PDA

View Full Version : Question... .22LR CB loads - Remington in particular - on uh, cats...

O.S.O.K.
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Anybody have any experience with shooting cats with CB's? This is from a 24" barrel'd Cz m69.

I'm wondering if I place the bullet in the cranium if it'll penetrate.

No cat lover comments please. We are litterally covered up with feral cats in my little town.

I've trapped one but there are about 4 or 5 more coming into our yard and getting a drink and crapping all over.

Wouldn't be such a problem accept our dog finds the scat and eats it... and she doesn't need that - she's almost 14 years old now.

If I can trap em, I will, but there's a big Tom that's too crafty to go for the tuna....

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Depends on the distance. I have shot rabbits at about 25 yds. and had to hold over a little.
Best to set up a target and see how to sight.

It'll penetrate their skull at a reasonable distance. The CB's are like a high powered pellet gun with very little advantage.

00RedZX-6R
08-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I have been shooting at crows by the pond at about 100 yards, and if doesn't kill them. That is out of a 10/22 with winchester white box. I am pretty sure I am hitting them, as I can hit clay pigeons at that distance reliably. I am aiming at the body though and not the head.

ready
08-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a perfect job for a suppressed .22 with standard loads.

deth502
08-06-2010, 02:32 PM
suppressed 22 w std loads will still be supersonic, ie, loud.

i dont see it having a problem at a reasonble distance. say, 25 yds or so, and at that distance, there shouldnt be too much of a differnce in impact to where your scopes already set.

ready
08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Nah, the wolf standard velocity 40 grainers I use are 1050fps and very accurate and consistent.

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Nah, the wolf standard velocity 40 grainers I use are 1050fps and very accurate and consistent.

Isn't 1050 fps super sonic?
Sound travels around 750 fps at sea level.

ready
08-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I was under the impression subsonic rounds were anything under ~1100fps. I think you're thinking mph.

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
You're right.

The speed of sound is the rate of travel of a sound wave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_wave) through an elastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasticity_%28solid_mechanics%29) medium. In dry air (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air) at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s). This equates to 1,236 kilometres per hour (768 mph), or about one kilometre in three seconds and about one mile in five seconds.

deth502
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
well fuck me runnin'

i thought it was in the area of 850-900 fps, but......

The speed of sound is the rate of travel of a sound wave through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s).

granted, thats at sea level, 0% humidity, and 68 °F. conditions ive never seen in my lifetime. so , depending on your altitude, humidity, temprature, ect.. that round could go either way. if it were me, i thinki id err on the low side, if i was worried about staying silent.

deth502
08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
damn, i need to type faster

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
He is correct about MPH. Aircraft are subsonic below 7 hundred and some odd miles per hour.

L1A1Rocker
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
As a rule of thumb, when hand loading for subsonic your target is 1050 fps.

justinsaneok
08-11-2010, 11:17 PM
As a rule of thumb, when hand loading for subsonic your target is 1050 fps.

Ya purdy much! Also, most of your MATCH GRADE ammo is subsonic because when the bullet breaks the sound barrier, it can effect the path of the bullet, just slightly, but enough make an otherwise 10 ring shot a 9 or 8. So take that new wolf you got and go to town. Or get some super sub 60 grain the bullet will go in and right out.

63DH8
08-15-2010, 12:46 AM
CB rounds travel about 720fps. I used them around my place because I don't like disturbing my neighbors. If you use them in a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel, they sound like a high powered pelletgun. In fact, my RWS M-48 is louder than my Marlin boltgun using CB longs.

Years ago, my trashcan was getting invaded and trash was getting tossed all over the place. I thought it was raccoons, so I decided to scope them out. I noticed the security light would come on around 1AM, so I planned around that. I made my hide about 10 yards from my trashcan. I went out about 12:30 and waited. When the light turned on, the lid on my trashcan flipped and something fell in. I waited with the scope trained on the open can. When two little lights popped up and blinked, I squeezed off a shot. The lights disappeared, and scurrying and thrashing noises came from my trashcan. After a few seconds, they stopped, and I took a look. I put a round dead between the eyes of a large cat! So, to answer your question, yes, with good shot placement, you can kill a cat using CB rounds.

btw.... I like cats. I don't think I would have taken the shot if I had known it was a cat.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 07:48 AM
CB rounds travel about 720fps. I used them around my place because I don't like disturbing my neighbors. If you use them in a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel, they sound like a high powered pelletgun. In fact, my RWS M-48 is louder than my Marlin boltgun using CB longs.

