PDA

View Full Version : How i learned to stop worrying and get that dang Receiver cover back in place

Makasaurus
05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
I picked up a new WASR 10 single stack today. No time to shoot it for now. $490 OTD at turner's outdoorsmen.
My first ak i also have a Stag ar that i love. I think after the glock 26, bersa thunder and ruger p85 i'm through with buying guns for a while. Supply lines getting longer and harder to maintain lol, too many calibers.

Anyway i stained the wood first thing. I used a water-based product called: Watco danish oil finish, in cherry. I removed the forearm furniture and left the stock attached. The simpler the better. Here is the after picture, the WASR furniture comes in blond and totally unfinished, i think. I wanted to seal it first thing at least. Here's a picture.
I think i will follow up with Formby's Tung oil at some point, what does anyone think of this idea?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/AKStaineded.jpg

Anyway on the the important part i think. Getting the receiver cover back on. Maybe you have a good AK not the cheapest one in the world like mine. And you have never had this problem. But getting that receiver cover back on can be a MOFO! After hours of frustration here are a couple tips i learned that may help someone!

The rear of the cover needs to fit flush down in its tiny recess ahead of the stock. If it doesn't, the button is NEVER going in without a hammer.
If you are having problems installing the receiver cover on your AK, remove the spring and examine the fit here. Here's what i mean:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/REDRED.jpg

Examine this area closely. You should be able to lower the rear of the cover all the way into the tiny gap shown by the red arrow. (don't forget where the front part of the cover goes or else you will have to do it again).
I used a crescent wrench padded with paper towel, to bend in the back of the receiver cover just a fraction of a millimeter, then bent the sides of the cover outwards the same small amount. Voila! Cover now pops in place.

Schuetzenman
05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Pffft, newbie. No need to bend stuff. You line it up and smack the top cover at the top of the slope with the heal of your hand in a sharp down and forward direction. They all pop right in place and the button release comes out the hole.

romak10/63UF
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
some one please tell me what is that thing that is extending were the magazine release should be ?

As far as the top cover goes there is a indent in the front of the trunion were the reciver cover fits into then slap it down ontop of the recoil spring.

imanaknut
05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
I have to admit that I have had an AK or two that required a gentle wack with a mallet to adjust the back so that it fits into the trunion as you show in your photo. The receiver cover is also like some women I know, who like everything to line up just right before.... :cool1:

FunkyPertwee
05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
So your a Stanley Kubrick fan, I see. Welcome to the forum.

bovver
05-31-2011, 10:42 PM
So your a Stanley Kubrick fan, I see. Welcome to the forum.

He did good with a clockwork.

Yeah,op dont start bending and tweaking.
Stay away from big screwdrivers and hammers.

Makasaurus
05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
i tried that, all i did was hurt my hand.

Makasaurus
05-31-2011, 11:34 PM
The thing is the California magazine restriction device. You must have a tool to release the magazine and 10 rounds only.
Where's a good state to move to?

Schuetzenman
06-01-2011, 06:00 AM
The thing is the California magazine restriction device. You must have a tool to release the magazine and 10 rounds only.
Where's a good state to move to?

Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama for starters. Living here in Georgia there are no stupid ass 10 round rules, silencers and transferrable Machine guns and subguns are easily purchased if you have the money. Bet our taxes are a lot lower than Kommiefornia too.

Makasaurus
06-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama for starters. Living here in Georgia there are no stupid ass 10 round rules, silencers and transferrable Machine guns and subguns are easily purchased if you have the money. Bet our taxes are a lot lower than Kommiefornia too.

Are you meaning to tell me 10% sales tax is too high? I must have missed something lol.
The last guns i have bought were in the last year or two. I reasoned that if i did not buy them NOW i might never have the opportunity again, living here.
The ammo purchase bill (50 rounds restriction per month plus a fingerprint and ID) was about to pass in February but got "suspended" by a California judge. All that means is it will pass someday just not this month.
California's great, a lot of us say the 3 good things about it are the weather, the weather and the weather.

bovver
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Are you meaning to tell me 10% sales tax is too high? I must have missed something lol.
The last guns i have bought were in the last year or two. I reasoned that if i did not buy them NOW i might never have the opportunity again, living here.
The ammo purchase bill (50 rounds restriction per month plus a fingerprint and ID) was about to pass in February but got "suspended" by a California judge. All that means is it will pass someday just not this month.
California's great, a lot of us say the 3 good things about it are the weather, the weather and the weather.

Yeah,California is great.
Im from there and moved for many reasons.
I did find myself in a gunshop within the first six months of living here in Alabama when I found I could buy an AK.
Soon after I found this site here,this was just before the 9-11.
Was also the same month of my first gunshow.
You could go to Arizona,they are gun friendly.

antijorge
06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I am buying a chinese norinko and the guy I'm buying it from fumbled around with this for a while. He did finally get it in there. I will let him know to watch for this. I don't have my gun yet, but it should be soon. I was a bit worried that I would have the same trouble...no more.

binky59
08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I am buying a chinese norinko and the guy I'm buying it from fumbled around with this for a while. He did finally get it in there. I will let him know to watch for this. I don't have my gun yet, but it should be soon. I was a bit worried that I would have the same trouble...no more.

I had a couple of WASR10s that had tight reciever covers, I think the problem might be the way they tolerance the distance between the front and
rear trunion. mine seemed to be to close together. I measured the distance between the front and back of the cover and found that the distance was
just a touch long, I ground just a very little off the front of the reciever cover, it now snaps on and off much better. I left the covers tight to fit but
easier to get on and off.

deth502
08-28-2011, 06:39 PM
The receiver cover is also like some women I know, who like everything to line up just right before.... :cool1:

i thought that analogy was going to go in a different direction :lol:

imanaknut
08-28-2011, 06:53 PM
i thought that analogy was going to go in a different direction :lol:

Glad to know that I am not the only one with a mind in the gutter. I was getting worried!