PDA

View Full Version : Polytech AK in 5.56

insider
06-14-2011, 04:46 AM
A Polytech AK in 5.56x45, are they worth the money? I hear magazines are very difficult to find, can the magwell be milled out to accept Norinco mags? What about the EG Weiger .223 mags, I hear they are similar to the Polytech mags? I have a choice between the Norinco, and the Polytech, I like the Poly because it has the folding spike bayonet. So, what's the lowdown?

Schuetzenman
06-14-2011, 06:07 AM
It's worth what ever you think it's worth. Polytech by reputation commands a better price than plain old Norinco weapons. I would advise not doing anything to the mag well in the case of either weapon as they do have a collector following. If you just want a 5.56 AK, get an Arsenal USA rifle. Not collector class.

imanaknut
06-14-2011, 09:20 AM
The Poly Tech does command a greater price because they were rarer than the Norinco 84S.

What ever you do, NEVER modify a firearm in a manner that it can't be returned to original. If you do any work to the mag well, you can pretty much call your rifle a zero dollar weapon, with only it's value as a firearm, something no collector would touch.

You can modify a Norinco 84S mag to work in the Poly Tech that would still allow it to fit in the 84S as well. You would have to google it as I personally don't remember the exact mod, but I do know that somewhere in my box-o-mags I have one 84S mag that locks into my Poly .223.

insider
08-25-2011, 12:51 AM
What is the difference between the Norinco, and the Polytech mags? I've always heard the Poly's were narrower, is that true?

insider
11-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Someone, anyone?

imanaknut
11-25-2011, 02:03 AM
I believe the only difference between the 84S mag and the AKS-223 mag is the height of the front lug. I have a couple of 84S mags that were modified to work in both weapons, but with the price of the Poly Tech mags I am not going to see if I can get them to work the other way.

It actually shocked me when I got an 84S mag that worked in the Poly and saw that someone had modified the mag a bit to get it to fit in both. Now if I can only figure out where I put them!!!!!

insider
11-26-2011, 01:31 AM
I believe the only difference between the 84S mag and the AKS-223 mag is the height of the front lug. I have a couple of 84S mags that were modified to work in both weapons, but with the price of the Poly Tech mags I am not going to see if I can get them to work the other way.

It actually shocked me when I got an 84S mag that worked in the Poly and saw that someone had modified the mag a bit to get it to fit in both. Now if I can only figure out where I put them!!!!!
We need to get one of each mag do a side by side comparison, and lay this issue to rest once and for all. I have a chance to get a nice Poly .223 spiker, but the hard to find mags are an issue.