PDA

View Full Version : NHM-91 Mags Need Dremmeling

antijorge
06-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Well, so I was picking out some mags for my Chinese Norinco and the mil spec high cap mags wouldn't snap into place. At closer look, we noticed that there was a little rivet holding down the release lever that wouldn't let the magazine all the way in. We inspected the magazine that came in the box and there was a little indention in the spot where the rivet head was. Hmm.

It's one of the things I thought was pretty standard on all AK's is that you could just grab any old magazine and it would fit. I guess not.

My dealer will be taking a dremmel tool to a couple of high cap mags.

Now I just hope these guys aren't going to shake loose when I start shooting.

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Did you get my last messedge ?

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Some ak47 magazines need a file to shave down the Nub that locks into the magazine latch... its not a big deal dremel a little test fit...

imanaknut
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Remove that rivet. It is only there to make George Bush the First happy because you could only install his baby loving 10 round mags and not the evil standard 30 rounder that usually is seen on that "evil looking weapon" known as the AKM.

That rivet does nothing to the integrity of the rifle, so remove the rivet instead of having to modify all your mags.

George Bush the First would be so mad with you, but go ahead and remove the rivet, perfectly legal.

antijorge
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I found this on another website:

http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1146683655

NHM-91 rifles came with a rivet where the rear tang of the magazine hits the receiver when the mag catch holds it in the rifle. I had to hold the mag catch lever back to get the picture. In the picture the arrow shows where I ground down the head of the rivet, it is the shiny spot.

The magazines that came with these rifles had the tang milled out to clear the rivet when it was inserted into the rifle. Here is a picture of a 5rd and 10rd mag that came with one of my rifles. Modified 30rd magazines also came with these rifles but most were removed from the box by dealers sorry bastards) for sale separate at a higher price than standard 30rd magazines.

The rivet was not required by law or any import rules it was just something that was done by the mfg. or importer. Removal of it breaks no laws or anything else. I have seen NHM-91 rifles new in the box with the rivet in tight, loose, installed but not riveted, and missing. This rivet has no function other than to prevent the use of regular AK magazines that are not milled out to clear it.

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
imanaknut am i missing somthing... was the NHM91 so brutially disfigured by Bush that it just does not look like a ak47? does anybody got pictures to show ? im kinda confused now...

antijorge
06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks. This is good news.

imanaknut
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
imanaknut am i missing somthing... was the NHM91 so brutially disfigured by Bush that it just does not look like a ak47? does anybody got pictures to show ? im kinda confused now...

I actually saw the George Bush the First tirade about how evil looking features of a weapon drove otherwise honest people to commit crimes. A jerk of the first order. He banned flash hiders, and any threaded muzzle that could hold one. He also banned bayo lugs, and did not like the pistol grip with separate buttstock, hense the "Bush-hole" stock as I like to call it.

What Bush the constitution wrecker didn't understand is that even after the firearms met his rules, they still functioned exactly the same. It was just that in his blurred blind eyes, they didn't look so evil.

Just compare the looks of the AKM from China known as the 56S and compare it to the NHMs or MAK-90s.

You will also notice that the early Bush Ban rifles still had threads on the barrels, but later ones did not. That way you couldn't just cut off the muzzle cover and install that evil flash hider.

Regardless, all of it very silly and very unconstitutional.

romak10/63UF
06-07-2011, 05:16 PM
WOW i see the rivet... that's uncalled for....

Solidus-snake
06-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Dude, I totally forgot to tell you this in the other thread. Just dremel that stupid rivet outta there and enjoy some high cap goodness. I did this with mine back when.

antijorge
06-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I asked my dealer to dremmel off the rivet. He's concerned about the 922r stuff, but it looks like the rivet won't count as a negative, right?

imanaknut
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
That rivet has nothing to do with parts count as rivets are not considered "parts" by ATF. The only reason that rivet was put there was to try to convince Bush the First that the rifle had to use special mags and therefore was an angelic looking weapon in his stupid eyes.

Remove the rivet! :D