PDA

View Full Version : WARNING for Sun Worshipers GRAPHIC PICS ADDED

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 07:13 AM
I am posting this for everyone who may work/play in the sun.
The time is here for the dedicated use of sun screen or cover ups.
Some of you younger guys here may think you're bullet proof, but believe me, this can happen to anyone who is exposed to the sun. Please heed my words to lessen the chance of future pain and suffering.

As many of you may or may not know, I have had a history of skin cancer caused by sun exposure in my younger and later years of life. I was a Navy beach brat in the Caribbean for 4 yrs. and worked construction for 25 yrs. in the sun. Sun screen was not available back then and I am paying the price today.

I had major surgery in 2009 to remove a patch of Basal cell carcinoma on my face. It resulted in surgeons having to remove 80 percent of the right side of my face from the ear to my mouth and down to my chin. The cancer had invaded my facial nerves and saliva gland. It took 7 hrs. of surgery to rid the cancer from my nerves and cut out a part of my saliva gland and reconstruct my face, I am now cancer free there.

Yesterday I had surgery again at Vanderbilt Hospital to remove Basal cell from the right side of my nose. This surgery took 5.5 hrs. A large portion of my nose had to be removed and reconstructed. Today I look like I have been in a major bar brawl. A black eye and is swollen shut. Good news is all the cancer was removed and verified by the MOHS procedure.

Take precautions, please. Click and read the info in the links below.

http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/dermatology/23963
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000824.htm

copterdoctor
06-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Everybody PLEASE pay attention to what slamfire51 is telling you. Melanoma from sun exposure killed my father.

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Everybody PLEASE pay attention to what slamfire51 is telling you. Melanoma from sun exposure killed my father.

I am truly sorry to hear about your Dad.
This stuff is nothing to snub your nose at.

5.56NATO
06-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Make sure you give your body the materials and rest it needs to repair itself with and boost your immune system.

videodon
06-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Scary stuff for sure. Thanks Slammy...hang in there.
:)

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I need to post the pics of the results right after the 2009 surgery, it would make many take heed.
No one wants to go through what I did.

Zoff12
06-07-2011, 08:28 AM
I may be wrong and have never verified this but if you're one of these people, like me, who burn EVERY time you go out for any period of time in the sun, you are at greater risk. If I spend more than an hour in the sun w/o sunscreen, I burn even if I have a light tan (I never get dark). I (and my family) have a small farm so I spend most of my days off doing something in the sun so I go through gallons of SPF50 and still can tell I was out there at the end of the day. Guess that''s what I get for having a Nordic complexion.

Good warning, Slams!!!!!

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I may be wrong and have never verified this but if you're one of these people, like me, who burn EVERY time you go out for any period of time in the sun, you are at greater risk. If I spend more than an hour in the sun w/o sunscreen, I burn even if I have a light tan (I never get dark). I (and my family) have a small farm so I spend most of my days off doing something in the sun so I go through gallons of SPF50 and still can tell I was out there at the end of the day. Guess that''s what I get for having a Nordic complexion.

Good warning, Slams!!!!!

You are correct. Fair complected, blue/green eyes, blond or red haired people are at greater risk.
I am blond, have green eyes, and somewhat fair complected but tan very well.
We are the cursed, but not to say that dark skinned and dark haired are not at risk.

Solidus-snake
06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I have dark eyes, dark hair, and tan pretty easy. I still do heed your warning, and have first hand experience with skin cancer with a relative whos skin is akin to leather and has to go to the doctor very often for treatment.

The biggest pusher for me to oil up is my tats tho XD

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I decided to help get my point across to those who don't take sun exposure seriously.

