PDA

View Full Version : Survival Forum: Anybody interested in one?

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 01:55 AM
We started a Survival Forum at our temp place just before Gunsnet came back on line.
It seemed to be well received, but the audience was small.
So was the membership however, so that follows.

We did put a little work into it so far however.
Some of the info is pretty good.

I'd like to know if a Survival Forum would be welcome here again too?
Is there any interest at all?

Maser**
07-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Sure, I think that's a great idea. I'm all about this survival stuff. My girlfriend bought me one of those mole backpacks and mag puches too. It's cool, you should get one of these.

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Sure, I think that's a great idea. I'm all about this survival stuff. My girlfriend bought me one of those mole backpacks and mag puches too. It's cool, you should get one of these.

I should get one of these?
Really?
I don't know any moles who wear backpacks and what's a puch?

Do me a favor and DON'T help me out here.
In fact, stay as far away from me as possible traitor.

Broondog
07-13-2010, 03:11 AM
I should get one of these?
Really?
I don't know any moles who wear backpacks and what's a puch?

Do me a favor and DON'T help me out here.
In fact, stay as far away from me as possible traitor.

but don't ya know? he knows all about the cool stuff we've never heard of!

L1A1Rocker
07-13-2010, 03:16 AM
I think a survival forum is inevitable. There are too many posts on the topic and too much to sticky to not have one. Since you recognize this need so quickly I'd be willing to nominate you to moderate that forum.

Anyone second?

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 03:21 AM
I think a survival forum is inevitable. There are too many posts on the topic and too much to sticky to not have one. Since you recognize this need so quickly I'd be willing to nominate you to moderate that forum.

Anyone second?

Yes. I think we need one also.
Too much good info floating around not to consolidate it someplace helpful.

chiak47
07-13-2010, 03:29 AM
I'd be willing to nominate you to moderate that forum.

This........

AKTexas
07-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Vote him in.

Maser,please push the abort button.Better late than never.

Uncle Scary
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Anyone second?

People who dwell on "end of the world" scenarios must have some sort of mental issues.
So yes, count me in. I gots my mole puches ready.

renegadebuck
07-13-2010, 01:13 PM

Anyone second?

Here's your second! I would like one. It would be nice to have all the info in one place. Easier to download.

old Grump
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
So come on already get your navigation thread going again. Don't let Chiak47 help though, did you see what he has crawling around on the back of his head? It may be controlling his mind and everything he says may be alien influenced.

chiak47
07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Don't let Chiak47 help though, did you see what he has crawling around on the back of his head?

No, you can not pet the dragon...:pissed:

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 02:21 PM
So come on already get your navigation thread going again. Don't let Chiak47 help though, did you see what he has crawling around on the back of his head? It may be controlling his mind and everything he says may be alien influenced.

I'd enjoy continuing on with the Land Navigation course, but at the moment, I have no idea where to place it here.

:oh:

justinsaneok
07-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Anyone second?

I second .

justinsaneok
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
We started a Survival Forum at our temp place just before Gunsnet came back on line.

Three dog should stay online to enrich the people as a useful survival forum...

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
9 votes so far.
That's a pretty good start.

For you guys that want "me" to Mod it......I have no problem with that.
I'd be more than happy to do it.
But, keep in mind that "THAT" decision is not mine at all.

Right now, I'm just trying to get the forum started if GNS will agree to it.

recon
07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krupski
07-13-2010, 08:41 PM

Well I vote yes... I read through the material quickly and learned a few things I didn't know... and I didn't even read it carefully.

It's good material with great potential. Most certainly a :thumbsup:

ready
07-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I vote yes. It's only natural given the subject of most of our converstions. It doesn't have to be all about nav and picking berries, it could include treating gunshot wounds, stab wounds should they be incurred. Some of you guys don't exactly live around the corner from help and seconds count...

American Rage
07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Heck yeah!

Rage

old Grump
07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I vote yes. It's only natural given the subject of most of our converstions. It doesn't have to be all about nav and picking berries, it could include treating gunshot wounds, stab wounds should they be incurred. Some of you guys don't exactly live around the corner from help and seconds count...

You mean that old guy who lives in the little hut in the woods.

whiskeyman
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I voted yes. Survival is what it's all about.