Years ago, my trashcan was getting invaded and trash was getting tossed all over the place. I thought it was raccoons, so I decided to scope them out. I noticed the security light would come on around 1AM, so I planned around that. I made my hide about 10 yards from my trashcan. I went out about 12:30 and waited. When the light turned on, the lid on my trashcan flipped and something fell in. I waited with the scope trained on the open can. When two little lights popped up and blinked, I squeezed off a shot. The lights disappeared, and scurrying and thrashing noises came from my trashcan. After a few seconds, they stopped, and I took a look. I put a round dead between the eyes of a large cat! So, to answer your question, yes, with good shot placement, you can kill a cat using CB rounds.

btw.... I like cats. I don't think I would have taken the shot if I had known it was a cat.

Cat Murderer!!! :crying_small:

Good shootin Tex. :clap:

sisyphus
08-15-2010, 08:49 AM
As far as U.S.-made, I've only used CCI's and they were the same length as .22 Longs (NOT long rifle). I also have some German-made CB's that have cases about as long as a .22 starter gun blank without the crimp. The bullet is conical with a point and they are more powerful than those CCI's. Not very loud out of a long barrel and the sound is not readily identifiable as either a gunshot or pellet rifle unless you know what you're listening for. These that I have came in a tin like pellets do.

Never shot at anything outside about 25 yds, but they were VERY effective at that range. Watch out for the rabid animal rights nazis, whatever you do!!! They don't care why you may do things, only that you do them.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Don't feel bad.
Cat shooting is necessary to keep them for injuring themselves and suffering as a result.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/funny-cats_01.jpg

AKTexas
08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Anybody have any experience with shooting cats with CB's? This is from a 24" barrel'd Cz m69.

No cat lover comments please. We are litterally covered up with feral cats in my little town.

I've trapped one but there are about 4 or 5 more coming into our yard and getting a drink and crapping all over.

Wouldn't be such a problem accept our dog finds the scat and eats it... and she doesn't need that - she's almost 14 years old now.

If I can trap em, I will, but there's a big Tom that's too crafty to go for the tuna....

I'm a cat lover but I have no love for the feral bastards.Shoot em up and make tacos and sell them from the back of your truck to local job sites...

In fact we have skunks,opossums,raccoons and some feral cats these would good for some quiet pest control.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I respect people's love for cats.
I've never liked them, never owned one, and never will.
There's just something about them.

63DH8
08-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I respect people's love for cats.
I've never liked them, never owned one, and never will.
There's just something about them.

I used to feel the same way until I got this cat. She was feral when I got her. It took about a month for her to come around. Then, she ended up become a one person cat. She hated my ex. Whenever she tried to pet the cat, the cat would take a swipe at her. She also loved to go with whenever I went shooting or varmint hunting.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=193&d=1281891869.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=191&d=1281891675.jpg.jpg

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 12:33 PM

That's hilarious.
I wish I could get my pooch to pose like that. He's scared of guns and runs every time I get one out.

AKTexas
08-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Your cat is unique.Damn cool pic.

I used to feel the same way until I got this cat. She was feral when I got her. It took about a month for her to come around. Then, she ended up become a one person cat. She hated my ex. Whenever she tried to pet the cat, the cat would take a swipe at her. She also loved to go with whenever I went shooting or varmint hunting.

That's hilarious.
I wish I could get my pooch to pose like that. He's scared of guns and runs every time I get one out.

Your dog is a leftist then.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Your cat is unique.Damn cool pic.

Your dog is a leftist then.

He apparently has a lot of Brit in him. Damn Limey genes.

AKTexas
08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
He apparently has a lot of Brit in him. Damn Limey genes.

Does he have bad teeth and an unhealthy obsession with his or your anus?

Don't answer the 2nd part of the question.

slamfire51
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Does he have bad teeth and an unhealthy obsession with his or your anus?

