PDA

View Full Version : Army to drop black beret from everyday wear

Richard Simmons
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
After ten years they are relegating the black beret to dress wear only.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110613/pl_afp/usmilitaryuniform

old Grump
06-14-2011, 02:10 PM
It was a bad idea 10 years ago and the fact that they are keeping it for dress wear is still a bad idea. I'm glad I was out of the reserves before they brought it in, the baseball cap was bad enough. I would toss mine in the window of any truck passing by and put my fatigue cap back on. First didn't mind and my platoon sgt didn't didn't mind but the CO used to go ape on me. If I would have to wear that silly beret I would have gone ape on him.

Hell the old civil war slouch hat looked more sensible than the beret did. Wish I still had mine and no it wasn't original issue.

yankeedog
06-14-2011, 03:57 PM
they should wear something more American like a cowboy hat!

Richard Simmons
06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
they should wear something more American like a cowboy hat!

Actually I read something recently that mentioned going to the old, cavalry style hat or perhaps like the Army and USMC drill instructors wear. Better protection from the sun and other elements. Don't recall if it was just a suggestion or something that was actually being considered?

btcave
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I hated that beret! Good riddance to that Chinese made black wool frenchie tampon!

old Grump
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I hated that beret! Good riddance to that Chinese made black wool frenchie tampon!My nephew called it that and I thought it was original but I guess not huh?

daemon734
06-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Actually I read something recently that mentioned going to the old, cavalry style hat or perhaps like the Army and USMC drill instructors wear. Better protection from the sun and other elements. Don't recall if it was just a suggestion or something that was actually being considered?

That was referring to the cavalry stetson and it was an April fools joke. The stetson is still worn in cav units, usually one workday a week and on ceremonial occasion.