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 10:27 PM
You mean that old guy who lives in the little hut in the woods.

Mac Muz?

:wink:

cevulirn
07-14-2010, 12:08 AM
TheMrMitch would also qualify for that...

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 12:21 AM
True..........

old Grump
07-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Mac Muz?

:wink:

Well okay, him too.

az_paul
07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I'm in. We all need to be further along on the survival learning curve.

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm in. We all need to be further along on the survival learning curve.

It's a never ending thing really.
I need to learn more about long term food storage and things of that nature.
Many here are well versed in that kind of thing.

AKTexas
07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I have been talking with my uncle about some long term storage ideas,grain storage and even home canning.I'd like to find more information about that subject.

mrkalashnikov
07-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Another yes vote.

I liked posting on the old Survival forums, and all the "what if?" scenarios.

Though in my locale of around 8 million people I don't have any illusions about bugging out to the hills.

chiak47
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Though in my locale of around 8 million people I don't have any illusions about bugging out to the hills.

Your in the Chicago area right?

sevlex
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
...mag puches too.

You know what a pucha is, don't you?

:boozer:

sevlex
07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Another yes vote.

I liked posting on the old Survival forums, and all the "what if?" scenarios.

Required reading should be One Second After. That would disabuse anyone of the idea they can just disappear into the woods for SHTF survival.

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Required reading should be One Second After. That would disabuse anyone of the idea they can just disappear into the woods for SHTF survival.

What's the book about?
I already live in the country. Would this book apply to me or is it about people in cities?

mrkalashnikov
07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Your in the Chicago area right?

Yep, far western 'burbs.

My contingency plan is to sit on my front porch with a cold one, my Kalashnikovs, a lot of ammo, and watch the chaos unfold.

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Yep, far western 'burbs.

My contingency plan is to sit on my front porch with a cold one, my Kalashnikovs, a lot of ammo, and watch the chaos unfold.

That's great until the power goes out, you run out of water, your fridge&freezer doesn't work....then what?
Eventually you'll have to venture out.

Full Otto
07-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Yep, far western 'burbs.

Sounds about right for me too. Already in the sticks and gettin' too old to run.
You still traveling around NW Indiana? You affected by that Cline ave. bridge closure? What a mess, glad I don't do that commute anymore.
That's another consideration, "infrastructure" even if just a road block

sevlex
07-14-2010, 02:19 PM
What's the book about?
I already live in the country. Would this book apply to me or is it about people in cities?

It tells the story of people living in a small NC town when an EMP takes out all the electronics & electrical grid in the US. Great TEOTWAKI story that is based on fact.

I lent the book to a friend and he immediately started building a stockpile of non-perishable foods.

mrkalashnikov
07-14-2010, 02:21 PM
That's great until the power goes out, you run out of water, your fridge&freezer doesn't work....then what?
Eventually you'll have to venture out.

Do you mean that Mr Obama and FEMA won't be here to lend a hand? After all, we were almost neighbors & all.
Seriously though, I have a supply of potable water, canned goods, first aid materials & other assorted things stockpiled. I just don't see it being practical to attempt leaving the area, as the main roads would be hopelessly clogged w/ thousands of Vote Obama-stickered SUVs & mini-vans filled with crazed people, all trying to hightail it out of Dodge at the same time.

mrkalashnikov
07-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Sounds about right for me too. Already in the sticks and gettin' too old to run.
You still traveling around NW Indiana? You affected by that Cline ave. bridge closure? What a mess, glad I don't do that commute anymore.
That's another consideration, "infrastructure" even if just a road block

Yes, I still spend a lot of time in my home-away-from home, the Hoosier state. Travel I-80 quite a bit but never exit Cline Ave.

chiak47
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
What's the book about?

I feel bad for the city fucks that come into my neighborhoods woods..

mrkalashnikov
07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the headsup on that. I believe that's the same book a friend of mine was telling me about the other year, I should check it out.

TEN-32
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM

We have a winner!!!!!!!

Moebrown20
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Anyone second?

I second this action.

Guns Network Staff
07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I have added the Survival Forum right down below in the same section as this forum is in.