This is me one day after surgery in 2009. Bandages were removed to clean and re-dress area.
As you can see in the pics, after the tissue from my face was removed, skin from my shoulder was STRETCHED forward and sewn to my upper cheek. It's amazing how much the human skin can be stretched.
My ear was removed to get to the saliva gland to remove the cancer. I have no feeling in the ear lobe, which is a weird feeling.
Drain tubes were put in the shoulder to drain excess fluids. My face was really swollen in the pics. It took about 3-4 months to heal completely.
Today, the only evidence of the surgery is a fine suture scar.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/frankenstein001-1.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/03.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/04.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/01.jpg

FunkyPertwee
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow. I feel like an idiot everytime I get burned. about 4 years ago they found melanoma in my neck and cut it out, thankfully only leaving a 4 inch or so scar. Doc said I was very high risk of skin cancer and I've still gotten burned since then. Hell I was only 21 or so when they found melanoma, so I'm really not looking forward to my 50's.

Thank you for the reminder Slamfire. I've got to start using sun screen even though its uncomfortable on my skin.

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
So you think if i use spf 30 an go out in the sun in mid day it will cause me to get mealnoma ?

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
So you think if i use spf 30 an go out in the sun in mid day it will cause me to get mealnoma ?

Sunscreen won't cause you to have melanoma, but in the mid-day summer sun, SPF 30 may not be enough protection, depending on your skin type.

The higher the #, the more protection.

5.56NATO
06-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Looks like it's healing well.

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Looks like it's healing well.

Oh, it's healed. The pics were from 2 years ago in 2009.

The operation I had yesterday is looking good as well. I just changed bandages. Looks like the Doc did an excellent job of reconstruction.

alismith
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I have a double whammy when it comes to the sun. I had red hair and then I went bald. Now, all I have up there is bare skin to catch the full rays of the sun. I had squamous cell melanoma and had to have a patch taken out of my head (leaving a nice dent) and had to have the top tip of my ear taken off.

Now, I wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts and a full brimmed hat when I'm out in the sun regardless of the season, or temp. It's a good thing heat doesn't bother me that much. If anyone asks why I wear the clothes I do, I tell them I have to have 100 SPF every time I go out in the sun.

Even when I go to FL, in the summer, to see my daughter, I never take shorts or short-sleeved shirts.

The sun, and cancer, aren't something one messes with too often and comes out a winner.

jjeez
06-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I am not light skinned and I was told I had Pre-cancerous melanoma 2 years ago. had a few chunks cut out.
I was told to get checked every 6 months as now my chances were very high, I didnt have any insurance for a while and havent gone back in 2 years. I just made an appointment for July..

Schuetzenman
06-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I worry about skin cancer. I am a fair skinned guy with brown hair originally. Freckles on arms and cheeks. I never really tan very dark, always look reddish when I did. I worked outdoors a lot during the summers when going to college. I never put anything on as really sunblock didn't exist then, just sun tan lotion and that made dirt stick to me and really didn't prevent burning.

I see Coppertone has 100+ SPF now on the market called Coppertone Sport. My wife has Lupus and she has to avoid the sun is how I know this.

In later years after college I did a lot of rifle shooting in competition but most of it was under a coverd firing line and I wore a hat with a bill on it to shade my face and eyes. I've never been a sun worshiper, lay out to get tan person. I find it boring as hell and last less than 15 minutes any time I tried it.

Lastly I hope you have a speedy recover and this doesn't keep you from the C&R Match.

Full Otto
06-07-2011, 07:27 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2606es8.jpg

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I worry about skin cancer. I am a fair skinned guy with brown hair originally. Freckles on arms and cheeks. I never really tan very dark, always look reddish when I did. I worked outdoors a lot during the summers when going to college. I never put anything on as really sunblock didn't exist then, just sun tan lotion and that made dirt stick to me and really didn't prevent burning.

I see Coppertone has 100+ SPF now on the market called Coppertone Sport. My wife has Lupus and she has to avoid the sun is how I know this.

In later years after college I did a lot of rifle shooting in competition but most of it was under a coverd firing line and I wore a hat with a bill on it to shade my face and eyes. I've never been a sun worshiper, lay out to get tan person. I find it boring as hell and last less than 15 minutes any time I tried it.

Lastly I hope you have a speedy recover and this doesn't keep you from the C&R Match.

