PDA

View Full Version : Disk brake question?

Verhasst
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I just had my front brakes on my Ford Ranger replaced. After a week I noticed a grinding noise coming from the wheel. So I pulled the wheel off and found the problem. There is a piece of what looks like aluminum between the pads and caliper. It was rubbing against either the inside of the rim or the rotor, or both. So I bent the shit out of it so it would stop rubbing.

What is this piece for? It looked new and like it belonged there. It was at both ends of the pad, wrapped aroud the the caliper, sticking out the top of the caliper. It's thin, thinner than a pop can thickness, but thicker than aluminum foil.

I've done brakes myself before and have never seen this. I can only guess it may be for noise reduction? If so that is ironic. Anyways, just wondering why it's there?

Verhasst
05-31-2011, 09:27 PM
I think I found out what it is. It's the brake pad retainer. It looks kind of chewed up. I hope it does not effect the function of the brakes.

imanaknut
05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
If the retainer came off, that would have to be an assembly issue. Those things should lock in tight. If it damaged the rotor or the pad, the dealer should replace the damaged parts without cost to you. Again, my opinion as that part should not come loose.

romak10/63UF
05-31-2011, 09:52 PM
there is a peice on the brake pad called a anti squill spring.. when the brake pads get low enough it will make a noise that sounds like finger nails on the chaulk board...

imanaknut
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Ahah! Dueling brake threads!

I feel better now even though I thought I was answering the other post with my reply above!!!:laugh:

63DH8
06-01-2011, 02:16 AM
I just had my front brakes on my Ford Ranger replaced. After a week I noticed a grinding noise coming from the wheel. So I pulled the wheel off and found the problem. There is a piece of what looks like aluminum between the pads and caliper. It was rubbing against either the inside of the rim or the rotor, or both. So I bent the shit out of it so it would stop rubbing.

What is this piece for? It looked new and like it belonged there. It was at both ends of the pad, wrapped aroud the the caliper, sticking out the top of the caliper. It's thin, thinner than a pop can thickness, but thicker than aluminum foil.

I've done brakes myself before and have never seen this. I can only guess it may be for noise reduction? If so that is ironic. Anyways, just wondering why it's there?

How about posting a picture of the part in question?

Krupski
06-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Most replacement disk brake pads that I've used came with thin metal pads the same shape as the brake pad itself. The thin pad goes between the piston and the brake pad. I have no idea what it's supposed to do, but since it's supposed to be there, I put it in.

63DH8
06-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Most replacement disk brake pads that I've used came with thin metal pads the same shape as the brake pad itself. The thin pad goes between the piston and the brake pad. I have no idea what it's supposed to do, but since it's supposed to be there, I put it in.

It's supposed to help keep the brakes from squealing. I use anti-squeal compound myself.

Verhasst
06-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I was going to take a picture of it, but It was getting late and it was about 85 degrees out. OK I was too lazy to. Anyways its part of the brake hardware kit. It's an anti rattle device.

Here is a pic I found online :

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/bhh/p833b.jpg

I'm guessing it will not effect the function of the brakes if it's damaged or missing. They may just rattle or grind a little bit?

Verhasst
06-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I want to thank everyone for not pointing out myspelling error(s). I know it's disc not disk.

ATAK, Inc.
06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I was going to take a picture of it, but It was getting late and it was about 85 degrees out. OK I was too lazy to. Anyways its part of the brake hardware kit. It's an anti rattle device.

Here is a pic I found online :

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/bhh/p833b.jpg

I'm guessing it will not effect the function of the brakes if it's damaged or missing. They may just rattle or grind a little bit?

You run the risk of the pad(s) hanging up on the caliper bracket, These clips are to not only keep the pads in tension, but also to provide a smooth surface for their movement.

If someone else did the work, I would take the car back to them and tell them that they now need to replace ALL of the clips!

63DH8
06-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Verhasst, don't mess around when it comes to brakes! That's a good way to get killed or kill someone else! Get the truck back to the dealership ASAP, and get the brakes fixed correctly! If you kill or injured someone, you could get sued.

Gunner1558
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM
If you paid someone to do the work, it should be done correctly.

Take it back to where the work was done and request that they make it right.

Functional brakes are kind of important...

l921428x
06-03-2011, 03:03 AM
I want to thank everyone for not pointing out myspelling error(s). I know it's disc not disk.

Not yet, but they will get to it! Welcome to the forum.