PDA

View Full Version : Del-Ton A3 Range Report

ltorlo64
05-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Took my new AR out today. I put 40 rounds of PMC Bronze through it with no problems. My wife came with me to watch and she was getting cold, so we left before I could shoot anymore. She thinks my involvement with the C&R postal match is pretty cool and she wanted to watch me shoot for that. Anyway, as for accuracy, I wish I had taken my camera. I used one of those stick on targets at 100 yards. Turns out you can't take them off the target stand, at least not in one piece anyway. Back to the accuracy. Using open sights I had a spread about 6-7" tall by about 4" wide. Interesting thing was that I did not hit the left side of the target at all. I was centered about 2" from center.

The buffer tube in the butt stock was new to me. I have never fired an AR before and to feel and hear the spring compress and recoil after every shot was different. The recoil was interesting also. I would say the rifle jumps more than kicks. I sort of liked it.

The other thing that was wierd, at least to me was the pistol grip. It positioned my had pretty high as compared to the trigger, causing me to have to bend my finger in an unusual way to be able to fire using the tip. Don't know if that is the correct way, but it is how I feel most comfortable.

Now for the question. My rifle knocked the black off the tab sitting just behind the ejection port. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/544/medium/018.JPG

Is that normal?

All in all, I am very happy with this rifle. I should have done this a long time ago.

RJ Shooter
05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
It didn't knock the black off, that's the brass coming off the case. That's the left handed ejector guard, and the rounds will almost always smack it... It means your rifle is doing what it's supposed to!

If it bothers you though, a little solvent and a plastic tooth brush easily takes it off just fine. ;)

As for your hand position and trigger pull, the web of your hand doesn't have to go all the way up in the curve of the lower. As a matter of fact, your hand doesn't have to be any higher than the plastic pistol grip. Just hold it in a way that feels natural, and the trigger will be in the perfect position, as well as the mag release... You shouldn't have to adjust your hand position for either, or the selector switch. The AR is probably the most ergonomic assault rifle ever made.

Schuetzenman
05-31-2011, 06:17 AM
RJ has it right, those are brass markings from your ejected cases and that shape is called the brass deflecter. I also agree with his advise on your hand position. If you have some huge Gorilla type hands you might want to put a Moe grip by Magpull as they are larger. I would also say that it's not the tip of the finger as much as it should be the center of your trigger finger's pad that is placed on the trigger.

Viking350
05-31-2011, 06:22 AM
I'm still waiting on my Del-Ton uppers. Thanks for the post!

ltorlo64
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the knowledge. I feel better.

As for my finger on the trigger, I use the pad of my first joint. The grip on the AR pushes me more to the second joint, or the middle part of my index finger. Don't think I have large hands, though I may have long fingers.

O.S.O.K.
05-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Keep shooting. My del-ton rifle kits (on stag lowers) all three shoot MOA with import SS109 62 grain ammo. That's rested with optics. Rested with irons is more like 2 MOA - as long as there's a good reference point on the target.

AR's are weird... but fun!

Schuetzenman
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the knowledge. I feel better.

As for my finger on the trigger, I use the pad of my first joint. The grip on the AR pushes me more to the second joint, or the middle part of my index finger. Don't think I have large hands, though I may have long fingers.

Take a photo of your hand next to the grip of the weapon or of your hand griping the weapon for us to analyze.

davepool
05-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Interesting comment on the noise of the buffer spring.

That was my first impression of the M-16 when i fired it for the first time at Marine ITR in 1971. After training and qualifing with an M-14 in boot camp, that "Cha- Ching" sound was a little surprising, we were all convinced that cheap plastic peice of crap would fall apart in our hands.

Glad you're enjoying the rifle, my Bushmaster loves that PMC bronze, and it's cheap :)

Solidus-snake
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Those are brass kisses ;) as my cousin calls them anyways.

Good to hear your report man, and thats a good looking rifle there too. Personally I have the Magpul MOE grip on my AR. I think it allows my hand to sit in a better position, and I even have smaller hands.

arcangel
06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I too went with Magpuls MOE grip on both of my AR's. It makes a world of a difference for me. I broke my right pinky, and the next finger some years back. And the regular AR pistol grips hurt bad after a while. Magpul makes good stuff.

kimberkid
06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
You are evidently BRAND NEW to AR's ... welcome to the dark side :)

AR's have become as commercialized as the 10/22 has to rim-fire rifles or the VW Bug was to cars ... there is nearly unlimited options and accessories for it!

A little grease or Vaseline on the buffer spring will help quiet the "sproing" if it bothers you, but use it sparingly, too much and it will come out the vent hole in the stock screw and get on your clothes or in cold weather may make your rifle cycle short and fail to strip a new round from the mag ... but honestly after a while you won't even notice it.

There are about a dozen grip makers ... On my varmint/target AR I like the Ergo textured grip, it sets back about 1/2" extra pull length ... I also fashioned a trigger shoe from a Wilson 1911 trigger for an additional 3/8" which allows me to comfortably use the tip of my trigger finger also the serrations on the front of the trigger allows for a better grip on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P3020258.jpg