PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense Is The Least Commonest Of All Senses

RTBArms1603
06-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Edit: The Title should have said:
Common Sense Is The Least Commonest Of All Senses

I'm sorry...I'm just fed up with the "News" I'm seeing that people are all excited about.

There's the Woman in the Airport that's standing there screaming that she wants a Policeman. I did not see anyone touching her in the Video. I admit it may have happened prior, or I missed it. BUT my opinion is that she can scream forever if it saves one plane from being blown up or hijacked. As was stated previously..."take a Train"...
And SHUT UP!

Then there's the Pharmacist that shoots one of the Robbers (Great Job), chases the other (which I wouldn't do), and then comes back and pumps 5 more into an incapacitated Robber (can you spell conviction?).
I do have a CCW and know it's limitations. After the first Robber was down, and the other fled, he nor anyone else there was in danger. That was the time to call the Police.

Is this all so hard to understand?

RTBArms1603

06-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Lady screeching in the airport...wow, what a shame. We are so hard up as humans nowadays...having to spend a wretched 6-hours to cross the American continent by plane at 35,000' in the air...can't we just get back to the good old days where it took months to do the same via covered wagon. The humanity of it all!!

I don't like the TSA stories anymore than anyone else. I was leaving Great Falls a couple weeks ago thru security at 6:00am and passed with not even a second glance. The old couple in front of me, and I mean REALLY OLD and barely able to walk got the full sphincter check by the TSA and we were the ONLY three people there. I just stood and watched TSA do the full check and made sure the two TSA agents knew I was eyeballing them...watching their every move. They could have cared less...poor old folks, like I said, the could barely walk.

Pharmacist should have known better being an educumated idiot and all. One of our members here had a similar encounter a few years ago, but had the intelligence to only put one round in the perp...too bad it wasn't a fatal round, but hey, he did put him down.

John Edwards....hey look over here folks, you know you hate the puke...keep looking over here sheep while we're fleecing you with our other hand.

Obongo...and I though America had hit bottom when we elected Klinton.

Who or what are they gonna sell us next? Well, we'll have to glue ourselves to Fox News to find out...won't we.

FunkyPertwee
06-04-2011, 11:31 AM
1. I'm tired of the "if it saves one person its worth it" argument. I'd rather maintain my liberty than save one life.

2. What the pharmacist did was legally wrong, but not morally wrong IMO. Don't expect any mercy in my house.

3. Common sense does not exist. It is merely general consensus. I won't let popular opinion sway me unduly, therefore I use my frontal lobes to make decisions, not "common sense".

awp101
06-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Edit: The Title should have said:
Common Sense Is The Least Commonest Of All Senses

Fixed...

Schuetzenman
06-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Anthony Weiner and Weiner Gate is the next distraction.

romak10/63UF
06-04-2011, 12:39 PM
1. I'm tired of the "if it saves one person its worth it" argument. I'd rather maintain my liberty than save one life.

2. What the pharmacist did was legally wrong, but not morally wrong IMO. Don't expect any mercy in my house.

3. Common sense does not exist. It is merely general consensus. I won't let popular opinion sway me unduly, therefore I use my frontal lobes to make decisions, not "common sense".

Number 1 is correct Number 2 well.. hey he did shoot the little guy in the face why not put him out of his misery ? number 3 if confronted by a chance to seek revenge onto the person who just seconds before would of tooken your life.. well i guess i would be guilty too... only if they would of found the body first.. Didnt yall watch the movie GodFather ?

RTBArms1603
06-04-2011, 01:48 PM

1. Until you're the one being saved? Or there is no greater good period?
Do you ignore Red Lights and Stop Signs also? <LOL>
2. An Armed Robbery that has been halted is a Capital Offense? Zieg Heil Herr Loytnon!
Your house is entirely different depending on the circumstances and State.
We have the Castle Doctrine in Ohio and it serves us well.
3. Common Sense...like coming inside out of the rain is a general consensus...OK?

