PDA

View Full Version : I found a wierd snake here in Cannon county

Altarboy
05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
It was short and fat like the other pit vipers around here, but when we got near it, it's big triangular head flattened and it got really wide and flat behind it's head like a cobra. But, it never raised up like it wanted to strike. It was black and yellow. Any ideas?

alismith
05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
From your description, it sounds like a hognosed snake. They are all bluff and puff, but don't bite. If they feel cornered, they flatten out, hiss real loud, and flatten their heads into a triangle. If you keep "pestering" them, they regurgitate their last meal, writhe like they just swallowed poison, and roll over on their backs and play dead. Their mouth is open and their tongue hangs out.

The funny thing is, if you stick your finger in their mouths (which I have done), they move their head away from you (without closing their mouths). If you turn them over, they turn back over and play dead all over again. To them, dead means lying on their backs.

They're harmless unless you're a frog or toad, which they eat.

The oddest thing about them is their species have no set color pattern. I've seem them all black; black with orange spots; brown; tan and brown, black and tan; etc.

They're fairly common around here on the east coast.

AKTexas
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Like this? I used to catch these as a kid all over the Houston.

http://ivycreekfoundation.org/im/florafauna/hognosesnake1_350x271.jpg

ltorlo64
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
The funny thing is, if you stick your finger in their mouths (which I have done), they move their head away from you (without closing their mouths).

You sir, are out of your mind!

TheMrMitch
05-30-2011, 11:58 PM
They are funny to watch playing dead. One crossed in front of a feller showing me a piece of land and he went bonkers. He blurted "A rattleheaded copper snake" while hauling butt. My bud and I nearly died laughing.
I think AK has the right pic. Harmless.

old Grump
05-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Yeah, they are a neat snake, We have them here in Wisconsin too, average seems to be around 2-2' 6" around here. I know they get bigger but I haven't seen them. Biggest snake I saw up here was a 6'+ Pine snake when I was fishing the Wisconsin River. I thought it was pretty neat so I told these 5 youngsters, (late teens early 20's) who were fishing about 20' from me. Since they were outdoorsmen I thought they would appreciate it. I never saw gear picked up so fast or a car filled and out of a parking spot. At least I got a couple of dozen night crawlers out of it. I just don't understand some people's kids. :laugh:

deth502
05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
yup, hognosed cobra.

i remember the one time me and a buddy came across one. he said, "if you fuck with them, they play dead" and started poking it with a stick. then when it didnt oblige, he started whacking it with the stick. i remember telling him, "i know, but if you keep that shit up, he wont be playing"

alismith
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
You sir, are out of your mind!

I've been told that quite often.

However, I've been bitten by more snakes than a lot of people have been bitten by mosquitoes (no poisonous snake bites). If I know it's not poisonous, I don't care if I get bitten or not. Not a biggy. However, the only one I really hate getting bitten by is my anaconda. She hurts like hell when she bites. I wear my leather jacket and leather gloves when I handle her now.

I had always heard that hognosed snakes refuse to bite, so when one played dead and opened its mouth, I put my finger inside to see if it were true. It was true. He did everything he could to avoid closing his mouth on my finger.

Altarboy
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Yep that's it, a hognosed. Thanks guys.