PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Cover Rail

antijorge
06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I was thinking about getting this put on my rifle:

http://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Cover-Tri-RailL-Weaver-Scope/dp/B000G97OJ0

My dealer said that I might lose the sighting when I take it off to clean it. Any way around that? Do I just need to be caredul not to hit the sight when I'm taking it off?

I've got a red dot on my shotgun that I'm wanting to move over (I don't ever look through it on the shotgun...I've got a green laser on the shotgun that is all I need).

thanks

jorge

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I have heard good reviews on that item an might as well get the NCstar Red Dot sight to go along with that mount...

(AK)1000shots
06-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I've got a receiver cover rail with a 4x scope, and while it can get a little bumped when mounting/dismounting, if you're careful not to let the tail screws (by the cover release) move to much, you should be able to keep your zero.

that being said, I have a laser boresighter that I use just to get on paper every time I mount, then am ready to zero in finer. With a red dot, you should be good to go, as the MOA of the standard red dot is a bit wider than the slight shift. Laser boresighters are pretty cheap, (I think my Bushnell one was $25), and can get you ballpark.

Also... it's an AK. Do you really need to clean it that often? Hehe...

ghostdog
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Avoid that junk like the plague. If your rifle has the side rail already built into it add a slide on rail mount. If you built yours then add a rail mount that uses rivets or a screw like this.

http://www.collectorssourcedfw.com/mpk-2.html

You are going to want to drill only 1 hole and tighten it just enough so it can move. Attach your scope on the mount and put your gun in a vise. Make sure your scope is set to the middle adjustment on both turrets.

Use a laser bore sight to line up your mount with the dot.

Once you have it lined up perfect clamp it with a c-clamp and mark the last two holes. Remove the clamp/mount and drill the remaining holes.

If you just dive in and drill wherever you are going to be fighting your vertical adjustments because you aren't even close to the center of the bore.

binky59
09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Gees I have a couple of those tri rail cover mounts that I never used, I put a side mount on one AK, and a berl style mount that mounts in the sight
block and the stock tang on the other AK. with the berl top tri rail I leveled the rail then drilled out the tang screw hole, I epoxied a nutsert in the hole and
use a 3/4" 10/32 machine screw with locktight. Both hold zero very well. How about a pistol red dot on a gas tube rail, you will get the same sight picture
as you would with a pistol.

Schuetzenman
09-21-2011, 06:16 PM
I was thinking about getting this put on my rifle:

http://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Cover-Tri-RailL-Weaver-Scope/dp/B000G97OJ0

My dealer said that I might lose the sighting when I take it off to clean it. Any way around that? Do I just need to be caredul not to hit the sight when I'm taking it off?

I've got a red dot on my shotgun that I'm wanting to move over (I don't ever look through it on the shotgun...I've got a green laser on the shotgun that is all I need).

thanks

jorge

IMO that top cover is crap. They never lock down securely enough to hold zero or repeat once removed and replaced from cleaning.

Hooof_arted
11-27-2011, 05:47 AM
If your looking to add optics to the dust
Cover portion of your ak instead of way
Out on upper rail, I suggest TWS gen 2
Ak rail. Sits lower and is of higher quality.
Not cheap @130+$