I need to have you move your threads manually over to your forum - swampdragon. :D

AKTexas
07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I have added the Survival Forum right down below in the same section as this forum is in.

I need to have you move your threads manually over to your forum - swampdragon. :D

Congrats Swampy!

L1A1Rocker
07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Congrats Swampy!

+1 Congrats Swampy

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Hey! I just logged back on.
Sweet!
I guess the poll shows you are making a few people happy here!
I saw you made a Vet Forum too.
Awesome.
:thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm working outside in the fields today. But I'll start transferring things as soon as I can.
Thanks again.

renegadebuck
07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
+1 Congrats Swampy

Here here!

old Grump
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Now that you is a moderator you got bigger nuts to kick, wow.

http://0.tqn.com/d/longevity/1/0/S/0/-/-/walnut.jpg

Mac_Muz
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Survial forum, Yes.

A mole back pack to carry moles, No.

So far as I know a pucha is a wild man eatting animal that lives just above tree line. So no to them.
Hi Swampy

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Now that you is a moderator you got bigger nuts to kick, wow.

http://0.tqn.com/d/longevity/1/0/S/0/-/-/walnut.jpg

Nah Grump.
I don't plan on moderating anything other than the Survival Forum.
I intend to stay in my lane here unless asked otherwise by the staff.
I'm not exactly what you would call a great role model for the general public.

:coffee:

swampdragon
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Survial forum, Yes.

A mole back pack to carry moles, No.

So far as I know a pucha is a wild man eatting animal that lives just above tree line. So no to them.
Hi Swampy

:lool:

Hey Mac.

Mac_Muz
07-14-2010, 08:36 PM

I don't know how you mean the word disabuse, but depending on a few things you can disappear from view, and or life, as we know it right in the woods. I know because i did for 3 full years.
You don't get to go to the post office, the bank or any stores at all.

You don't need to navigate much, or even know how, but it's a good idea to be creative, make tools from what ever you find, and save anything else. Plus eatting is gonna change. You can expect to be hungery, wet tired and cold, or maybe be too hot, and no one else will know it much less care. Some things you might eat will look nasty and taste worse. Some days are better than others too. I liked the colder days well below 0, no sun burns, rashes from spiney plants, and no dammned bugs. I have just been eatten 1/2 alive by no-seeums in the garden weedin. A lot of the weeds i could eat too, but I got better plants, albeit they are whimmpy compared to weeds. Whimmpy in this case means squashes cucs, corn, taters, and things that need man's hands or machines to live well.

Why you can go live in the woods and tell the so-called authorites you did, and they won't even bother to look, even if you pin point it on a map. The simple fact is they can't, so no one can, so far as they are concerned.

I will warn you that if there are legal contracts and you show up with their papers showing a sign of a little moisture they will whine.

Or maybe it could be it was -40 below when I extended my ever so kind invite to show up at 3AM, and i would have the coffee on, except it wasn't real coffee, since I made it from bark off trees. It was ok by me, and tasted a lot like coffee, but since it came off National Forest trees i called it King's Coffee.

Since i don't understand the meaning of that word disabuse in the way you must mean it said, i can't say if you are correct or not.

Now swampy will wanna kill me fer bein too wordy.. I hear he's keepin a list, so the best I can do is die before he gits me. ;D I am workin it Swampy. still at smokin kinikinik

Yes to you moddin' too I missed that in my haste!

Mac_Muz
07-14-2010, 08:38 PM
:lool:

Hey Mac.

Yes? Uh oh! I tried to post just 'Yes?', and it says i gotta typo 10 digits minimum. I am a dead man fer sure now! ;D

sevlex
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't know how you mean the word disabuse, but depending on a few things you can disappear from view, and or life, as we know it right in the woods. I know because i did for 3 full years.
You don't get to go to the post office, the bank or any stores at all.

You don't need to navigate much, or even know how, but it's a good idea to be creative, make tools from what ever you find, and save anything else. Plus eatting is gonna change. You can expect to be hungery, wet tired and cold, or maybe be too hot, and no one else will know it much less care. Some things you might eat will look nasty and taste worse. Some days are better than others too. I liked the colder days well below 0, no sun burns, rashes from spiney plants, and no dammned bugs. I have just been eatten 1/2 alive by no-seeums in the garden weedin. A lot of the weeds i could eat too, but I got better plants, albeit they are whimmpy compared to weeds. Whimmpy in this case means squashes cucs, corn, taters, and things that need man's hands or machines to live well.

