PDA

View Full Version : solar flares

yankeedog
06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Anyone getting any radio stations from far away?
I just picked up Buenos Aires, Argentina here in Southern Indiana bleeding over a local station at 4:45PM central standard time!

Ruskiegunlover
06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
the two are connected?

slamfire51
06-10-2011, 05:49 PM
You would think solar flares would cause interference and NOT provide atmospheric conditions to enhance "skip".

alismith
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM
the two are connected?

Yes. Sun activity influences various atmospheric layers that can enhance "skip" conditions. I believe it's the "E" layer that is most used by Hams to work skip. Usually, with increased solar flares, the "E" layer shifts upwards and allows far away stations to bounce their signals farther distances.

Usually, FM frequencies don't bounce and don't skip as much as the AM frequencies do.

Even though skip can be a good thing for Hams, it can cause problems for stations using AM frequencies as their normal local areas lose their signal, yet that same signal travels, hundreds, or thousands of miles farther away.

Helen Keller
06-10-2011, 06:32 PM
my radio stations up here are all dicked up today.

stinker
06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Sattelite radio was fubared big time last night into early this morning.
Not sure if it was the channel or the whole radio because i did'nt switch stations.
It's been working fine all day today though.

Infidelski
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Here in Northeast Florida I noticed some not so normal shiz going on last night and again this morning. Our cell phones were completely tripping out last night where we usually have good service (like ringing without a caller and signaling texts that were not there) and this morning I thought the am/fm radio had broken in the Cadillac (slightly overlayed stations/enough to be an audio annoyance) but by 2pm its was all cleared up. Could be the wildfires we're having down here but guess these are probably due to the recent solar flare

O.S.O.K.
06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
And it starts....

Everybody got adequate supplies of food, guns, ammo?

:ohsnap:

Seriously, if what NASA has been reporting as a possibility comes to pass, I would expect the shitstorm to start just like this - abnormal levels of flares, disruptions, etc.

Lock and load.

Infidelski
06-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't know if its going to be like that but if the interference starts messing with automobiles and basic utilities (electric/internet/cableTV)
then it for sure will be playing havoc with industrial systems/networks and then yes civility could get freaky...

Partisan1983
06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't know if it's related, but my cell phone has been really fucked up all day.

davepool
06-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't know if it's related, but my cell phone has been really fucked up all day.

It is, after tomorrow it will be past us.

If the earth ever gets a direct straight line hit from one of these sun storms we'll lose a lot more than radio and cell phone communication, the end of life here could be a real possibility. The odds are pretty high against this happening, but it could happen.

davepool
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6631818/2010-to-2012-Will-Have-Massive-Sun-Storms-and-Solar-Flares-Causing-Massive-Communication-Malfunction-and-Mobile-Phone-Blackouts

Those of you who like to read science fiction/fact read Arthur C.Clarks collaboration with Stephan Baxter called Sunstorm it will scare the poop out of you.

yankeedog
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
2010 to 2012 Will Have Massive Sun Storms and Solar Flares Causing Massive Communication Malfunction and Mobile Phone Blackouts
I thought it said"mobile home blackouts" !!!!!