FunkyPertwee
06-04-2011, 02:17 PM
1. Until you're the one being saved? Or there is no greater good period?
Do you ignore Red Lights and Stop Signs also? <LOL>
2. An Armed Robbery that has been halted is a Capital Offense? Zieg Heil Herr Loytnon!
Your house is entirely different depending on the circumstances and State.
We have the Castle Doctrine in Ohio and it serves us well.
3. Common Sense...like coming inside out of the rain is a general consensus...OK?

1. I'll be happy to die to preserve the liberty of Americans.

2. Point a gun at me and I will no longer respect your natural rights. Period.

3. You still have not offered an alternate definition of common sense.

davepool
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
"3. Common Sense...like coming inside out of the rain is a general consensus...OK? "

I love to play in the rain ( doesn't happen that often out here ) so in that case , i lack common sense :)

Warthogg
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM

The "if it saves one person it's worth it" people remained cowering in the east. The 'screw that shit' people settled the west and completed the creation of a great country.

In today's USA you can see the "if it saves one life it's worth it" people in the ADT and other alarm company ads. These are people still cowering and depending on ADT to send help !!;)

Wart

PROBASCO
06-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Merriam-Webster Online defines common sense as beliefs or propositions that most people consider prudent and of sound judgment, without reliance on esoteric knowledge or study or research, but based upon what they see as knowledge held by people "in common". Thus "common sense" (in this view) equates to the knowledge and experience which most people already have, or which the person using the term believes that they do or should have.

According to Cambridge Dictionary, the phrase is good sense and sound judgment in practical matters ("the basic level of practical knowledge and judgment that we all need to help us live in a reasonable and safe way"

both definitions rely on "sound judgement" Most people act on instinct or on physical/emotional desires. Instinct can save your life whereas desire can cause you to loose it.

Either/or, you have to think to have common sense... some people just don't use their grey matter well.

RTBArms1603
06-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Merriam-Webster Online defines common sense as beliefs or propositions that most people consider prudent and of sound judgment, without reliance on esoteric knowledge or study or research, but based upon what they see as knowledge held by people "in common". Thus "common sense" (in this view) equates to the knowledge and experience which most people already have, or which the person using the term believes that they do or should have.

According to Cambridge Dictionary, the phrase is good sense and sound judgment in practical matters ("the basic level of practical knowledge and judgment that we all need to help us live in a reasonable and safe way"

both definitions rely on "sound judgement" Most people act on instinct or on physical/emotional desires. Instinct can save your life whereas desire can cause you to loose it.

Either/or, you have to think to have common sense... some people just don't use their grey matter well.

Thank you.

And I don't think sound judgement is a geographical trait. No matter how much some would like it to be.

FunkyPertwee...Alternate Definition? Never heard the term. Sounds like a Politically Correct Strategy. Search 'til you find something that fits your agenda.
I think sound judgement covers the intent of my comment. (See above Quote for Official Definition)

Obviously the "saves one person" statement is a Hot Button for some. But when I refer to it, I tend to think of it being one of my Family that is saved.
To me then, it's worth it.

Joey
06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
What "common sense" used to believe:

Earth is flat.
Sun goes round the earth.
God, who looks like Albus Dumbledore, lives in the sky.
If a tile falls from a roof and hits you on the head, it's a sign of God -- Albus Dumbledore -- being angry with you for being an immoral person.
A woman thrown into a village pond who floats is a witch.
Disease is caused by "bad vapours."
Working class people, and menstruating women, can't be allowed the vote because they're too stupid/mad.

RTBArms1603
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Earth is flat.
Sun goes round the earth.
God, who looks like Albus Dumbledore, lives in the sky.
If a tile falls from a roof and hits you on the head, it's a sign of God -- Albus Dumbledore -- being angry with you for being an immoral person.
A woman thrown into a village pond who floats is a witch.
Disease is caused by "bad vapours."
Working class people, and menstruating women, can't be allowed the vote because they're too stupid/mad.

Now we're in a Time Machine going backwards <LMAO>

FunkyPertwee
06-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you.

And I don't think sound judgement is a geographical trait. No matter how much some would like it to be.

FunkyPertwee...Alternate Definition? Never heard the term. Sounds like a Politically Correct Strategy. Search 'til you find something that fits your agenda.
I think sound judgement covers the intent of my comment. (See above Quote for Official Definition)

Obviously the "saves one person" statement is a Hot Button for some. But when I refer to it, I tend to think of it being one of my Family that is saved.
To me then, it's worth it.

You must have misunderstood me.

Alternate definition means exactly what it sounds like. You disagreed with my definition, so now show me yours. You never did, and now your agreeing with the Merriam-Webster definition that lines up with the explanation I gave earlier.

And I'm sorry your so willing to give up the freedom of 300 million Americans to save a single member of your family. Maybe one day you can gain some conviction.

RTBArms1603
06-05-2011, 12:32 PM
You must have misunderstood me.

Alternate definition means exactly what it sounds like. You disagreed with my definition, so now show me yours. You never did, and now your agreeing with the Merriam-Webster definition that lines up with the explanation I gave earlier.

And I'm sorry your so willing to give up the freedom of 300 million Americans to save a single member of your family. Maybe one day you can gain some conviction.

I do agree with the MW definition. Sound judgment equals common sense. Frontal Lobe decisions are based upon personal prior experience...not consensus.

What Freedoms are being given up?
The Right to bring a bomb or weapon on an airplane to do harm? Ask NYC about that.
The Right to pump 5 more rounds into an incapacitated Robber?

Where does conviction enter into the above Rights you want?

FunkyPertwee
06-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I do agree with the MW definition. Sound judgment equals common sense. Frontal Lobe decisions are based upon personal prior experience...not consensus.

What Freedoms are being given up?
The Right to bring a bomb or weapon on an airplane to do harm? Ask NYC about that.

Where does conviction enter into the above Rights you want?

I don't understand why you don't see general consensus in this definition. I thought "most people" and "held by people in common" made it kind of obvious.

Merriam-Webster Online defines common sense as beliefs or propositions that most people consider prudent and of sound judgment, without reliance on esoteric knowledge or study or research, but based upon what they see as knowledge held by people "in common".

Are you suggesting that 911 was the cause of too many rights? Box cutters are not weapons. If you want to know how to deal with airline hijackers, ask the passengers of United Airlines Flight 93.

Yes. Absolutely. Once you point a gun at me I will no longer respect your natural rights. I may continue to follow the law, but I won't be respecting that person's rights voluntarily.

RTBArms1603
06-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't understand why you don't see general consensus in this definition. I thought "most people" and "held by people in common" made it kind of obvious.

Are you suggesting that 911 was the cause of too many rights? Box cutters are not weapons. If you want to know how to deal with airline hijackers, ask the passengers of United Airlines Flight 93.

Yes. Absolutely. Once you point a gun at me I will no longer respect your natural rights. I may continue to follow the law, but I won't be respecting that person's rights voluntarily.

In my world, Common Sense is many people arriving at the same conclusion separately thru personal experience ( i.e. Frontal Lobe activity ). Not one is concerned with what others are thinking, just what effect it will have upon themselves.
Protecting Liberty and making it safe to fly are obviously two separate issues.
I would also give my Life for this Country...and my Family. Giving it needlessly is stupid. If increased Security will prevent a tragedy, I'm for it.
The Hero's of Flight 93 were forced into a situation where they had to act. They did and everyone on board died. Increased Security including
no boxcutters is intended to be a proactive measure, not the reactive measure those Hero's found themselves in.
Again, I'm asking you what Freedoms you are giving up?
as far as the Robber, now you say you will follow the Law. I now agree with you.

Schuetzenman
06-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Well what do you know, they got one of em right!

Just kidding, lighten up.

FunkyPertwee
06-05-2011, 04:15 PM
In my world, Common Sense is many people arriving at the same conclusion separately thru personal experience ( i.e. Frontal Lobe activity ). Not one is concerned with what others are thinking, just what effect it will have upon themselves.
Protecting Liberty and making it safe to fly are obviously two separate issues.
I would also give my Life for this Country...and my Family. Giving it needlessly is stupid. If increased Security will prevent a tragedy, I'm for it.
The Hero's of Flight 93 were forced into a situation where they had to act. They did and everyone on board died. Increased Security including
no boxcutters is intended to be a proactive measure, not the reactive measure those Hero's found themselves in.
Again, I'm asking you what Freedoms you are giving up?
as far as the Robber, now you say you will follow the Law. I now agree with you.

Your view of common sense in this post seems to be correct. However, you must consider that the individual who commonly come to the same conclusions have a similar social background which leads to those conclusions. Its not the same as instinct. I have a problem with the use of the phrase "common sense" when people use it to suggest that any other conclusion besides their own would be insane.

As far as air liner security goes, your giving up authority over your own body when you allow yourself to be subjected to "pat downs". I've gone through them outside of the airport, and I understand its your decision over how much your going to let yourself be subjected to, but to say that because you support increased security that its not really a right being given up is simply incorrect. You may support the sacrifice of certain freedoms for security, but that support doesn't redefine those things as not being rights. If you let a man touch your balls in exchange for increased security, you allowed yourself to be subjected whether you believe it was worth it or not.

I still don't think you really agree with me on the robber. I'll follow the law because of the threat of the state punishing me, not because I have respect for that individual's life. That being said, from a spiritual perspective I would still be committing murder in my heart, but as I said earlier, I have no respect for a human life which has no respect for human life. When that person points a gun at me they are dehumanizing both of us, and I no longer respect that person's humanity.

Oswald Bastable
06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
3. God, who looks like Albus Dumbledore, lives in the sky.

You forgot, "and speaks with James Mason's voice." :)

RTBArms1603
06-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Your view of common sense in this post seems to be correct. However, you must consider that the individual who commonly come to the same conclusions have a similar social background which leads to those conclusions. Its not the same as instinct. I have a problem with the use of the phrase "common sense" when people use it to suggest that any other conclusion besides their own would be insane.

As far as air liner security goes, your giving up authority over your own body when you allow yourself to be subjected to "pat downs". I've gone through them outside of the airport, and I understand its your decision over how much your going to let yourself be subjected to, but to say that because you support increased security that its not really a right being given up is simply incorrect. You may support the sacrifice of certain freedoms for security, but that support doesn't redefine those things as not being rights. If you let a man touch your balls in exchange for increased security, you allowed yourself to be subjected whether you believe it was worth it or not.

I still don't think you really agree with me on the robber. I'll follow the law because of the threat of the state punishing me, not because I have respect for that individual's life. That being said, from a spiritual perspective I would still be committing murder in my heart, but as I said earlier, I have no respect for a human life which has no respect for human life. When that person points a gun at me they are dehumanizing both of us, and I no longer respect that person's humanity.

Social background will have no effect on whether or not any person jumps off a cliff. Any sane person would not as they know they would die.
I do not take the view that disimilar decisions to mine are wrong. Whatever decision you make, you find out soon enough whether it was right or wrong.
Like if I was having my balls touched during a body search...I would NOT fly again. That also implies the ability to learn and build common sense in my world.
As far as the Robber goes, I do think he should stand trial for his part in the Robbery...as I remember, he was Unarmed. The rabbit who ran had the gun.
And if I was involved in a righteous shooting, I hope I would not be misidentified as the Perp and judged by your Standards. But that's right, you did say
you would follow the Law. Hopefully all will.
We're closer in opinion than you think. I think I just set you off with that phrase "common Sense". Didn't mean to.

FunkyPertwee
06-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Social background will have no effect on whether or not any person jumps off a cliff. Any sane person would not as they know they would die.
I do not take the view that disimilar decisions to mine are wrong. Whatever decision you make, you find out soon enough whether it was right or wrong.
Like if I was having my balls touched during a body search...I would NOT fly again. That also implies the ability to learn and build common sense in my world.
As far as the Robber goes, I do think he should stand trial for his part in the Robbery...as I remember, he was Unarmed. The rabbit who ran had the gun.
And if I was involved in a righteous shooting, I hope I would not be misidentified as the Perp and judged by your Standards. But that's right, you did say
you would follow the Law. Hopefully all will.
We're closer in opinion than you think. I think I just set you off with that phrase "common Sense". Didn't mean to.

Don't worry about it man. Civil debate is how we both learn.

And most of us here are not stone cold killers, even if our personal philosophies allow for it. I can't imagine killing (or even hurting) someone unless I knew they were the one. I'm not John Rambo, I just take having my life endangered very seriously.