PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith need help on Norinco Hunter Type ii

Hammerstrike44
06-04-2011, 05:54 AM
I am an experienced AR and AK builder. I've got the right tools and tig-welder. I burn up dremel tools at a pace of 3 a year. Drills, a little sooner. I took in a Norinco Type II Hunter...those 20" jobs-everyone seen them-not really a hunting rifle and not really a true AK. Although the action is of an AK. The customer bought a complete receiver, cover, ugly TGA and TG, and a beat to heck barrel, a stuck gas tube and a beautiful chrome bolt. That's all. Oh the barrel has the front sight and there is not a rear trunnion with a gradient ramped sight. No buttstock, no handgrip. I've probably modified or converted 10 of these and own one myself. I cannot for the life of me find parts for this rifle as a restoration job. I called the customer after 2 month of banter and said "look, I have called everyone and anyone who knows this rifle and there are NO AFTERMARKET PARTS.....PERIOD. I can make them, shorten the barrel and change the airtube and piston to take a 16 and a half Polytech barrel, the stock I can make from Ironwood Designs and instruct them to leave the trunnion milling off the stock and give them the measurements for the hand guard and air-tube cover. Or I can make the same parts out of polymer and dog it out with a quad rail. But no, he wants replacement parts, even though he's been a loyal customer and has never been unreasonable. I'm ready to tell him come get your parts! I need help. Any ideas are welcome. I'll never take the parts of this rifle in again as a restoration. I can make it look like and AK with existing distributors, I can convert it into a Galil, I can even make it look like an AR and take AR style magazines, but I cannot make it look like the Type II it was when imported.

stinker
06-04-2011, 01:13 PM
As a Norinco owner who's tried to locate original parts recently to convert a busholed model to "real ak" configuration you can tell him i said get over it.

If he want's it fixed up he has two choices. Make new replacement parts or spend years waiting, hoping and spending every minute of his life scouring places that sell parts in the hopes that someone finds a part he needs in a hiding box somewhere and they decide to sell it.

There are no original chinese manufactured parts to be had out there for the most part.