Why you can go live in the woods and tell the so-called authorites you did, and they won't even bother to look, even if you pin point it on a map. The simple fact is they can't, so no one can, so far as they are concerned.

I will warn you that if there are legal contracts and you show up with their papers showing a sign of a little moisture they will whine.

Or maybe it could be it was -40 below when I extended my ever so kind invite to show up at 3AM, and i would have the coffee on, except it wasn't real coffee, since I made it from bark off trees. It was ok by me, and tasted a lot like coffee, but since it came off National Forest trees i called it King's Coffee.

Since i don't understand the meaning of that word disabuse in the way you must mean it said, i can't say if you are correct or not.

Now swampy will wanna kill me fer bein too wordy.. I hear he's keepin a list, so the best I can do is die before he gits me. ;D I am workin it Swampy. still at smokin kinikinik

Yes to you moddin' too I missed that in my haste!

The book shows that there will be a mass exodus from the cities in a TEOTWAKI situation. Thousands of people, rightly or wrongly, will believe they can all survive in the mountains & woods. Anybody trying to disappear in the backcountry will find a lot of company.

In the book, there aren't a whole lot of people who go into the foothills but the supply of game gets exhausted pretty fast anyway.

If you like a good SHTF read, One Second After definitely belongs on you nightstand.

old Grump
07-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Not so much the game will disappear, most of it will still be there but harder to find. I have stood next to two young men who wanted to go deer hunting and I saw a buck and a doe, pointed them out. They could not for their life find those deer right out in the open on a snowy field in the valley. We were maybe 200 yards away from the brush and the deer were 50 yards on our side of the brush, no place to hide unless they lay down and buried themselves in the 10" of snow. People like that can be swamped with small game and never see it.

I could never do what Mac Muz did but I have no problems catching and eating frogs or grasshoppers or crawdads or field mice. I'm to old and creaky to play Tarzan and I might get skinny but not starve. Pretty sure I would lose my sweet disposition if I had to put up with marauders trying to take my space from me. Wait till them suckers are asleep then slip some poison ivy into their coffee or their whiskey bottles. It's good to not be allergic to poison ivy.

Mac_Muz
07-15-2010, 10:26 PM
The book shows that there will be a mass exodus from the cities in a TEOTWAKI situation. Thousands of people, rightly or wrongly, will believe they can all survive in the mountains & woods. Anybody trying to disappear in the backcountry will find a lot of company.

In the book, there aren't a whole lot of people who go into the foothills but the supply of game gets exhausted pretty fast anyway.

If you like a good SHTF read, One Second After definitely belongs on you nightstand.

Ah Now I understand. And no that won't work One man and woman can go do that, but not any city full of people can do that. I hear about this from people from away. I live in the upper half of NH backed up to the national forest. There isn't nearly enough big or small game here to support any city of lost souls. There is for a couple, maybe a few couples, but not any city. Locals hunt at the legal times and after that hats left with the few who come from away the big game need to recover. Not this last winter but the 2 before were hard on game with very deep snow. In the dooryard here there was 6' 9 ".

But this book is fiction I take it, based on what might be" Does it have real skills, or is it quassi, a gun solves everthing?

Old Grump I will be 59 pretty soon, but still quite insane. I don't spend much energy to eat. I burn up calories like no body's business. so I can't afford to not have fast food quick, or waste energy seekinmg out things like big game. Eatting bugs and dirt is where it's at. Steamed clams is just a civlized way to eat mud ya know.

Where I live there is 1 tree and 2 weeds that make suitable coffee, and man oh man I must have coffee. My wife is a tea drinker, you know how that is... ewww Thars lots of trees that make tea yuck.

If you want her you can have her, since the weed teas she makes are just nasty. She says she's tryin ta cure me, but what of?

sevlex
07-15-2010, 11:17 PM
But this book is fiction I take it, based on what might be" Does it have real skills, or is it quassi, a gun solves everthing?