Don't answer the 2nd part of the question.

Since you mention it, he is missing the teeth between his lower canines.
And YES, he does lick his anus pretty often.

Damn BRITS, they ruined my dog. Bastards!!!!

AKTexas
08-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Since you mention it, he is missing the teeth between his lower canines.
And YES, he does lick his anus pretty often.

Damn BRITS, they ruined my dog. Bastards!!!!

Damn too funny!

abpt1
08-15-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?product=Whisper%20Silent%20Cat&productID=321
http://www.qtl.co.il/img/copy.pnghttp://www.google.com/favicon.ico (http://www.google.com/search?q=%5BQUOTE=AKTexas;20848%5DI%27m%20a%20cat% 20lover%20but%20I%20have%20no%20love%20for%20the%2 0feral%20bastards.Shoot%20em%20up%20and%20make%20t acos%20and%20sell%20them%20from%20the%20back%20of% 20your%20truck%20to%20local%20job%20sites...%0D%0A %0D%0AIn%20fact%20we%20have%20skunks,opossums,racc oons%20and%20some%20feral%20cats%20these%20would%2 0good%20for%20some%20quiet%20pest%20control.%5B/QUOTE%5D%0D%0A)http://www.qtl.co.il/img/trans.png

abpt1
08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.gamousa.com/family.aspx?family=Whisper%20Series&familyID=71

O.S.O.K.
08-17-2010, 08:48 PM
These rounds are being launched from a Romanian M69 - 24" barrel with three flip-up sights (25, 50 and 100 meters) shoots right to point of aim with the 25m sight at about 15 yards - which is about perfect.

Is very quiet - those "magnum" air guns are loud as hell in comparisson - crack!

shadow65
08-17-2010, 09:23 PM
CCI standard velocity are very consistant for cycling and accuracy through a suppressor. Remington Subs are very quiet, but some rifles won't cycle with them.

Faulkner
08-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I've had to clean out cat infestations before and typically used a Stinger with a one shot stop. Sometimes noise is not an issue if you only fire one round.

When the sound of the report really is a issue I've used Remington Sub Sonic long rifle rounds on cats out of a Browning BL22 lever action so cycling wasn't a problem. I've also used CCI and Remington shorts. Never used a CB round on a cat because I have used it on 'possums and squirrells and sometimes it seems to pi$$ 'em off.

I've also used a compound bow and arrow with critter getter heads.

I'm not a cat person but I don't particularly dislike them. Unfortunately, my neighbor lets them get out of hand from time to time. I've told him numerous times if he can't get 'em under control I will. :sniper:

O.S.O.K.
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, just to be clear, these are feral cats - the town's covered up in them. I haven't popped any yet as they seem to have cleared out after I trapped one - they haven't gone after the tuna in the trap again either.

But I'm really concerned that I'm going to go for a head shot (the only way with CB's I think) and wound one - I want to put them down DRT. I know that even a standard .22LR round will fail to do that if you don't center their brain - which isn't that big...

63DH8
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, just to be clear, these are feral cats - the town's covered up in them. I haven't popped any yet as they seem to have cleared out after I trapped one - they haven't gone after the tuna in the trap again either.

I once caught a feral kitten and convinced it to accept me. They're smart little buggers! She grew up to become the one pictured above. It took about a month for her to finally come when I called her. After a while, I got her trained to attack on command. She didn't like my ex. In fact, she would slap my ex whenever she tried to pet the cat. Last I saw of her was when I sicced her on the garbageman. He saw her running towards him, he jumped in his truck and took off. That's the last I saw of her. :(

American Rage
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM

American tabbys, like yours, are the only cat worth having in my opinion.

Rage

63DH8
08-25-2010, 03:20 AM
American tabbys, like yours, are the only cat worth having in my opinion.

