PDA

View Full Version : Tapco Folding Stock

antijorge
06-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Has anyone put this guy on their rifle?

http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Folding-Stock-Rifle-System/dp/B002WHQ6JI/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1307472451&sr=1-5

I am getting one put on my Chinese Norinco.

I didn't like the thumb hole wooden stock.

Do you like it? And do you ever shoot the thing folded up? I just thought it was cool. And good for storage. The nhm-91 I'm getting has the long barrel and will be the longest thing in my collection.

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I had one for my sar1 it seens to be a little longer than the stock buttstock so if your a tall man above 5,10 i would think you would be alright with the stock... you might want to get the rubber recoil pad for the stock as well...

antijorge
06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I will look into that. I can't remember if it had the rubber on it or now. I don't think it did.

imanaknut
06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
In your continued education into the wonderful world of the AK/AKM (and I mean that with all true respect!) you will have to do a little fitting to get the Tapco stock to work in the Norinco unless it was originally designed for the Chinese rifle.

The Chinese used thicker metal in their AKM variants than the Europeans, so you will have to use a file on any stock not designed for the Chinese receiver.

And I bet you thought AKs were such simple weapons! :D

FunkyPertwee
06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a Norinco deserves better than some Tapco furniture?

(AK)1000shots
06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I've got that set on my WASR (came that way.) It's not bad, but you might want a butt pad if you've got soft shoulders.

Oh yeah, and I've fired it with the stock folded. It's a little tough to access the safety when it's folded, and the recoil is pretty hellish. But it looks badass.

antijorge
06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Any suggestions?

(AK)1000shots
06-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Any suggestions?

I like the way it looks on my WASR, but then, I'm a fan of the tactical looking firearms. It seems solid enough, and despite some of the "melting concerns" of the handguards, I put 150 rds through on this past Sunday, and while it seemed a bit warm to the touch, no melting occurred, and I like the weight reduction that a composite folding stock offers.

I think it's really just a matter of taste. My AKM is essentially all black, like the ones that Russian commandos used back in the 70's and 80's. If 150 rapid fire rounds doesn't melt the handguard, actual use (more like <1 mag) shouldn't put too much stress on it. If you like the way it looks, go for it. I got the WASR listed here:

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/century-arms-wasr-rifle-ri1205n-semi-auto-side-folding-polymer-stock-parkerized-finish-p-23394.html

Cosmetically, that's what I like. I do like the nice wood finish, but I have no doubt I'd gouge and scratch the crap out of it in no time, since I'm (as my wife says) "a bit rough around the edges."

Helen Keller
06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
screw that..

$65

you can get.
US PG/FCG and piston for that amount if you shop around and still keep the standard stock.

I had one of these I got for free and I wanted to vomit due to the cheesiness.

(AK)1000shots
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
screw that..

$65

you can get.
US PG/FCG and piston for that amount if you shop around and still keep the standard stock.

I had one of these I got for free and I wanted to vomit due to the cheesiness.

I agree about the pricing. ~$70 after shipping seems kinda steep. I wouldn't have paid that much for the parts, I only have them because that's how the rifle came.

squid0812
09-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Am I the only one who thinks a Norinco deserves better than some Tapco furniture?

We talking preban Norinco?

I put a Tapco side folder on my Bulgy. Cost me 44.00 and it's worked perfectly since i installed it. I have actually grown quite fond of it. I like the weight reduction and it has proven itself more tough then i originaly gave it credit for