Thanks Don.
I'm just not able to use a cheek weld until this thing heals.
I'll be looking for a 30 cal. stick with powder fouling. :laugh:

ltorlo64
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Right before I deployed about 6 years ago my wife found two new moles on my back that she did not remember, so she had me go to see the doctor on the ship. He took one look and said I needed to have them removed, when could I come down to have it done. We were about 2 days outside of San Diego, where we were going to spend one day before heading to the Persian Gulf. I told the doctor I would like to wait until we left San Diego in 3 days. The doctor looked at me and said "I meant, what time tomorrow can you come down to have these removed?" I can't remember the type of melanoma I had, but I remember the description. It was the fastest growing, most invasive form. The doctor told me it was the type of melanoma that causes the most deaths.

I have since had two other moles removed, one pre-cancerous the other benign. I have just went to yearly exams. Every dermatologist I have seen though, has given me their super secret office number so if I see another mole I can call and make an appointment to be seen in a day or two.

Glad you are doing better. My surgery was a pin prick compared to yours, and I didn't enjoy mine. Hope you get well quickly.

JTHunter
06-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Sunscreen won't cause you to have melanoma, but in the mid-day summer sun, SPF 30 may not be enough protection, depending on your skin type.

The higher the #, the more protection.

And, if you are the type of person who gets drenched from your own perspiration in the summer, you need to re-apply about every two hours!

Good warning Slam. Get well soon!

slamfire51
06-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm glad to see most are concerned enough to have suspicious spots checked out. It can very well be a life saver.
Luckily all mine have been benign.

Justin
06-08-2011, 12:13 AM
It's unreal how simply being outside in the sun, can kill you. Thanks for the warning, I will remember to wear sunscreen now.

1 Patriot-of-many
06-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Holy crap. Did not know. Hope you feel better Slamfire. Prayers are with you.

slamfire51
06-08-2011, 06:27 AM
It's unreal how simply being outside in the sun, can kill you. Thanks for the warning, I will remember to wear sunscreen now.

The sun can kill in multiple ways, and this is a very subtle way.

Holy crap. Did not know. Hope you feel better Slamfire. Prayers are with you.

Thanks 1PoM.
The pain meds are working fine. :biggrin:

Full Otto
06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm glad to see most are concerned enough to have suspicious spots checked out. It can very well be a life saver.
Luckily all mine have been benign.

Well just in case my earlier post was taken as making light of this I apologize. Looks pretty nasty but you did say the pictures were old and you recovered, I meant no disrespect.
Actually my back is so covered it looks like I've been swimming in tar. I used to do a lot of bike riding with my shirt off
I've been to the doctor and he suggested coming back to check on some of them from time to time.
I now have a concern about Lyme disease since my dog has come down with it. I have a call into him and if he wants me to come in I'll have him give my moles the once over.
Problem is I barely have health insurance as it is, and limited on my expenditures but as you say it can be way more costly not to have it checked out.
Glad it's going well for you even if you have to go through all that

slamfire51
06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Well just in case my earlier post was taken as making light of this I apologize. Looks pretty nasty but you did say the pictures were old and you recovered, I meant no disrespect.
Actually my back is so covered it looks like I've been swimming in tar. I used to do a lot of bike riding with my shirt off
I've been to the doctor and he suggested coming back to check on some of them from time to time.
I now have a concern about Lyme disease since my dog has come down with it. I have a call into him and if he wants me to come in I'll have him give my moles the once over.
Problem is I barely have health insurance as it is, and limited on my expenditures but as you say it can be way more costly not to have it checked out.
Glad it's going well for you even if you have to go through all that

Hey, I didn't take your post that way. As a matter of fact, I was trying to figure out what the 2nd pic was. No offense taken for sure.

There are places that help those who are under insured or no insurance. Most have connections with Drs. that specialize in what ever your problem is with little or no pay-outs to you. The Drs. donate their services and that is a God send to many who have little or no insurance. These services are NOT paid for by tax-payers as they rely on donations from private and public sources.
If you can't afford to have your back checked out, by all means do some research for places like this in your area.

Full Otto
06-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey, I didn't take your post that way. As a matter of fact, I was trying to figure out what the 2nd pic was. No offense taken for sure.