Rage

I like the shorthair tabby because they don't seem to shed like the longhaired or the fine haired cats do. That was the first cat I ever owned, so it's personality wasn't what I thought a cat's personality was. It was kinda introverted and didn't like anyone but me. She also seemed more intelligent than the other cats. I don't know if it was because she was feral or because her breed.

l921428x
08-25-2010, 04:39 AM

I have had the same problem and used the same solution. I had no problem out to 20 yrds, but did not shoot farther. You will need to tweek your sighting a bit,
as the rounds drop slightly faster. I did what I had to do for the cats birds squirrells and ground squirrells, still hurts to this day, but was a must.

abpt1
08-25-2010, 07:44 AM
These rounds are being launched from a Romanian M69 - 24" barrel with three flip-up sights (25, 50 and 100 meters) shoots right to point of aim with the 25m sight at about 15 yards - which is about perfect.

Is very quiet - those "magnum" air guns are loud as hell in comparisson - crack!
link gos to the Gammo Wisper its the silenced air rifle

O.S.O.K.
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
link gos to the Gammo Wisper its the silenced air rifle

I have read posts about these - the owners say that they are far from quiet... much to their chagrin.

alismith
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm not a cat person but I don't particularly dislike them. Unfortunately, my neighbor lets them get out of hand from time to time. I've told him numerous times if he can't get 'em under control I will. :sniper:

I'm not a cat person, either, but as long as a cat is kept indoors all the time, I have no problems with it. If I see one outside, it's fair game. Cats do more damage to native wildlife than any other single animal.

I've always used CB Shorts in a bolt action and never had a problem with them.

aliceinchains
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I have read posts about these - the owners say that they are far from quiet... much to their chagrin.

Yep, they are far from quiet. What a crock of poop! Anything to make a sale.

63DH8
09-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm not a cat person, either, but as long as a cat is kept indoors all the time, I have no problems with it. If I see one outside, it's fair game. Cats do more damage to native wildlife than any other single animal.

I heard from oldtimers who shot a lot of shorts that they tend to lead up the lead (mouth) of the chamber to the point where the round has problems entering the bore. Some get shaved to the point where the bullet doesn't seal and others simply get stuck. Supposedly, that was the reason for the longs.

l921428x
09-15-2010, 03:28 AM

You are wrong with that statement.
Humans do far more damage with thier cars everyday. I know, same thing but different right?

alismith
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
You are wrong with that statement.
Humans do far more damage with thier cars everyday. I know, same thing but different right?

Discovery Channel had a show on about 15 years ago that talked about cats that were allowed to run loose. In England, they put tracking collars on 25 cats who were allowed to roam by their owners. The cats were monitored and every time they made a kill, the crew rushed in to see what animal was killed. This went on for most of the summer months.

One old woman's cat killed over 400 (total) birds, squirrels, moles, rabbits, shrews, etc. The woman was shocked that her cute little kitty would ever do such a thing. But, the proof was there. The crew counted all the animals killed by the 25 cats and 400 was about the average for all of them.

Now, multiply 400 for all the cats in the US that are feral, or allowed to roam by their owners and the number is staggering.

If each human kills more than 400 animals during the summer months, then it won't be long before all animals are extinct. Granted, humans kill larger animals than cats do, but, even with my car I would have a hard time keeping up with a cat in shear numbers.

If you're referring to habitat destruction and pesticides, then you are probably right, but I was referring to just the killing of individual animals, not the results of killing them through removing their environments.

alismith
09-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I heard from oldtimers who shot a lot of shorts that they tend to lead up the lead (mouth) of the chamber to the point where the round has problems entering the bore. Some get shaved to the point where the bullet doesn't seal and others simply get stuck. Supposedly, that was the reason for the longs.

Yeah, I didn't shoot that many shorts, but since I used that rifle for just about everything, I shot mostly LR in it and never saw a problem with leading in the barrel. I guess the LR helped blow out whatever lead buildup was in there. Since I used it alot, I cleaned it often.

O.S.O.K.
09-17-2010, 07:55 AM
My CB's are Remington Longs.

And IMHO, feral cats need to be eliminated - just lke ferel dogs.

I had to shoot several dogs when I lived in the country - don't like that either... but they were a danger to my family and ran my cows - which stresses them. So, they had to go.

GG&G
10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
I have been shooting at crows by the pond at about 100 yards, and if doesn't kill them. That is out of a 10/22 with winchester white box. I am pretty sure I am hitting them, as I can hit clay pigeons at that distance reliably. I am aiming at the body though and not the head.