PDA

View Full Version : I got to see a Remington Rand today!

Schuetzenman
05-28-2011, 11:51 PM
I was at a range shooting the C&R matches for May. A guy a couple years older than myself showed up with an 18 year old and two girls, guess one was his boy's girlfriend. Anyway I noticed him shooting a 1911 with some honking big target sights on it. I asked him what he had and he handed me the weapon.

I look down and low and behold it says Remington Rand on the slide. I look further and it says model 1911A1, I see crossed cannon arsenal marks on the frame. Small ones. The grips are brown checkered plastic, to me they looked like mint GI plastic grips. The down side was somebody had tried to turn it into a bullseye gun. Tall front sight and a Millet rear sight. Even more injury to the weapon was they'd put some kind of modern finish on it, felt like Dura Coat.

I asked if I could disassemble the slide and look around. He said, sure. It had the solid barrel busshing, not the newer collet type. It was all GI except for the sights. Still had the lanyard loop on it too! I asked him how he got it, said he bought it from an estate sale 20 years ago. Only paid $350 for it! :duh:

Partisan1983
05-29-2011, 02:28 AM
Jeezus!!!!!!!:dizzy:

deth502
05-29-2011, 05:40 PM
ive seen quite a few of them around for sale, especially at estate aucions like that. never saw one that sold in my price range though. id be all over it for $350!

whos2kno
06-16-2011, 07:43 PM
that would be cool to own one

Faulkner
08-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I've never shopped at estate sales. I bet I could run across a carbine or two at one of those. :gruebel:

jojo
08-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I know an old guy that has one in the craft box it came in. He won't even think about getting rid of it. Makes me sick just knowing it's that close to me and he won't even give me his "crazy" figure for it.

Schuetzenman
08-21-2011, 07:16 AM
I know an old guy that has one in the craft box it came in. He won't even think about getting rid of it. Makes me sick just knowing it's that close to me and he won't even give me his "crazy" figure for it.

Wait for his estate sale. You can't own weapons forever.

NAPOTS
08-21-2011, 11:31 AM
you could always have him over for dinner 3x a week and serve nothing but bacon dipped in lard, served with a side of deep fried bacon to try and speed things up a little

whos2kno
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
you could always have him over for dinner 3x a week and serve nothing but bacon dipped in lard, served with a side of deep fried bacon to try and speed things up a little
sounds good to me