OK cool I know I've been told I get a little "obtuse" at times
The pic was cropped from yours. The ear just reminded me of a little guy with a beard and the avatar was the easiest to grab.
I just like to think a little humor helps the mend. I hope Old Grump isn't pissed

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z70w8m.jpg

I did call around for some free screening services but it all came back down to going to the doctor. He's the old school kind and talks straight so I like him.
Indiana does have a service called "HIP" insurance but you have to have been out of insurance for at least 6 months to be considered. Hopefully it won't come to that. In the mean time I think I will work at getting in there this thread has got me thinking

slamfire51
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
OK cool I know I've been told I get a little "obtuse" at times
The pic was cropped from yours. The ear just reminded me of a little guy with a beard and the avatar was the easiest to grab.
I just like to think a little humor helps the mend. I hope Old Grump isn't pissed

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z70w8m.jpg

I did call around for some free screening services but it all came back down to going to the doctor. He's the old school kind and talks straight so I like him.
Indiana does have a service called "HIP" insurance but you have to have been out of insurance for at least 6 months to be considered. Hopefully it won't come to that. In the mean time I think I will work at getting in there this thread has got me thinking

LOL.
Now that clarified the pic on the right, I see what you are referring to.
Humor never hurts.

At least get a biopsy. Then you will know what to expect.

O.S.O.K.
06-16-2011, 08:28 AM
OIC - glad it's going well - they did a really nice job on your previous surgery. Its good that you've hooked up with an doc that knows what he/she is doing. That was an extensive surgery - not evident by the pictures - all of the work underneath.

I am on the yearly cycle to go into the dermatologist now too.

Mine was a squemous cell carcinoma - they took a plug out and then went back again because the biopsy showed cancer cells at the bottom of the plug... but it's on my back.

That felt like a pimple that wouldn't go away - and kept getting bigger... and bigger.

I just went back a couple weeks ago to have em check another spot.

I'm kinda paranoid now - as is the wife -she called and made the appointment.

I also have a sun-exposure background - 10 years as a competive swimmer - spent all my sumers as a child at the local swim club and then worked as a lifegard and pool manager - that last was my college job.

My Dad has had all kinds of skin lesions removed - his ears look a little chewed on...

The good news with all of this though is that it is "easily" treated if you get it early. But the longer you wait (or in most cases, the longer you ignore a spot) the bigger the deal it becomes...

old Grump
06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2606es8.jpgTaint funny McGee, Lots of skin cancer in my family and the doctor is always screaming at my penchant for taking my shirt off to play in the sunshine. I have some rough spots and I have cataracts, dodged the bullet so far but I have a feeling my exam in July isn't going to come out the way I want it too.

Full Otto
06-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Well I sincerely hope you dodge it again.

jt1793
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
For those of you that have or have had skin cancer, how many times (by your own estimation) until your diagnosis do you recall getting sunburned to the point that there was skin pealing/flaking? Just curious (for those that feel like sharing that info)...

old Grump
06-17-2011, 02:51 PM
For those of you that have or have had skin cancer, how many times (by your own estimation) until your diagnosis do you recall getting sunburned to the point that there was skin pealing/flaking? Just curious (for those that feel like sharing that info)...Over 60 times and that is a very conservative guestimate. Light haired, blue eyed fair skin people should not be fishermen, desert rats or drive tractors 12 hours a day with no shirt on. To late to change that now, whats done is done.

slamfire51
06-17-2011, 03:39 PM
For those of you that have or have had skin cancer, how many times (by your own estimation) until your diagnosis do you recall getting sunburned to the point that there was skin pealing/flaking? Just curious (for those that feel like sharing that info)...

I've gotten burned from the time I was 5 in Puerto Rico until I was 45 when I quit construction work.
There are those 1st time outs in the Spring and Summer that most get burned, then a few times after that yearly.

But all my cancer is confined to the face and the top of my head. This is because your, mine, and everyone elses faces are exposed to the Sun every time you go outside.

My cancer showed up 3 yrs. ago.