O

It's fiction based on researched "wargaming"; and there are lots of footnotes.

Read it. It will open your eyes :smiley08: - and entertain you at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After

old Grump
07-16-2010, 05:12 PM
It's more work but I prefer my clams out of the shell and baked, fried or roasted, I eat them steamed but personla preference is make them a little crispy or eat them raw.

There is a word for tea drinkers but I always get in trouble when I say it in front of my sister.

Did you ever make acorn coffee? Not really coffee but at least it isn't tea and it does take some getting used to. A lot of burr oak around her so for coffee that is a good thing. Little hard on your belly if it isn't made of cast iron.

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I've never drank a tea yet that I actually liked.

Mac_Muz
07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah I will need the ISBN if possible, going into town isn't much fun and worse in tourist season. It is tourist season, but so far i can't buy a hunting lic for it. Maybe because they are like that bird chukar. Too stupid to fly.

Nope never have made coffee from burr oak because i don't have that type of oak. Mostly here we have red oak, a smattering of pin and black. South of here is white oak which would be what i would prefer, to the leeching process of what I have right here. For the paper birch cambium I can make a very passable coffee like drink. Chickory grows wild here a friggin weed, but that works too. The chickory has a bitter after taste, and the birch has a mint one. Syrups can be made from birch saps in season too, and can be ordered on line even. These days in the woods everywhere, there is people at harvest and gathering to sell on line, or to stores like what is it in Ohio, Leemans? You can get repro antiques, hand water pumps, wooden wheels, lanterns, soaps, and food items from the woods.

You know me well enough, that i really wasn't gonna give my angel away, but i sure wasn't lyin any, when I said these teas are concockshuns no man should ever allow past his lips! I think she is in some competetion with me, and will gather any ol weeds and brew them up to see how good they are, and i am the first victim. I recall having a cold and she concocked up one of who knows what. She told me this would be a cure.

She was right, all of a sudden i was just fine. Being sicker than hell, and not having to drink that mung anymore made me a lot better than I had been.

raxar
07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
I've never drank a tea yet that I actually liked.

you need to try "Turkey Hill Ice Tea"

Blacksmith
07-16-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm not exactly what you would call a great role model for the general public.

:coffee:

LOL
When I first saw that "Moderator" above your avatar, I thought fer sure they had opened up a religious section. :D

Congrats on the mod position Swampy.

old Grump
07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
you need to try "Turkey Hill Ice Tea"
I just googled that stuff thinking it might be like Long Island Iced Tea. But nooo! This Turkey Hill stuff actually has tea in it, you are trying to kill us aren't you?

I tried it, I tried herbal I tried the good stuff and the strong stuff and the cold stuff and prepared different ways and the more I drank the madder my belly got at me. I like my belly and I don't want to make it mad anymore.

raxar
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I just googled that stuff thinking it might be like Long Island Iced Tea. But nooo! This Turkey Hill stuff actually has tea in it, you are trying to kill us aren't you?

I tried it, I tried herbal I tried the good stuff and the strong stuff and the cold stuff and prepared different ways and the more I drank the madder my belly got at me. I like my belly and I don't want to make it mad anymore.

Turkey hill ice tea (along with Swiss Premium and to a lesser extent Icy Tea) are a PA thing, they're a proper ice tea, not like the sugary garbage "sweet tea" you get at McDonalds or the stuff you get out of soda machines. Words can't do it justice.

O.S.O.K.
07-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Looks like we all want to survive....

Maser**
07-17-2010, 03:04 AM
A survival forum would be a great idea. Think I'll be hanging here a lot.

printerman
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
mmmm , tactical bacon ....

DesertDawg
07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
mmmm , tactical bacon ....

wow, way to add to the discussion.

AKTexas
07-26-2010, 02:38 PM
wow, way to add to the discussion.

Look at who it is...Expect much more?

DesertDawg
07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Look at who it is...Expect much more?

No....I guess not.

davepool
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
A survival forum sounds good,the way things are going at work i may need to learn how to eat bugs and tree bark

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
The bugs are easy. The tree bark takes some practice.... :showerrz2cm8:

davepool
07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
:) , glad gunsnet is back up, i missed you guys