PDA

View Full Version : What AR 15 complete lower?

Zeller
06-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I am looking at getting a spikes tactical upper but have little clue what complete lower would make a good mate for it. Whether its rra, stag or the spikes lower to accommodate it. This may seem like a loaded question, but I just can't decide on a complete lower. I've done a month or so of research but it all can be overwhelming.(you can spend years trying to learn all about this stuff) Any thoughts? My budget is $360 but there is room for flexibility.

stinker
06-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Lowers are pretty much all the same for the most part.
If you're set on getting a spikes upper then get a matching lower too.

Zeller
06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I see. Seems Logical enough. I just didn't know if there was a better option out there. I had heard that rock river arms had excellent triggers. Although in all they aren't as mil spec as spikes. Not that a mixed upper/lower is ideal. Reason for buying the two pieces separately is because I don't wanna drop 1000 dollars all in one swoop.

stinker
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Buy them separately.
Nothing saying you have to do it all at once.

Schuetzenman
06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
There is little difference on the whole. I've used Rock River, Stag and Double Star also DPMS.

In the case of DPMS I ordered an upper and lower and man were they tight fitting. I have to drive the rear pin in and out with a hammer and brass punch. This set I used on my AR match gun for High Power matches. Since it's that tight I figured it should be good for accuracy, it is.

Of the others my Double Star actually fits most of my uppers best. I don't have a Spikes upper nor do I have one of their lowers. IMO if I was getting a Spikes upper I'd want to match it with their lower. That's my 2 cents on it.

Oh and on triggers, miitary single stage triggers are what they are and none of them seem to be much better than another. However if you get a 2 stage match trigger of some sort, now you're talking. Expect to fork over close to $300 for the trigger group.

Zeller
06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok well this all seems pretty convincing. I guess I've been reading too much ar forums and "what's a top tier ar15" crap. I feel like everyone thinks they are An expert or perhaps work for colt. Maybe they are and do..haha but I'm pretty set on the spikes because it has excellent reviews and is priced within my means.

Schuetzenman
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok well this all seems pretty convincing. I guess I've been reading too much ar forums and "what's a top tier ar15" crap. I feel like everyone thinks they are An expert or perhaps work for colt. Maybe they are and do..haha but I'm pretty set on the spikes because it has excellent reviews and is priced within my means.

Yeah, espcially if you go to AR-15 dot com they will tell you what is good and that anything they deem not good is total crap. My take on it is that they are snobs in many cases and all about big names like LWRC. BTW CMMG AR receivers are also good if you can find a decent price on them. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Del-Ton receiver. Nearly picked a stripped one up over the weekend for $89. I do have a Del-Ton barreled upper and it performs fine for a 16" barrel.

kimberkid
06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
The last receiver I bought was off gunbroker ... marked Surplus Ammo & Arms its made by Aero Precision and seems like a great receiver, and stripped it was only $59.95. Shipping was $10 and transfer was $20 so it came in at $90.
The same company has complete lowers (without stock for $119.95)

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/234581000/234581957/pix098929827.jpg

I did end up putting a RRA 2-stage trigger in mine just because I had one in my parts box ... everything fits and functions great.

oops ... here's a link to aone of their auctions
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=234581957

Zeller
06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Yeah, espcially if you go to AR-15 dot com they will tell you what is good and that anything they deem not good is total crap. My take on it is that they are snobs in many cases and all about big names like LWRC. BTW CMMG AR receivers are also good if you can find a decent price on them. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Del-Ton receiver. Nearly picked a stripped one up over the weekend for $89. I do have a Del-Ton barreled upper and it performs fine for a 16" barrel.

Haha..i noticed that about quite a few of the ar forums. I will continue to do research but Its refreshing to hear from honest people on gunsnet unlike other forums.
Btw. Aimsurplus has stripped lowers for 80 dollars, not sure if that cheap but it doesnt seem shabby for a spikes.
I wish st.louis had a gunshow coming up Id like to scope out some parts.