PDA

View Full Version : James Arness dead at 88

Richard Simmons
06-03-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/03/gunsmoke-star-james-arness-dies-at-age-88/

Grew up watching Gunsmoke and always liked Jim. He wasn't a real old west lawman but I'd like to think there were some like him back then.

RIP Marshal Dillon

AKTexas
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I just saw that.

mriddick
06-03-2011, 04:13 PM
On the bright side he can date Miss Kitty once again (Amanda Blake dead since 1989)

AKTexas
06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
My dad loved that show when I met him he brought me a Gunsmoke toy gun set.

mriddick
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
We did not get a TV till very late in the game, I believe Gunsmoke and Disney were the only two shows I was allowed to watch for years.

coppertales
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
he was great as the marshall. FYI, the reason he limped is because he was wounded at Anzio in Italy.....I wonder if he ever jumped Miss Kitty? chris3

Full Otto
06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/10gyyac.jpg

FunkyPertwee
06-03-2011, 04:35 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/10gyyac.jpg

I enjoyed the movie, but its a really bad adaptation of the story its based on. The John Carpenter version is much better and more like the original story Who Goes There?

Richard Simmons
06-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Was reading more about him and I guess I either forgot or never knew that Peter Graves was his brother?

Full Otto
06-03-2011, 04:53 PM
The John Carpenter version is much better

Oh for sure but for 1951 it held up good when I watched it as a kid in the 60's

"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off"

way better

cowdawg
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
R I P James Arness, :salute: I grew up watching him in Gunsmoke and wore out the sides of our chair in the Front Room with the fenders of my saddle watching him when I was a pup. I got to watch him work while I was an extra in "How the West Was Won" that was a neat experience.

weevil
06-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I also grew up watching Gunsmoke.

It was one of those shows that the whole family, even my mom, actually made a point of watching every week.

FunkyPertwee
06-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh for sure but for 1951 it held up good when I watched it as a kid in the 60's

"I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off"

way better

My favorite part of the old movie is when they board up the door, and when the monster approaches it, he just opens it because the door opens inward and they boarded the outward side.

dfariswheel
06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I read his auto-biography a few years ago. He wasn't quite what you'd expect a Hollywood actor to be.

As one Hollywood person said, two very decent young men named Arnuss (the original spelling pronounced Are-Noose) came to Hollywood and saw no need to change their basic decency. When they were in their 80's after long Hollywood careers, they were still two decent men from Minnesota.

James was well on his way to being a California-Hawaii beach bum surfer when he got into acting in the 50's.
They don't make them like that any more, and Hollywood never made them like that.

Full Otto
06-03-2011, 06:55 PM
My favorite part of the old movie is when they board up the door, and when the monster approaches it, he just opens it because the door opens inward and they boarded the outward side.

I don't remember that but it sounds about right, that's funny.
I do remember them comparing his cell structure to a carrot and decided to try and cook him with electricity. I believe that's what worked

I'm guessing they might start showing it around here in his memory. They play Gunsmoke every day here (out of Chicago) and on Saturdays go all the way back to the B&W Matt Dillon's

Warthogg
06-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Was reading more about him and I guess I either forgot or never knew that Peter Graves was his brother?

I did know that but always seem to forget.

Wart

FunkyPertwee
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't remember that but it sounds about right, that's funny.
I do remember them comparing his cell structure to a carrot and decided to try and cook him with electricity. I believe that's what worked

I'm guessing they might start showing it around here in his memory. They play Gunsmoke every day here (out of Chicago) and on Saturdays go all the way back to the B&W Matt Dillon's

Check out 1:18:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5NKaYDTHBs

Schuetzenman
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
RIP James Arness. Yes Gunsmoke was a favorite of mine when I was growing up as a kid. The Thing was a fave of mine also growing up. I wouldn't mind having a DVD of it.

yankeedog
06-03-2011, 09:20 PM
We did not get a TV till very late in the game, I believe Gunsmoke and Disney were the only two shows I was allowed to watch for years.

Well.................. concidering where you grew up,1 pair of pants for 3 bothers or a TV was really not a choice but a legal solution to the problem LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

dfariswheel
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
My favorite Arness movie was "Them".
It was a classic 50's monster movie starring giant ants in the desert and in the LA sewers.

My favorite scene is Arness and James Whitmore as a highway patrol cop crouching on the edge of the ant crater wearing gas suits and tossing cyanide grenades into the ant colony.
As they toss grenades several ants attack and Whitmore opens fire with a Thompson gun.
The actual firing of the Thompson and the sound effects don't quite match up.

The sound effects are "pop-pop-pop.....pop....pop-pop....pop-pop-pop".
Mean while the Thompson is just SPEWING a solid stream of cases out.

Full Otto
06-04-2011, 06:32 PM
My favorite Arness movie was "Them".
It was a classic 50's monster movie starring giant ants in the desert and in the LA sewers.

My favorite scene is Arness and James Whitmore as a highway patrol cop crouching on the edge of the ant crater wearing gas suits and tossing cyanide grenades into the ant colony.
As they toss grenades several ants attack and Whitmore opens fire with a Thompson gun.
The actual firing of the Thompson and the sound effects don't quite match up.

Then he gets impaled on the rebar.

I remember that one, it was a good

Schuetzenman
06-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Then he gets impaled on the rebar.

I remember that one, it was a good

Actually ... no. Whitmore at the end of the movie gets grabbed by a big ant as he's getting the missing kids up in a drain pipe to make them safe from the ants.

Full Otto
06-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Actually ... no. Whitmore at the end of the movie gets grabbed by a big ant as he's getting the missing kids up in a drain pipe to make them safe from the ants.

Na,na,na,na, no the ant grabs him yeah, but then keeps jamming him up and down on that steel rod when he couldn't get into the drain pipe.
Here he is trying to climb out grabbing the rod before getting stuck on it

http://i54.tinypic.com/10dusfn.jpg

Shit, my geek is showing isn't it?