Thread: Painting polymer firearm frames and stocks: DIY?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Question Painting polymer firearm frames and stocks: DIY?

Looking for a tutorial.

I cannot see myself paying someone to paint the AR's I will be building next year.My kids want to help with the process of building their AR's.

Any ideas,suggestions,and links are welcomed.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Printable/downloadable US Army tutorial on painting the M16:

https://peosoldier.army.mil/docs/blo...ainting101.pdf
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I use Krylon ultra flat camo paints. The trick is to use something like acetone to degrease the parts to be painted. This will ensure that the paint adheres well. Use the blue masking tape for areas like scope lenses and such that you don't want painted.

The Krylon is cheap, looks good and is surprisingly durable. It is also very easy to touch-up. Dries super fast.

I think this is what the troops use.

I think Uber uses this and likes it?

skorpion - that link doesn't work for me - bad certificate or some such? Maybe I just need to OK the opening....
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 10-18-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Printable/downloadable US Army tutorial on painting the M16:

https://peosoldier.army.mil/docs/blo...ainting101.pdf
    Got it thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I use Krylon ultra flat camo paints. The trick is to use something like acetone to degrease the parts to be painted. This will ensure that the paint adheres well.

The Krylon is cheap, looks good and is surprisingly durable. It is also very easy to touch-up.

I think this is what the troops use.

I think Uber uses this and likes it?

skorpion - that link doesn't work for me - bad certificate or some such? Maybe I just need to OK the opening....
    pm your email I'll send it to you.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Got it thanks!

pm your email I'll send it to you.
    You're welcome! O.S.O.K., you just need to click OK to continue because there is a certificate error with the Army's website.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Polymer holds paint better if you quickly run a propane torch over it, the heat makes it porous and makes it stick. If you melt it, you heated it to much. LOL

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

I have had really good results with the new spray paint for plastics that krylon and rustoleum has out now.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, I'm good - thanks AKTX
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

You might want to check out Molyresin. It is good on glass filled polymer such as the stocks and handguards on AR15's and Glocks. I have done a couple of Glocks with it and it works great and is durable. It is applied very thin and on metal has the wear characteristics of parkerizing. Comes in many colors and the curing temperature is low. I have used it for about 20 years on various projects.

Do a search on molyresin or John Norrel. If it's good enough for SOCOM it should be good enough for us peons

I use krylon for a ton of different weapons, I love it.
    Lasts a long time as well, But I LIKE a weapon that has wear marks, and gets used.
    I get slammed for painting $2000 rifles with it all the time on the internet.

So the digi cam shiney dura coat, kiafru pack wearing, super tactical, taking pictures of your guns more than you shoot, internet badassses can suck a bag of D%CKS!

I use my stuff, it gets beat up, but thats why I bought it. Krylon is the greatest thing since sliced cheese.
    In the end its to camo, not to be a status symbol!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You might want to check out Molyresin. It is good on glass filled polymer such as the stocks and handguards on AR15's and Glocks. I have done a couple of Glocks with it and it works great and is durable. It is applied very thin and on metal has the wear characteristics of parkerizing. Comes in many colors and the curing temperature is low. I have used it for about 20 years on various projects.

Do a search on molyresin or John Norrel. If it's good enough for SOCOM it should be good enough for us peons
    I will look into that.I'm wanting to paint the plastic parts of a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 OD green and some AR stuff tan,od green,and light grey.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yeah, I'm good - thanks AKTX
    Well alrighty then.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    I use krylon for a ton of different weapons, I love it.
    Lasts a long time as well, But I LIKE a weapon that has wear marks, and gets used.
    I get slammed for painting $2000 rifles with it all the time on the internet.

So the digi cam shiney dura coat, kiafru pack wearing, super tactical, taking pictures of your guns more than you shoot, internet badassses can suck a bag of D%CKS!

I use my stuff, it gets beat up, but thats why I bought it. Krylon is the greatest thing since sliced cheese.
    In the end its to camo, not to be a status symbol!
    I like what you have to say,works for me.Function over fashion.

swampdragon
    Yep.
    Another vote for Krylon spray paint.
    I've had good luck with Rustoleum too.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Looking for a tutorial.

I cannot see myself paying someone to paint the AR's I will be building next year.My kids want to help with the process of building their AR's.

Any ideas,suggestions,and links are welcomed.
    There are vids on different ways to do it on youtube. I was thinking of doing the same thing recently and a bud from work sent me a link....don't have it anymore tho.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson