moving forward, all of the Humvees sold through the auction will come with GSA form SF97-1, which allows the buyer to obtain a title for their truck. This is the first step toward registering one for the road, and also makes it easier to insure and resell the vehicles.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    All HMMWVs beig sold will now come with an SF97-1 form (almost like a title) so that folks can actually attempt to register these vehicles in certain states.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...ntcmp=features
    Prices have come down to real reasonable now too....Seen a lot go from 7K to 15 or so. Soon as my house is paid off early next year, that's my next acquisition.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

off topic, The canadian Navy just upgraded to the C8. I wish all the C7A2 rifles would have been converted to sen auto and sold. I would have traded my left nut for one.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I believe I read that they would not be "street legal" and could not be licensed for operation on the street.
    Any idea WHY they would not be street legal? Is it the weight?

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Any idea WHY they would not be street legal? Is it the weight?
    I assume it is because they do not meet or have not been tested for any of the safety or emission requirements to be street legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I assume it is because they do not meet or have not been tested for any of the safety or emission requirements to be street legal.
    Thanks! I did check it out and I was told by my auto mechanic that you can order the right parts to make it emissions capable, even in states with strict smog standards like California and others. We have Humvees here (milsurp ones) and they all drive on the roads. But who knows what the Canucks did with their vehicles? Though I may be looking at one, if the price is right

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Prices have come down to real reasonable now too....Seen a lot go from 7K to 15 or so. Soon as my house is paid off early next year, that's my next acquisition.
    What engine do these have in them?

A troublesome diesel is a dollar eater.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    What engine do these have in them?

A troublesome diesel is a dollar eater.
    6.2 in most of them 6.5 in the A1 models from what I understand.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    6.2 in most of them 6.5 in the A1 models from what I understand.
    Is that one of the GM diesels? I would want to know which incarnation it was, some of those were real problematic and anemic, tho after some time they improved.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I think those are Detroit Diesels.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

The older HMMWVs have the same engines as the CUCVs. The older HMMWVs will have the naturally-aspirated 6.2 and the newer ones will have the turbo-charged 6.5 (the same engine as 6.2, just updated for more power). I have had a Suburban with a 6.2 since 2006 and it has been a decent-running engine besides the current starting issue I've been trying to figure out (starts up and runs for 2 seconds and quits - crank for 30 seconds, starts up, and then runs fine). Engine parts are pretty common and it is an easy engine to work on compared to more modern diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    The older HMMWVs have the same engines as the CUCVs. The older HMMWVs will have the naturally-aspirated 6.2 and the newer ones will have the turbo-charged 6.5 (the same engine as 6.2, just updated for more power). I have had a Suburban with a 6.2 since 2006 and it has been a decent-running engine besides the current starting issue I've been trying to figure out (starts up and runs for 2 seconds and quits - crank for 30 seconds, starts up, and then runs fine). Engine parts are pretty common and it is an easy engine to work on compared to more modern diesels.
    Yeah, I haven't had any problems with mine in the M1009

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Is that one of the GM diesels? I would want to know which incarnation it was, some of those were real problematic and anemic, tho after some time they improved.
    Detroit Diesel Allison

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12