PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Passes Far-Reaching Anti-Immigrant Bill

LAGC
06-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Alabama has passed a sweeping bill to crack down on illegal immigrants that both supporters and opponents call the toughest of its kind in the country, going well beyond a law Arizona passed last year that caused a furor there.

The measure was passed by large margins in the Alabama Senate and the House, both Republican-controlled, in votes on Thursday. Governor Robert Bentley, a Republican, is expected to sign the bill into law.

“Alabama is now the new No. 1 state for immigration enforcement,” said Kris Kobach, a constitutional lawyer who is secretary of state in Kansas. He has helped write many state bills to curtail illegal immigration, including Alabama’s.

“This bill invites discrimination into every aspect of the lives of people in Alabama,” said Cecillia Wang, director of the immigrants’ rights project of the American Civil Liberties Union, which has brought legal challenges against several state immigration-control laws. Calling Alabama’s bill “outrageous and blatantly unconstitutional,” Ms. Wang said, “We will take action if the governor signs it.”

The Alabama bill includes a provision similar to one that stirred controversy in Arizona, authorizing state and local police officers to ask about the immigration status of anyone they stop based on a “reasonable suspicion” the person is an illegal immigrant. Federal courts have suspended most of that Arizona law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/04/us/04immig.html

Guess these Republicans don't care how many millions of dollars it costs to fight a losing battle in Federal court, they want to be able to assert their "right" to discriminate against Hispanics by making them "show their papers" to prove they are citizens whenever they happen to have any contact with police.

I thought this fascist bullshit was behind us when the Nazis were defeated? Some people just want to re-live history I guess...

Focused Gunfire
06-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I will wait to pass judgment until I, or someone I can trust reads over the law in question. I remember back during the Arizona debacle how overblown it became because some politically motivated groups started weaving campfire ghost stories about grandpa being arrested while trying to buy his grandson some ice cream. I do not trust the state, or the other group to tell me the full truth.

mustangpd
06-04-2011, 11:26 AM
What do you have against the state wanting to enforce the law. Hell the feds don't want to.

romak10/63UF
06-04-2011, 02:41 PM
well we would not have this %^cking problem if America would secure our southern boarders... but what about our Northern Boarders .. Canada... ? :laugh:

Warthogg
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
well we would not have this %^cking problem if America would secure our southern boarders... but what about our Northern Boarders .. Canada... ? :laugh:

We cannot secure our borders. WE COULD HAVE A GOOD GUEST WORKER PROGRAM BUT CONGRESS DOES NOT WANT ANYTHING SO SANE.

Wart

alismith
06-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Maybe Alabama could countersue the Federal Gov't. for NOT enforcing the immigration laws it has on the books. That would help offset the lawsuits filed against them by the ACLU.

davepool
06-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Alabama Passes Far-Reaching Anti-illegal Immigrant Bill.

Fixed.

I would truly be amazed if Alabama pulls this off, feds ain't gonna let it happen

El Laton Caliente
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/04/us/04immig.html

Guess these Republicans don't care how many millions of dollars it costs to fight a losing battle in Federal court, they want to be able to assert their "right" to discriminate against Hispanics by making them "show their papers" to prove they are citizens whenever they happen to have any contact with police.

I thought this fascist bullshit was behind us when the Nazis were defeated? Some people just want to re-live history I guess...

We are the most lenient country on the planet. NO OTHER country allows for anchor babies, period. Mexco has ZERO rights for illegal aliens; including the right to life. Mexico's enforcement officers can and do shoot on sight if they try to evade arrest. Mexico has zero tollerence for illegals. We should not either, they are knowingly criminal... like you.

El Laton Caliente
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
We cannot secure our borders. WE COULD HAVE A GOOD GUEST WORKER PROGRAM BUT CONGRESS DOES NOT WANT ANYTHING SO SANE.

Wart

Another steaming pile...

Sidartha
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Now that you mention it. I wonder if Alabama has loser pays laws.

Sidartha
06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
alismith

Maybe Alabama could countersue the Federal Gov't. for NOT enforcing the immigration laws it has on the books. That would help offset the lawsuits filed against them by the ACLU.

Now that you mention it. I wonder if Alabama has loser pays laws.

bovver
06-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Being that Im in Alabama I feel its my duty to assure everyone here that this state will NOT do a damn thing to ILLEGAL aliens.
This state only has 3 ICE officers that drive around working in this state.
ILLEGAL aliens have NOTHING to worry about.
This is a joke and the state does NOT want to get serious with this,smoke and mirrors.

davepool
06-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Being that Im in Alabama I feel its my duty to assure everyone here that this state will NOT do a damn thing to ILLEGAL aliens.
This state only has 3 ICE officers that drive around working in this state.
ILLEGAL aliens have NOTHING to worry about.
This is a joke and the state does NOT want to get serious with this,smoke and mirrors.

Yep.

This shit has happened in arizona every election cycle for 20 some years. A lot of huffing and puffing,we'll do this, we'll do that, blah,blah, blah, and a year after the election all is forgotten and it's business as usual. Close your eyes and pretend there is no problem.

Trust me fellas, nothing will EVER be done to stop the flow of cheap labor, damn the social consequences of a culture that will not assimilate and whose children are being taught in public schools that america stole thier country.

old Grump
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
The passing of the Alabama immigration bill drew flak from the American Civil Liberties Union which has been a stalwart opponent of similar legislation on immigration.

“The bill invites discrimination into every aspect of the lives of people in Alabama,” said ACLU director of the immigrants’ rights project Cecilia Wang, who described the bill as “outrageous and blatantly unconstitutional.”

What made the Alabama immigration bill tougher than the one passed by Arizona are prohibitions on higher education and renting property.

According to the bill, illegal immigrants are barred from enrolling in public colleges beyond high school and encourages institutions to know the immigration status of all students. It also made it a crime to knowingly rent property or transport an illegal immigrant.
Also, all employers in Alabama must use the E-Verify federal system to check the immigration status of workers. All immigrants in the state must carry a document as proof of legal status.
ACLU does not like it so I like it already. Please show this old country boy anything listed here that is unfair or unconstitutional.

AKTexas
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
I say we build a wall on the US/Canada border and pay the Mexicans to build it.

JTHunter
06-04-2011, 10:45 PM

+1000

1 Patriot-of-many
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
There;s nothing fascist about enforcing immigration law. A country without control of it's borders is NO COUNTRY.

coppertales
06-05-2011, 08:21 PM
and all of the other third world shithole trash too. All those illegals are turning parts of this country into shitholes like the countries they came from............chris3:censored::censored::censore d::censored: