PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for An AR...

Ash
06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Over the past few months I've heard of how particular the AR platform is with ammunition. And I've seen arguments for and against reloading ammo for the AR. So what's the real deal. Is it just like everything else where you've got two different sides of the coin and everyone has a different opinion? I can understand that the AR requires some more TLC than some rifles due to some limitations that the DI setup has. So if reloading is going to "gum up" that setup then I definitely don't want to go that route.

So what's all you guy's opinions? If it's a go I'm thinking about reloading the .223, 30-30, .270 and 9mm calibers.

Thanks.

-Ash

Helen Keller
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I havent bought factory .223 ammo in years.

Even my crappiest 55gr FMJ load shoots circles around anything I could get off a shelf.

Trying 75gr BT A-Max this weekend.

Schuetzenman
06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
It is not difficult. I use small base resizing dies and Wolf / Tula brand small magnum rifle primers. I've also used a lot of Remington 7 1/2 small benchrest primers. Powders I use are: Varget and WC844 or Vihtavuori 530. Accurate powder 2230 powder, Accurate 2560 also work good.

Most of the loads I find useful run around 25 to 25.5 grs. Bullet weight varies how much powder to use for any particular grade or brand of powder.

Case length needs to be kept nominal by trimming if they grow in length. Let them get long and your rifles bolt won't fully engage. A milspec case can easily last 10 reloadings.

I've loaded on a single stage press and a Dillion 550 B. The single stage is 60 rounds an hour, the Dillion is 400 rounds / hour. Reloading becomes a second hobby really, though it does compliment the weapon hobby. The satisfaction of making tack driving loads or just saving a ton of money per round is fun, well at least to me it is.

arcangel
06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks Schuetz for the heads up on the different powder selection. Currenty I use H-Varget, Remington 7 1/2 benchrest small rifle primer, Hornaday's 55gr fmj, and LC brass, and noticed way better results so far.

When Im not so lazy Im going to order up some 168gr 308 BTHPs and 175gr SMK for the DPMS AP4, and run some testing.

Only bummer so far is using a hand press to reload, those rounds really make me work for them.

guns-n-tonic
06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
i have a friend that reloads and finds it easy and cheap and may decide to start selling locally

abpt1
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I say use Varget I dont think its possble to double or over charge a .223/5.56 rd with that powder ...Great for beginners .

Schuetzenman
06-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks Schuetz for the heads up on the different powder selection. Currenty I use H-Varget, Remington 7 1/2 benchrest small rifle primer, Hornaday's 55gr fmj, and LC brass, and noticed way better results so far.

When Im not so lazy Im going to order up some 168gr 308 BTHPs and 175gr SMK for the DPMS AP4, and run some testing.

Only bummer so far is using a hand press to reload, those rounds really make me work for them.

You're welcome. Varget and the 69 gr. Sierra is a very accurate combo. I haven't dialed in my 77 gr. load well enough to beat the 69's yet but it is a goal.