PDA

View Full Version : The Meat Thread...Meat Preservation/Dehydration and Cooking

btcave
06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
I'd love to see more meat dressing/prepping/cooking/and preservation.

Post em up!

Making South African Biltong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2WTrNQAw0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxMvpTmuyco&feature=related

O.S.O.K.
06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Only type I've done personally is the grind it up, add soy sauce and some spices like garlic and black pepper and then roll out into a pan and put into a freezer. Once frozen, remove and cut into strips and place in the dehydrator or oven on 170 degrees.

Worked good and the ground meat is a lot easier on the teeth :)

Schuetzenman
06-08-2011, 09:26 PM
We haven't done it yet but it is possible to Can meats in a Pressure Canner. The wife and I just got one and ran off our first batch of canned food. It was Borscht or Beet soup to most people. We harvested the last of our Feb. planted beats. This is our second batch of Borscht, we ate all of the first batch. We got about 5 quarts.

Anyway, all kinds of meats can be pressure canned and they will keep for about a year on the shelf. Don't confuse a pressure cooker with a Pressure Canner.

O.S.O.K.
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Borscht reciped please. :D

O.S.O.K.
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
After seeing the above vids, I decided to give it a shot. I got a couple of old sirloin steaks out of the freezer and de-fatted them and followd the recipe. Cut thick pieces against the grain, wet with apple cider vinegar, salted with sea salt and applied black pepper and corriander. Is now sitting in the fridge for over-night marination/start. Tomorrow, I will hang it in my office - much to the chagrin of my wife :lool:

She started telling me to do it in the oven and I told her to get her own project :)

She's not sure about raw meat hanging in the house :laugh:

I've never used corriander before - other than as a mix with other peppercorns in a grinder. Smells good...

btcave
06-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I still have yet to try it. Can't wait for your review! Need some JERKY recipes.

Schuetzenman
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Borscht reciped please. :D

It's pretty simple; Beats with the tops cut off, maybe 1/2 inch of stems still on and most of the root cut off. Because you're keeping the fluid, the beats need to be dirt free. We brush them with a stiff bristle brush under water to make sure all the soil is off. You boil them for about 20 minutes then fish out the beats when a fork goes in them easily. Remove the stems and root with a knife cut across the top and bottom. Then rub the skin with your thumb and it should flake up and come off easily. Chop beats into 1/4 to 3/8ths cubes more or less and put back in the water. 2 cups of shreaded cabbage raw. One large onion cut into large diced pieces 1 or 2 bayleafs depending on the batch size. 1 tbsp. of salt. You can salt it more when it's finished if it's not salted to taste. 2 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. vinegar. 3 to 5 stems of dill weed. You can use chopped dried dill weed, 1 tbsp if you don't have fresh. Lastly 2 tbsp. of corn starch dissolved in 1/2 cup water as a thickening agent. You don't want really thick Borscht, but it should be just a bit thicker than water.

Some recipes say you can fish out the onion, but we like to leave it in so that's why we dice it. If you just want the onion for flavor, cut it in large chunks that are easier to remove. The dill weed is removed after cooking but if you use the ground dried it stays in. Additional sugar or vinegar can be added to suite your taste after it is all cooked at a low boil for 10 minutes. It should be sligtly sweet with a tartness.

The color from beats can control blood pressure for up to 25 hours. About 16 ozs. of the soup fluid is sufficient. It can also turn your urine reddish and can also make your poop a bit red and as a result the toilet water red / pink. I also read that drinking 1/2 liter of beet juice which the soup is also proved to allow longer endurance in physical activities. A study was done on bicyclists. They were able to go 20% longer before exhaustion.

O.S.O.K.
06-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks!

btcave
06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
+1 Danke Schutz!

Mark Ducati
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I once read survival website where they had illustrations and pictures where a skinned and cleaned deer carcass was hung in the trees... but it was hung like 12 ft. in the air. Their reasoning was to get the deer to hang at an elevation where the black flies would be the predominant fly to swarm over the carcass whereas down load there would be less desireable flying insects landing on the carcass and up too high, there were no flies.

The article described how the meat would start to dehydrate on the surface, the black flies feeding on the meat secreted some kind of enzyme that helped to preserve the meat creating a "crust" on the surface... the point of the article was that by hanging it in such a way, a survivor could revisit the kill, slice off the crust to expose fresh untainted meat to harvest for a meal... the cycle starts again, dehydration of the exposed area, black flies help create a crust... and the survivor could live off the kill for several weeks.

Seems to me like the meat would spoil or be infested with maggots... but they didn't say anything about this.

Anyone heard of this before?

Izzy
07-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I once read survival website where they had illustrations and pictures where a skinned and cleaned deer carcass was hung in the trees... but it was hung like 12 ft. in the air. Their reasoning was to get the deer to hang at an elevation where the black flies would be the predominant fly to swarm over the carcass whereas down load there would be less desireable flying insects landing on the carcass and up too high, there were no flies.

The article described how the meat would start to dehydrate on the surface, the black flies feeding on the meat secreted some kind of enzyme that helped to preserve the meat creating a "crust" on the surface... the point of the article was that by hanging it in such a way, a survivor could revisit the kill, slice off the crust to expose fresh untainted meat to harvest for a meal... the cycle starts again, dehydration of the exposed area, black flies help create a crust... and the survivor could live off the kill for several weeks.

Seems to me like the meat would spoil or be infested with maggots... but they didn't say anything about this.

Anyone heard of this before?

Many diffrent kinds of Carnivores can climb 12ft.

Black flies feed off Scat ( poop) and black flies carry all sorts of bad "bugs" you would not do well with in a survival situation. Trust me flies are more deadly than some so called "experts" think...can give you Giardia or other diherea "runs" and parasites you never even dreamed about. Fecal to Oral route for dinner, eh?

Sounds like dis-info to me.

Why not just dry in the sun like the Amro-Indians with a watchful eye on your kill?

Izzy
07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Btcave,

Thank you, this vid answers my questions on making Bultong ( bull toung) in a dehyrator. My wife is from S. Africa, and we crave this stuff..it's more addictive than the AK series!:thumbspbig: