PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

ltorlo64
05-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Took my M1 Carbine out today. It is an Inland, manufactured in 1943. It is also one of the Bavarian Carbines that when Germany was done with it, was transferred to Austria before being sent back to the states to be sold.

I fired 100 rounds through it, mostly to get ready for the C&R Postal Match. I forgot my spotting scope and my empty chamber flags so when I was done, my wife took me to Wholesale Sports and bought me a range bag. I shouldn't forget anything else (I hope).

I was using American Eagle, 110 gr FMJ, about the only thing you can get for the Carbine. It was very accurate, holding everything within about a 5" spread. The annoying thing today was the FTFs. I had at least one for each 10 rounds. I even had a couple where when I fired, the empty casing was ejected and a live round was also ejected. I am not sure how that can happen. When I got home I did a very good cleaning on it. I will take it out again in a couple of weeks and see how she does.

I also took my Garand out, but was not able to shoot it today. It will get some time when I go next. I did see another young man there with a new CMP Garand. His had a brand new stock and foregrip. It looked nice, but I think the used one like is on my Garand gives it more character.

It was a pretty good day.

Schuetzenman
05-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Carbine double feeding is mag related. Are you using 30 round mags, these usually are the ones that mess up. I've got only original 15 round GI mags and have never had a missfeed with any of them.

Carbine recoil springs wear out. Of the two Carbines I've owned both needed a new recoil spring to make them feed and function correctly. The first one and Inland wouldn't strip a round out of the mag if I loaded more than 12 rounds. My Postal Meter was similar if not worse until I put a new spring in it.

ltorlo64
05-31-2011, 08:34 AM
I was using GI 15 round mags yesterday. I have a couple of 5 round mags if I decide to hunt and a couple of 10 rounders if I get stationed in California again. Other than that all my mags are CMP Mil-surplus 15 rounders.

I will try replacing the recoil spring. Thanks for the advice.

imanaknut
05-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your range report on a rifle with an interesting history! :thumbsup:

Now that you have a range bag to put things in, guess what you will forget next??!! :laugh:

ltorlo64
05-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your range report on a rifle with an interesting history! :thumbsup:

Now that you have a range bag to put things in, guess what you will forget next??!! :laugh:

Hopefully nothing if my wife is with me!

Schuetzenman
05-31-2011, 06:27 PM

Yeah, the rifle. :laugh: